+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident TRAVEL DOCUMENT PROCESSING TIMES

Sasha000

Newbie
Feb 6, 2014
8
0
Hi! I hope someone can help or have some useful information.

My PR card was lost a month ago and I am planning a trip to Europe in 3 weeks for a couple of weeks. I called CIC and found out that I cannot apply for an urgent PR card processing and they advised me to request a Travel document or else I may get refused at the customs upon my return. I just got a sweet headache upon receiving this news.

I am from a visa exempt country and the responsible VAC is Vienna. Now, I am contemplating sending the request via mail while still in Canada and keep my fingers crossed it gets approved and delivered before my trip or taking a day trip to Vienna when I'm in EU.

I guess my 2 questions would be:
1. Has anyone sent the request via mail to Vienna from Canada and how long did it take to receive the Travel Document?
2. For the people who went to Vienna in person; did you bring just the forms and documents requested in the application package?

Thank you very much!
Sasha
 

fsw_2014_2281

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
133
8
gibda said:
I have a passport from visa exempt country and my husband does not. Both mine and his application were done at the same time.
Hello,

Just read your messages about applying travel document,,in this case can we apply in any embassy in europe?if we are living in europe.

I see many countries direct through VAC which is taking 4 weeks.your seems so easy and helpful to us,

Expecting your reply.

Many Thanks.
 

caththisking

Hero Member
Nov 8, 2013
423
6
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
Guys any idea on how long they will give validity of the travel document ? Do i need to mention exact travel date with proof or tentative will do?
 

leadric

Newbie
Nov 10, 2016
1
0
scylla said:
No - not true at all. We have many people on this forum who have re-entered Canada on a visa exempt passport without obtaining a TD. Even those without visa exempt passports can re-enter Canada without a TD if they travel to the US first and enter Canada via a land border. A travel document is by no means required to keep PR.
Hi, I have an Indian passport with a valid US B1/B2 visa along with PR. However, similar to the other cases here, I moved out of Canada without attaining the PR Card. Is there a way to enter Canada via US without a Travel Document? Also anyone who know about processing time for TD from India?
 

azchill

Full Member
Jul 14, 2015
34
0
hello
i got my pr on October 25 through coutts border.The next day took a flight to India as my sister was getting married. I have already applied for prtd. On the 10th day got my passport with a letter saying that my passport is damaged and need a new one as to continue the processing.I have submitted my new passport with the damaged passport and the letter on 23 November. can any tell is this a problem?
 

antareson

Full Member
Dec 14, 2015
31
1
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2015
AOR Received.
10-02-2016
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-11-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-10-2016
Sharing our experience as I couldn’t find anything online for PRTD processing times for our VO (Warsaw). This was stressing us out since my wife needed to return to Poland for 18 days and we hadn’t received her PR card yet. Neither the VAC nor the VO could provide us with processing times when contacted.

Timeline:

- Landed Oct. 28
- Returned to Poland Nov. 29 with completed application to courier once abroad
- Application couriered to Warsaw VAC Dec. 1
- Received as per courier tracking Dec. 2
- Email received from VAC Dec. 6 that application is forwarded to Warsaw VO
- PRTD approval email received Dec. 9
- Passport couriered back Dec. 12

Time from VAC forward to VO to approval = 3 business days
Total time from passport leaving to passport returning = 8 business days

Hope this helps someone else curious about Warsaw VAC!
 

maria_bernadette

Full Member
May 5, 2014
32
0
antareson said:
Sharing our experience as I couldn’t find anything online for PRTD processing times for our VO (Warsaw). This was stressing us out since my wife needed to return to Poland for 18 days and we hadn’t received her PR card yet. Neither the VAC nor the VO could provide us with processing times when contacted.

