+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes I did.

Doesnt the interview you get within a week of arriving usually clear that up? Dont the immigration officers who perform it have the power to say if your claim is valid or not?

And thank you for your wishes, I'm hoping for the best.
The first hearing is just to determine if you have the right to have your case for asylum heard. Many will be refused asylum after their hearing.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Hello everyone ,

I have a question to ask. When I arrived in canada as a student, I was given a work permit of 20 hours each week and the sin number too. Now I will apply for work permit as a refugee claimant , so my question is , how can I let the immigrations know that I do have a sin number already ? Or my previous sin number will be cancelled and I will get a new sin number? Please let me know . Thanks
Sin number is valid until its expire date. It does not matter your status changed from work permit to refugee or student to refugee. I was using my sin which I toke with my close work permit after I applied for refugee and it was valid until I was accepted. After getting your work permit as refugee you can extend your sin.

mingota19

Aug 16, 2017
18 years ago,waiting time for hearings was 6 months . from the USA-Canada Border, you knew already when your hearing would take place.and exactly on the date given you will you would be in court .things changed .

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Now I will apply for work permit as a refugee claimant , so my question is , how can I let the immigrations know that I do have a sin number already ?
Include a copy of your SIN number with the application. The only time your SIN number will change is when you receive your PR and you apply for a Permenent SIN.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Include a copy of your SIN number with the application. The only time your SIN number will change is when you receive your PR and you apply for a Permenent SIN.
I think that is not correct. You will get a permanent sin when you are accepted. Anyway there is no need to report the sin number. Only employyers and CRA are interested in sin number.

Um Zainab

May 4, 2018
Nice, congrats!
Have you asked for a priority hearing? have you done anything recently? I applied before you but nothing yet.
Thank you. Actually 4 month ago l Called the IRB to asked about my hearing and I suggested to chose my case for expedite process but they told me I don’t have to suggest that because every case from the priority countries will go under expedite process.but also they told me even l received the expedite process form, that doesn’t mean that my case is finalized,it still need to scan by the judge.if he is persuaded with my evidence I will be accepted without hearing.If not I will go through a hearing.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Thank you. Actually 4 month ago l Called the IRB to asked about my hearing and I suggested to chose my case for expedite process but they told me I don’t have to suggest that because every case from the priority countries will go under expedite process.but also they told me even l received the expedite process form, that doesn’t mean that my case is finalized,it still need to scan by the judge.if he is persuaded with my evidence I will be accepted without hearing.If not I will go through a hearing.
That is great to hear you are expedited. But my personal experience with the expedited process was not good. I was expedited one month after application. They asked for more documents and I sent them in 15 days. Then I had a false hope that I will get the answer soon but for 8 months there was no news at all. 8 months! and I was checking the mailbox every day with hope to see the IRB letter. Finally, I called them several times and they said the caseworkers' group was changed and they canceled many expedited cases including me. The sad part is they will not inform us if we are still expedited or not.
Then I had a hearing scheduled and canceled and scheduled again and canceled and finally, I had my hearing.
I am not sure what is going on in IRB We have to wait and be patient and also we have to be ready for unexpected events too.
It is so difficult to live with false hope and then be disappointed. :(

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Yes, that is correct.
I'm calling every 2-3 months and they keep telling me it's First In First Out which is ridiculous, sadly enough I can't tell them off. But at least your case was moved which is great either way (hearing or approval).

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Yes, that is correct.
I'm calling every 2-3 months and they keep telling me it's First In First Out which is ridiculous, sadly enough I can't tell them off. But at least your case was moved which is great either way (hearing or approval).
I wish they knew behind each bundle of papers there is the life of a family. Maybe your case fell down under the table and no one noticed. I would not be surprised if this joke is indeed true!

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
I wish they knew behind each bundle of papers there is the life of a family. Maybe your case fell down under the table and no one noticed. I would not be surprised if this joke is indeed true!
I told them that and they say we have a ''SYSTEM''. I met the ugly face of Canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I think that is not correct. You will get a permanent sin when you are accepted
Only Canadian citizens and Permenent Residents qualify for a permenent SIN number.

SINs that begin with a "9" are issued to temporary workers who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents. The use of these SINs is temporary and are valid only until the expiry date indicated on the immigration document authorizing them to work in Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/temporary.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/reports/apply.html#otp3