+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, it's not
IRB is an independent administrative tribunal that is responsible for making well-founded and fair decisions on immigration and refugee matters, efficiently and in accordance with the law. Established by an Act of Parliament, the IRB decides on refugee applications made by individuals who land in Canada and make an asylum claim to be in need of protection.
You can have an independent board and still be part of the government department of immigration, refugee and citizenship of Canada. There are so many departments and services under IRCC.

Jan 10, 2017
Unfortunately nobody ever promised that cases would be processed in order. I do understand that it is very frustrating. It seems like the system was overwhelmed and in an attempt to try and improve the system files got left behind in the old process because they had already started to be processed this way. The legacy files from 2012 have almost all been resolved so they have definitely been waiting the longest. While waiting Canada does provide work permits, healthcare, welfare, shelter for many, language courses, etc. This would not be the case in many other countries. Although I am sure it is frustrating to wait there is a lot of opportunity to get a job, integrate, learn English/French, etc.
Yes, IRB did promised to process the cases in order they referred to it but that rule was in effect for 2 months only and then they started placing people in the loophole by finalizing claims of people who came in this year. That is so frustrating and unfair. Please don't give me your repeating words that "In mean time you're getting free healthcare, jobs, language courses. I'm paying 25% taxes from my salary and I'm not using much healthcare system as I'm paying taxes for. Again I'm not complaining but just trying to give you insight of a refugee claimant life. I was always seen in your comments "Canadian tax payer money" for your kind of information many refugee claimants are paying taxes too and some of them earning more than many Canadian so there is no need to always remind that. I always be grateful to Canada to allow me to live freely while I'm waiting for my hearing and in future I would do my best to contribute my skills for this beautiful country.

Reactions: syed009

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Yes, IRB did promised to process the cases in order they referred to it but that rule was in effect for 2 months only and then they started placing people in the loophole by finalizing claims of people who came in this year. That is so frustrating and unfair. Please don't give me your repeating words that "In mean time you're getting free healthcare, jobs, language courses. I'm paying 25% taxes from my salary and I'm not using much healthcare system as I'm paying taxes for. Again I'm not complaining but just trying to give you insight of a refugee claimant life. I was always seen in your comments "Canadian tax payer money" for your kind of information many refugee claimants are paying taxes too and some of them earning more than many Canadian so there is no need to always remind that. I always be grateful to Canada to allow me to live freely while I'm waiting for my hearing and in future I would do my best to contribute my skills for this beautiful country.
Agree with that, all the refugees that I know they pay a big portion of taxes and a lot of them are a business owner who employees Canadian.
living in social assistance it's not a dream for refugees who fleed from their country. it's just refugee phobia

Reactions: 9990

syed009

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Looks good:

La version française suit le texte anglais.

Starting July 31, you’ll see a progress bar for your In-Canada protected persons and Convention refugees application. The progress bar shows the time elapsed since we received your application and will give you an estimated completion date based on our latest estimated processing times.

The progress bar will be available only if you have linked your application to your online account. Find out how to create an online account and link your application.

We’ll let you know by email when the progress bar is available for your application.
Is it also for claimants?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree with that, all the refugees that I know they pay a big portion of taxes and a lot of them are a business owner who employees Canadian.
living in social assistance it's not a dream for refugees who fleed from their country. it's just refugee phobia
Highly unlikely that lots of asylum claimants business owners that are paying the highest tax rates. It’s just not realistic.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would disagree that the majority of asylum claimants are high income earners and are employed. The fact that Toronto property taxes are paying huge fees for shelter costs would indicate otherwise. 25% tax is actually pretty minimal tax rate compared to most Canadians. If you compare to say the US or UK asylum claimants have very little support or no opportunities to work so I do think Canadian asylum seekers are not left in a position where they can’t work, access healthcare (more coverage than most Canadians actually), access to free legal representation, access schooling for their children, etc. The system is far from perfect but there was suddenly a huge increase in asylum claimants and it took a while to sort things out and the system will remain overwhelmed for the foreseeable future because of the multiple appeal options. People seem to expect the Canadian government to be 100% fair and efficient. Nobody in Canada would expect this. If you live in Canada you expect long wait times and people just have to wait. It will certainly not be the last time you wait for something in Canada, I see people complaining that they haven’t heard about the results of their case soon after they have been selected as less complex cases after arriving at the end of 2018/2019. @adbcca you would be waiting for over 2 years like @SAMER MAHER had there not been a change in the system. I assume you feel empathy for @SAMER MAHER but I am guessing you would be unwilling to switch places. Given the millions of refugees around the world many who are living in awful circumstances I just don’t understand how people feel so mistreated. Millions of people would happily come to Canada and wait for a hearing in relative comfort compared to what they are going through.

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Unfortunately nobody ever promised that cases would be processed in order. I do understand that it is very frustrating. It seems like the system was overwhelmed and in an attempt to try and improve the system files got left behind in the old process because they had already started to be processed this way. The legacy files from 2012 have almost all been resolved so they have definitely been waiting the longest. While waiting Canada does provide work permits, healthcare, welfare, shelter for many, language courses, etc. This would not be the case in many other countries. Although I am sure it is frustrating to wait there is a lot of opportunity to get a job, integrate, learn English/French, etc.
I got an excellent job from day 1 and frustrating is not the word in this situation, especially when you see ppl come after you by years getting hearing and PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got an excellent job from day 1 and frustrating is not the word in this situation, especially when you see ppl come after you by years getting hearing and PR.
Understand that you are frustrated. On a positive note you have not been sitting in a refugee shelter somewhere waiting for your hearing instead you are building your career, earning money, etc.

Reactions: syed009