+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident TRAVEL DOCUMENT PROCESSING TIMES

mimiwoolman

Apr 25, 2018
Someone stole my wallet with my PR card inside. I’m booked for cruise from LA to Vancouver this April 28th. I have a valid Philippine passport and valid US visitors visa but I don’t have PR card. I was advised by CIC to apply a PRTD (Permanent Resident TravelDocument in Los Angeles) anybody knows how long the processing? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kamalt

Apr 13, 2017
Hi guys,

I am confused about residency obligation when applying for prtd

I landed and became pr on Aug 23, 2018. I had to leave Canada due to work on Sept 9, 2018. I am planning to resign and leave by end of October 2018. What documents should I show for residency obligations? I do not have a job in Canada. I will resign from my current job and lok for a new one when I travel back. I have passport and Corp but I don't really know what should I provide for resident obligations. Any ideas?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

I am confused about residency obligation when applying for prtd

I landed and became pr on Aug 23, 2018. I had to leave Canada due to work on Sept 9, 2018. I am planning to resign and leave by end of October 2018. What documents should I show for residency obligations? I do not have a job in Canada. I will resign from my current job and lok for a new one when I travel back. I have passport and Corp but I don't really know what should I provide for resident obligations. Any ideas?
Just follow the instructions. You will have no problem getting a PRTD. Make sure to apply early. Some countries take a long time to process.

Reactions: Ddkim

kamalt

Apr 13, 2017
Just follow the instructions. You will have no problem getting a PRTD. Make sure to apply early. Some countries take a long time to process.
Hi canuck78

Thanks for the response. I am in Dubai and will be applying next week. As I am going to resign from my current work, what document should I show for residency obligation?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You'll have to look it up. Applications coming from the Middle East seem to have a much longer processing time. The office which I believe is in Saudi Arabia, seems very slow. I would search the forum for people who have recently applied for a PRTD from the same office.

kamalt

Apr 13, 2017
You'll have to look it up. Applications coming from the Middle East seem to have a much longer processing time. The office which I believe is in Saudi Arabia, seems very slow. I would search the forum for people who have recently applied for a PRTD from the same office.
The office is in Abu dhabi but I couldn't find processing time on the website for prtd. But what document should I provide for residency obligations

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

kamalt

Apr 13, 2017
Which website are you referring? Canuck said the forum - this forum and here is a relatively recent thread on this:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-abu-dhabi.558174/

In addition, you can ask the VAC for the processing time.
i was referring to cic website. I couldn't find any processing times for PRTD application.

anyways, i will apply tomorrow as i plan to travel last week of October. I still have doubt on what documents to provide for residency obligations. I have CORP and passport with me but there is nothing else that I can provide. Can someone please guide me on this?

Thanks
Kamal

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I landed and became pr on Aug 23, 2018. I had to leave Canada due to work on Sept 9, 2018. I am planning to resign and leave by end of October 2018. What documents should I show for residency obligations?
anyways, i will apply tomorrow as i plan to travel last week of October. I still have doubt on what documents to provide for residency obligations. I have CORP and passport with me but there is nothing else that I can provide. Can someone please guide me on this?
Your CoPR is sufficient to establish compliance with the PR Residency Obligation until August 22, 2021, because until that date the CoPR, on its face, it shows that less than 1095 days have passed since the date you landed.

There is NO possible factual question, let alone doubt, about compliance with the PR RO until the third year anniversary of the date of landing, since no matter how long the PR has been outside Canada until that day there are enough days left until the fifth year anniversary for the PR to meet the PR RO.

Nonetheless, complete the application including declaration of travel dates.

Genesis76

Star Member
Jan 26, 2016
London (Ontario)
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
Nomination.....
12-10-2016
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
IELTS Request
No need
Med's Request
28-02-2018
Med's Done....
09-03-2018
Hello everyone, hope someone could help me with this situation. I just received my confirmation of PR and I will 'land' officially one of these days. After I land theoretically I have to wait around 70 days (according to website) to receive by mail the PR card. I was thinking to leave Canada for Xmas vacation and go to my home country (Italy - visa exempt) for 3 weeks. I was reading around that I would need the PR Travel Document to come back to Canada. Is anybody in my situation? I'm worried that Canadian embassy in Italy will not process the document in time. Or can I enter to Canada as visitor (even though I am full time worker here)? Thank you in advance for your help.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hello everyone, hope someone could help me with this situation. I just received my confirmation of PR and I will 'land' officially one of these days. After I land theoretically I have to wait around 70 days (according to website) to receive by mail the PR card. I was thinking to leave Canada for Xmas vacation and go to my home country (Italy - visa exempt) for 3 weeks. I was reading around that I would need the PR Travel Document to come back to Canada. Is anybody in my situation? I'm worried that Canadian embassy in Italy will not process the document in time. Or can I enter to Canada as visitor (even though I am full time worker here)? Thank you in advance for your help.
if u search the forum you will find many are in the same situation i.e. they are awaiting for PR cards and need to travel.

for a PR there are only two ways to enter canada - with the PR card or the PRTD. you cannot apply for a visitor visa. your best bet would be to apply for a PRTD as soon as you land back in Italy and request them to process it urgently. some visa offices are known to process then in 5-10 days so hope you get lucky.

Reactions: Ddkim and Genesis76

Lapi

Oct 16, 2018
Hi, i am in Egypt Cairo for vacancy and my PR expired. I asked to travel document to VAC the 19 September 2018. I dont hâve any answer from Embassy. Someone Knowles how much times the process. Please help me.

Compro

Oct 10, 2018
Hello, could someone pls share what they know in regards to my question - do visa offices abroad really verify whether an applicant for a PRTD is in compliance with residency obligation of 730 days?

I am asking because I have a pending application for PR card renewal and it is taking a while. I returned to Canada using PRTD on April 1 this year. My total days in Canada is only about 790 days out of recent 5 years.

In my application for renewal of PR card, I wrote in my cover letter that I received in April this year a PRTD hoping that the person processing my PR card renewal will rely on the PRTD which would not have been issued if I wasn't in compliance with RO. Hoping that he/she would figure that if I had 790 days in April 2018 when I returned to Canada and had not left a single day since I returned, that I must still be at 790 days now that he/she is processing my application for PR card renewal. I hope I made sense.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Last edited:

Lapi

Oct 16, 2018
Hi,

PRTD
19/09/2018 asked
29/10/2018 received

Today i received message from the Cairo Visa Office to collect my passport in the VAC.
After 5 long weeks and 3 days exactly.
Never take a chances if job is Waiting for u.
Because they dont care about that.
Very very stressful.

Thank you.

Reactions: Ddkim

redpanda505

Sep 27, 2017
Hey I am in australia currently without a pr card as I left before it arrived (2 months after becoming an approved pr of Canada)
Does anyone have experience getting a prtd in sydney?? Can I just go to the office in sydney to drop off/pick up my passport and forms? How long does it take?
Also im confused about some ofthe questions, how do I prove that I WILL meet the requirements of 730 days?? I've only been a PR for 2 months.. I plan to stay the next few years but how do i prove that??
And what does it mean by "have you been employed outside of canada by a canadian business?" Does that include my job at a hotel in canada that I am returning to when I get back? Will recent payslips prove this??