+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
I went through a name change myself but in Ontario but at the beginning of the year. Filled the form electronically then printed it and mailed it to IRCC.
Passport Canada will not give you a new passport with the new name until you have a new certificate with the new name, they do not recognize a provincial legal change of name. In the meantime, I travelled so many times with a passport that had my old name on it with no problems at all.
Quick question
After name change process, I have to change all ID's then I have to apply for Proof of Certificate or can apply only with name change certificate and old name ID's?

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
Quick question
After name change process, I have to change all ID's then I have to apply for Proof of Certificate or can apply only with name change certificate and old name ID's?
I don't think it matters but I applied for proof of citizenship after I changed all my IDs and I sent a photocopy of both, old and new. Like for DL, i sent a photocopy of the old one with the old name and a photocopy of the temp paper that I got from ServiceOntario.

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
Perfect,I just done finger prints(2-3 weeks) for name change, after I'll submit application for legal name change.(3-4 Months)
Then I'll change my all id's( 2-3 weeks) and send proof of citizenship.(4-5 months)
I think almost 6-8 months process.
For Calgary,Alberta
Got Provincial name change certificate.
Fingerprints Nov 16
Received Nov 22
Name Change applied Nov 22
Received Dec 9
Sooner I'll apply for Proof

Triol80t

Sep 6, 2018
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 25, 2018.

2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 15, 2018.

3. We sent your citizenship certificate on December 12, 2019 to: Address. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.

Thank you to everybody support and encouragement.

Hawk thank you very much. Your comment was wonderful.

Resullence, i hope you get a positive response soon.

Everybody please hang-on. To would turn out positive.

Domisky, thanks for the encouragement.

Total time from receipt at Nova Scotia is about 19.5 months

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 25, 2018.

2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 15, 2018.

3. We sent your citizenship certificate on December 12, 2019 to: Address. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.

Thank you to everybody support and encouragement.

Hawk thank you very much. Your comment was wonderful.

Resullence, i hope you get a positive response soon.

Everybody please hang-on. To would turn out positive.

Domisky, thanks for the encouragement.

Total time from receipt at Nova Scotia is about 19.5 months
Ooh dear
Congrats so so happy for you.
What an awesome Christmas present and best way to end 2019.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Hi Everyone... let me start of by saying I am really happy such discussion threads are available.

I had sent my application for Proof of Citizenship through the High Commission of Canada to South Africa in Pretoria in October 2019. The high commission had indicated my application would be sent to Canada (after I had to resend photos) on the 28th October 2019. It seems the office responsible for processing these kinds of applications has a backlog of 2 - 3 months; I used the Web form feature to ask them what is going on (about a week ago from now)... they responded and said they currently processing applications that were filed on or before 16 September 2019.

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
Hi Everyone... let me start of by saying I am really happy such discussion threads are available.

I had sent my application for Proof of Citizenship through the High Commission of Canada to South Africa in Pretoria in October 2019. The high commission had indicated my application would be sent to Canada (after I had to resend photos) on the 28th October 2019. It seems the office responsible for processing these kinds of applications has a backlog of 2 - 3 months; I used the Web form feature to ask them what is going on (about a week ago from now)... they responded and said they currently processing applications that were filed on or before 16 September 2019.
The turn around transit period from embassy (Africa)to Nova Scotia is about 2.5months period time frame....is usually sent thru diplomatic bag and definitely they wont send only your application because of the cost implications so they wait until there is sizable items to be included.
My advice... relax till they receive it and send AOR to you maybe by January max...Goodluck while you wait.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
The turn around transit period from embassy (Africa)to Nova Scotia is about 2.5months period time frame....is usually sent thru diplomatic bag and definitely they wont send only your application because of the cost implications so they wait until there is sizable items to be included.
My advice... relax till they receive it and send AOR to you maybe by January max...Goodluck while you wait.
Thank you so much for the additional information. In the email I sent to the High Commission of Canada to South Africa, they did indicate the application will be sent through the diplomatic pouch, and the time it is sent varies from 1 week to 1 month, depending on the size and contents. I am really hoping I get the AOR sometime in January 2020 (mid Jan 2020).

Also I have seen some comments about applications being sent to Support Unit, or DNA testing being recommended by the embassy. Under what conditions to both these cases occur?

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
Thank you so much for the additional information. In the email I sent to the High Commission of Canada to South Africa, they did indicate the application will be sent through the diplomatic pouch, and the time it is sent varies from 1 week to 1 month, depending on the size and contents. I am really hoping I get the AOR sometime in January 2020 (mid Jan 2020).

Also I have seen some comments about applications being sent to Support Unit, or DNA testing being recommended by the embassy. Under what conditions to both these cases occur?
Hopefully early January you should receive your AOR...as regards DNA testing and PSU...from what I understand If the date on your birth certificate and the date of your birth registration is maybe 2/3/4 years or more apart they might want to scrutinize it more because most births are registered almost immediately max less than 6months after delivery...and also the circumstance surrounding your right to Canadian citizenship....besides that you should be fine.

Reactions: Rullence

sasa19091

Feb 14, 2012
I am wondering if any May/June applicants would have an update... I applied by the end of June but haven’t heard back after the AOR ( it is a routine application for a certificate replacement).. It has been 7 months already so I called them and have been told that they currently have a large volume of applications and are working on a first come first serve basis..Thanks!

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
I am wondering if any May/June applicants would have an update... I applied by the end of June but haven’t heard back after the AOR ( it is a routine application for a certificate replacement).. It has been 7 months already so I called them and have been told that they currently have a large volume of applications and are working on a first come first serve basis..Thanks!
I applied in March and got it back in July. Less than four months of processing.Read my previous post from my timeline

sasa19091

Feb 14, 2012
I applied in March and got it back in July. Less than four months of processing.Read my previous post from my timeline
Thank you! ....I did read that and expected the same... but I am guessing they may have had the application volume issue after that so was wondering if anyone had sent an application closer to the end of June when I sent mine.

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
Thank you! ....I did read that and expected the same... but I am guessing they may have had the application volume issue after that so was wondering if anyone had sent an application closer to the end of June when I sent mine.
Hopefully you’ll hear back soon. did you keep a copy of your app? Read over it to make sure you didn’t make any mistakes.
why are you replacing it ?

sasa19091

Feb 14, 2012
Hopefully you’ll hear back soon. did you keep a copy of your app? Read over it to make sure you didn’t make any mistakes.
why are you replacing it ?
No mistakes as far as I know... it is a routine application to change the name on the certificate... The call center told me the reason for the delay is that they currently have a higher volume of applications, so I was looking to figure out how far behind are they by checking if anyone else had a similar timeline and is experiencing a delay as well.

Last edited:

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Hey, its mid January now (18 Jan 2020 at the time of this post) and I have not received the AOR. Sent the documents to High Commission on the 14th October 2019, and they confirmed everything was complete and they would send to Canada (on the 28th October 2019). I have a feeling the turn-around time has increased to 3 months before hearing something [they said 3 to 4 months to account for mailing time]. I really hope end January or early February I get my AOR.