Timeline:

- Landed Oct. 28
- Returned to Poland Nov. 29 with completed application to courier once abroad
- Application couriered to Warsaw VAC Dec. 1
- Received as per courier tracking Dec. 2
- Email received from VAC Dec. 6 that application is forwarded to Warsaw VO
- PRTD approval email received Dec. 9
- Passport couriered back Dec. 12

Time from VAC forward to VO to approval = 3 business days
Total time from passport leaving to passport returning = 8 business days

Hope this helps someone else curious about Warsaw VAC!
Hi! I see you just became PR as well. I need help with the requirements for PRTD. For the Residency Obligations, for new PR did you still have to give out 5 years worth of documents to prove the residency requirement? I'm a bit confused with this portion. Since I've only been granted PR last October. Your experience and output would very much be appreciated! :)
 

omsaiom

Hero Member
Aug 17, 2015
236
14
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
azchill said:
hello
i got my pr on October 25 through coutts border.The next day took a flight to India as my sister was getting married. I have already applied for prtd. On the 10th day got my passport with a letter saying that my passport is damaged and need a new one as to continue the processing.I have submitted my new passport with the damaged passport and the letter on 23 November. can any tell is this a problem?
Hello azchill,
I read that you applied for the PRTD. What documents were required to be submitted for the travel document.
I went to the site and they write there that you need to meet the obligations and two proofs of your status in Canada.
I only have COPR with me, is that OK. Are we required to write any application letter as well.
I also returned back to India after doing a short landing, I am also planning to apply for PRTD.
Your help is highly appreciated, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM
 

canadakg

Full Member
Jan 15, 2016
21
0
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-11-2015
omsaiom said:
Hello azchill,
I read that you applied for the PRTD. What documents were required to be submitted for the travel document.
I went to the site and they write there that you need to meet the obligations and two proofs of your status in Canada.
I only have COPR with me, is that OK. Are we required to write any application letter as well.
I also returned back to India after doing a short landing, I am also planning to apply for PRTD.
Your help is highly appreciated, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM
Hello OmSaiOm,

I am in the same situation as that of you. Have you applied for PRTD ? If yes, then please share what documents did you send them ? Similar to you, I only have CoPR.

Thank you in advance.
 

Mohibul Hasib

Full Member
Jul 16, 2015
37
0
leadric said:
Hi, I have an Indian passport with a valid US B1/B2 visa along with PR. However, similar to the other cases here, I moved out of Canada without attaining the PR Card. Is there a way to enter Canada via US without a Travel Document? Also anyone who know about processing time for TD from India?

Have you received feedback from anyone ?
 

Harry99

Full Member
Aug 3, 2016
25
0
caththisking said:
Guys any idea on how long they will give validity of the travel document ? Do i need to mention exact travel date with proof or tentative will do?
It's valid for 6 months from the stamping date
 

ikhan2016

Newbie
Nov 13, 2016
9
0
Hi.

i am a new PR and i need help with the Permanent Resident Travel Document application. What information should i fill in Point-15,16,17&18. I got my PR in June 2016 and traveled for a soft landing in Oct 2016. I left canada before my PR card could be processed and now i need to travel back to canada (permanently) via the PRTD route. As a new PR what information should i provide in the above points.

Thanks
 

alserri

Newbie
Sep 13, 2017
3
0
we travelled without my wife's pr card cause it's still in the mail, and I applied for travel document for premenat residance, and gave all the documents with the itenerary proving we flying back to canada within a week, and recieved the visa to go back in less than 3 days. The idea is to provide all the papers upfront.
 

MarcAnthony

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
141
21
we travelled without my wife's pr card cause it's still in the mail, and I applied for travel document for premenat residance, and gave all the documents with the itenerary proving we flying back to canada within a week, and recieved the visa to go back in less than 3 days. The idea is to provide all the papers upfront.
where did you apply for the travel document and how much did it cost?
 

lakwachero

Member
Aug 23, 2016
15
0
Hi there,

I have a similar situation. My husband (from Spain) got his PR this Mon Sept 25th, we're waiting for his card which should come end of November. That said, we had planned a weekend trip for my b-day in NYC which we had booked a months ago not knowing he'd get his PR interview. Just wondering if there's even a point in trying to get a PR Travel Doc from the Canadian visa office in NYC, since we're only there from Fri Oct 06-Tues Oct 12, I don't even know if that's enough time to process his application. OR Should he just fly to Buffalo and we can drive him back in via private vehicle w/ his COPR? I called IRCC and they said that's allowed. OR Should he just skip the trip all together? Does it affect his PR if he goes on this trip and is denied? Is there any chance to fly back w/o the PR Travel Doc and just his COPR?

Any help/insight would be great! Thanks so much.