+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****October 2018**** INLAND SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Wouldn't he have to prove that he will be living in Canada for those 4-5 months while the OWP is being processed/issued? And by status do you just mean on a visitor visa?

Thank you for the reply. I'll also ask you the same question that I asked the person above. Does he have to prove he'll be living in Canada for 4-5 months while the OWP is processing? Because based solely on his visitor visa he wouldn't be able to stay long enough in Canada to get the working permit. Or would they allow it since he's in implied status after applying for an extension to his visitor.
They allow him to stay on implied status

Mar 10, 2019
They allow him to stay on implied status
Another question I have is whether or not my husband and I have to have be married for one year. I read somewhere that this was the case (we have been married for three months).

Also, we're sort of unsure about the extension of stay and implied status process. If you apply for an extension of stay by paper, does that guarantee you 116 days of implied status? Do you know if there's any difference when the applicant's visitor visa has been restricted to under 6 months by a border officer?

We're just concerned since it seems like such an easy abuse of the system.

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Another question I have is whether or not my husband and I have to have be married for one year. I read somewhere that this was the case (we have been married for three months).

Also, we're sort of unsure about the extension of stay and implied status process. If you apply for an extension of stay by paper, does that guarantee you 116 days of implied status? Do you know if there's any difference when the applicant's visitor visa has been restricted to under 6 months by a border officer?

We're just concerned since it seems like such an easy abuse of the system.
You don't have to be married for one year
And when you apply for visitor extension by paper it takes around 3-4 months to hear anything back
It all depends on the officer how long he/she is going to approve for extension

Reactions: alexconnorbrown
Mar 10, 2019
Hello, we have another few questions we were wondering about. You guys might be able to help.

First, do you have to show evidence of cohabitation for your inland spouse sponsorship application and your OWP? If so, what would constitute evidence in our case, since we live with my parents and are making no payments on the house or property?

Secondly, we are planning on moving to Quebec City in a month or so. I know that there's a different process for all of this when living in Quebec. If we apply while living in Ontario and show evidence of cohabitation in Ontario, and then move to Quebec while our application and work permit is being processed, will that cause any problems?

Thanks

Reactions: Geno.uss

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hello, we have another few questions we were wondering about. You guys might be able to help.

First, do you have to show evidence of cohabitation for your inland spouse sponsorship application and your OWP? If so, what would constitute evidence in our case, since we live with my parents and are making no payments on the house or property?

Secondly, we are planning on moving to Quebec City in a month or so. I know that there's a different process for all of this when living in Quebec. If we apply while living in Ontario and show evidence of cohabitation in Ontario, and then move to Quebec while our application and work permit is being processed, will that cause any problems?

Thanks
Yes you need to show proof of cohabitation, in your case your parents should write a letter and explain that you guys live with them and they help you
I'm not 100% sure about the moving but I think that CIC will treat it as Ontario because the file will be submitted when you guys are in Ontario
Good luck!

Last edited:

danielt

Star Member
Oct 30, 2018

Thanks
If you apply as an Ontario resident and then move to Quebec you will at the very least have a delay in your application.
Keep in mind you are obliged to inform CIC of any address changes, so hiding this is not an option.

The province of Quebec has complete control over who it approves as a sponsor, and that approval cannot be granted at the federal level (it is the only province with this special power)

Quebec applicants (I am one myself) have to apply to a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ, in French) during our PR processing. CIC requests that you apply for a CSQ as soon as it gives you AOR, and the letter from CIC is a requirement to apply for the CSQ.

If you apply as Ontario resident and then move, the officer will only learn that you need a CSQ when they are informed of your change of address.

Also, the requirements for being approved as a sponsor for Quebec are different from the rest of Canada. So any analysis on the sponsor side done before you move will be wasted.

You should either inform in the application that you will be moving to Quebec, or wait until after moving to apply.

EnglishMike81

Aug 2, 2018
Hello all,

Could be a stupid question....

Today I received a Work Permit notification as part of my wife's spousal sponsorship application for a Permanent Resident.

I have an expiry date of 2021.

It states in the remarks/observations that "temporary resident status maintained" and on the back if I want to extend beyond the date, I would need to apply.

Bit confused about expiry dates and temporary status stuff. Is this standard for Permanent Residency applications?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Hello all,

Could be a stupid question....

Today I received a Work Permit notification as part of my wife's spousal sponsorship application for a Permanent Resident.

I have an expiry date of 2021.

It states in the remarks/observations that "temporary resident status maintained" and on the back if I want to extend beyond the date, I would need to apply.

Bit confused about expiry dates and temporary status stuff. Is this standard for Permanent Residency applications?
Yes, this is standard. All OWPs granted are for 2 years (or less if the applicant's passport expires sooner).

Reactions: EnglishMike81

EnglishMike81

Aug 2, 2018
Yes, this is standard. All OWPs granted are for 2 years (or less if the applicant's passport expires sooner).
Fantastic! Thank you for the good news.

