+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

adarazi

Sep 25, 2018
Congratulations bro , well i applied for a refugee on end of jan 2018 , and they make postponed for my hearing after 3 months ...on Saturday i got a call from my lawyer that my hearing will be on 12th of december this year...

I want to ask you how was your hearing court , what did they ask you ? did they ask a specific details

Reactions: Jalalcananda

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Jalal bro please let us know about your hearing and all the very best :)
Thank you, everyone,
The hearing was long and difficult. The judge was a very nice lady but too smart. she was asking very smart questions. I think she already read everything and even before the hearing, she had made her mind.
I think the BOC form is the most important one. You have to know everything in details.
The chronological order of events is very important. I suggest to drow a timeline of your life from birth to now and put all the events of your life on it so you can have an image of all the events in order. The judge can ask very difficult questions just by the time the events happened.
You must know everything about yourself, your family, your siblings, your country and anything related to you.
When she gave me the 30 min break I was very disappointed and was thinking she is going to give me a negative answer but surprisingly she started the second half of the meeting whit her desition that was positive and then she was reading her reasons for the positive answer. It was very long and several pages and she read it for 20 minutes.
I suggest answering questions very carefully. do not guess anything and be honest because they ask the same question again later in different words. be confident and speak clearly. The lawyer is not talking unless at end of the hearing that they might ask you more questions to help you give more clear answers.
I think your country of origin and its acceptance rate is very important and will affect the judge desition.
There are around 50 rooms for hearing on 2 floors and many people are there waiting. I noticed most of them are from Nigeria!
You can enter your room 30 min before and be familiar with the room and be relax until the judge enters the room.
Overall I think the hearing is fair and is not as tough as we think but we have to be very honest and do not try to hide anything.
If you have any question I am ready to share my thoughts.
The day after the hearing is such a good day and you will fill so fresh and relax. This 11 months since my application to hearing was like 20 years for me.
Looking forward to hearing good news from you.
Jalal

Jan 10, 2017
You explained very well...!
The judge can ask very difficult questions just by the time the events happened.
What type of questions they asked in particular about events because my story is filled with lot of events that's why I am asking about it.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
You explained very well...!

What type of questions they asked in particular about events because my story is filled with lot of events that's why I am asking about it.
That is a difficult question. it depends on what the judge thinks about your application and which part are not clear to him/her.
You must be ready for questions about everything. The reason you can not return to your country is the most important one. They ask again and again why you think you are in danger and how you can prove it.

Reactions: 9990

Um Zainab

May 4, 2018
Hi everyone, I received a mail from the IRB ,they told me that my case will go through expidite process and they asked me to send supporting documents. My question is how long does it take to get a decision after sending the documents?