+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident TRAVEL DOCUMENT PROCESSING TIMES

Sukh90

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah i will go on 28 january and come back on 5 march.
I applied for pr card yesterday at border
So need PRTD to re enter.
Is that safe ?? Will that effect my pr if they reject my PRTD ??
Do i need to apply separate applications for both of us or one as for PR it was one me as primary applicant and husband as dependant
Can you please clearify this as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you please clearify this as well.
You will both need to apply for prtd. No effect on your PR. You need the time to be able to be approved so hopefully you will be in India for more than 2 weeks. Apply as soon as possible after landing. If you have sent your PR card to a relative you may also be able to have them send your your PR cards. That would probably be easier if it is an option. All depends how long you will be gone.

Sukh90

Nov 9, 2017
You will both need to apply for prtd. No effect on your PR. You need the time to be able to be approved so hopefully you will be in India for more than 2 weeks. Apply as soon as possible after landing. If you have sent your PR card to a relative you may also be able to have them send your your PR cards. That would probably be easier if it is an option. All depends how long you will be gone.
I am staying in India till 4 March so i probably won't get my PR card by then. That's what bothers me .

Sukh90

Nov 9, 2017
no you don't have to be working.
To apply for a PRTD you need to:

• prove who you are;
  • confirm your permanent resident status, and
  • meet the residency obligation of a permanent resident.
this is what website said...
so for first I can submit my driving license and passport
and then COPR
for residency obligations, they say this (
Calculating days present in Canada
If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more
  • you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the five (5) years immediately before you apply for a PRTD.
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
  • you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.
  • since I come under less than 5 years so for that what should I submit ??

Sukh90

Nov 9, 2017
Also it said some IMM1000 form and COPR but i only got COPR from landing visa office
do i have to get this IMM form

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To apply for a PRTD you need to:

• prove who you are;
  • confirm your permanent resident status, and
  • meet the residency obligation of a permanent resident.
this is what website said...
so for first I can submit my driving license and passport
and then COPR
for residency obligations, they say this (
Calculating days present in Canada
If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more
  • you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the five (5) years immediately before you apply for a PRTD.
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
  • you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.
  • since I come under less than 5 years so for that what should I submit ??
You need to show that you have enough time to still live in Canada for 730 days in 5 years.

LetMtl

Jan 21, 2018
Hi,
I need to travel from Montreal to Panama in April but haven’t renewed my PR yet and may not get it on time. I asked the Visa office in Panama how long it takes to process a PR Travel Document and they said 14-20 days as they need to send my application and passport to the Embassy in Mexico. That’s far longer than my trip, so it wouldn’t work.
Entering by private vehicle from the US wouldn’t be straightforward for me to coordinate.
I thought maybe I could do a stop in Mexico before arriving in Panama and do the application directly there. Do you know if I can request that PRTD in Mexico even if my return flight to Canada would leave from Panama?
Thanks!