I only completed the medical 3 weeks ago and recieved a Work Permit already so I'm over the moon

Long shot here but regarding medical help, I have a prescription from the UK but obviously unable to get it here... Am I able to get any assistance with the Temporary Staus I now hold in Canada?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019

I only completed the medical 3 weeks ago and recieved a Work Permit already so I'm over the moon

Long shot here but regarding medical help, I have a prescription from the UK but obviously unable to get it here... Am I able to get any assistance with the Temporary Staus I now hold in Canada?
Most provinces do not provide health-care benefits to non-residents, temporary residents, returning Canadians or recently landed immigrants. Even returning citizens need to wait 3 months to be eligible again (and once you receive AIP you will need to wait 3 months as well before health coverage kicks in).

Now that you have an OWP granted, your workplace should provide you with private health insurance, but until then I believe you're only eligible for restricted emergency services.

Naishard

Jun 3, 2018
App. Filed.......
07-11-2018
AOR Received.
26-11-2018
Med's Request
16-01-2019
Med's Done....
16-01-2019

For Alberta you can get health benefit immediately after receiving OWP. For your prescription , You need to get co-signed by Canadian Doctor to get filled in Pharmacy.

Jessica_D

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
Winnipeg

In Manitoba, you’re eligible for health coverage as soon as you have confirmation of employment with the OWP. This doesn’t cover prescriptions, but would allow you to see a doctor free of charge to write one.

Ngongocminhduc

Dec 31, 2018
I still haven't received my OWP. I submited on Oct 25 in Edmonton. No e-mail, no link (try million times), no return. What should I do, my friends?

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
Made a few more updates on the abbreviations I posted a few days ago:

CIC/IRCC: Citizenship and Immigration Canada rebranded itself as Immigrations, Refugees and Citizenship Canada in late 2015 and early 2016.
PR: Permanent Resident or Residence
PA: Principal Applicant (a foreigner who is being sponsored to live in Canada)
Sponsor: A Canadian or Canadian PR who is sponsoring a foreigner to live in Canada
AOR: Acknowledgment of Receipt (very first contact/email from CIC/IRCC saying they have your app - most get it but some don't - if you get it, your application is considered all complete and it is not going to be returned to you for any missing information or signatures)
MR: Medical Request (comes at different times for each person, no effect on timeline)
BGC: Background check (criminality, misrepresentation, security and documents check - takes the longest in the process - usually 3 to 6 months)
SA: Sponsor Approval (comes early for Outland and towards the end for Inland)
AIP: Approved in Principle (first stage approval for Inland Applicants but pretty much guarantees your PR, happens towards the end)
DM: Decision Made (happens towards the end, could be either positive or negative but mostly you'd get a procedural fairness letter before DM to prove yourself if it was a negative DM, see: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/procedural-fairness.html for more details)
OWP: Open Work Permit
SOWP: Spousal Open Work Permit (has nothing to do with Spousal Sponsorship - it's for the spouses of international students who wants to work and live in Canada while their spouses are studying)
CSQ: Certificat de sélection du Québec (only for those who will reside in Québec)
eCAS: E-Client Application Status (I will proved more info later: https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/authenticate.do)
GCKey: Government Canada Key - government managed service that uses electronic credentials (usernames and passwords) so you can access federal government services online (i.e MyCIC, CRA and other online-services)
MyCIC: Online access to your CIC/IRCC account using your GCKey (was initially introduced to replace eCAS but now both run independently from each other)
PPR: Passport Request (for outland apps only)
MP: Member of Parliament (I will update this with more info later but basically s/he is legally allowed to access and/or request detailed information/review/actions on your file more than the applicants/sponsors can obtain themselves)
VO: Visa office
TRV: Temporary Resident Visa, also known as Visitor Visa (for visitors from visa-non-exempt countries)
eTA: Electronic Travel Authorization. It is not a Visa and does not give status. It's for those from Visa Exempt countries who are flying to Canada.
FLAG-POLING: The process of applicants living within Canada (but applied for outland sponsorship) going to the nearest land border to obtain CoPR by neither exiting Canada nor entering the USA.
POE: Point of Entry (customs office where you initially entered Canada - i.e airports and/or land border crossings)
CBSA: Canada Border Services Agency (an agency that facilitates and controls the flow of travellers and trades - incoming, outgoing and already entered and/or staying legally and illegally)
UCI: Unique Client Identifier (this number never changes. Stays with you from the first contact with CIC/IRCC for tourist, student, and/or work visa, PR and/or citizenship)
GSMS Note: Global Case Management System note (will provide more information later but this is basically a tool for CIC/IRCC agents and officers to leave a note/share/exchange information about your application. You can request this note under the Access to Information Act (ATI) for $5 through https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/requests-information-act.html - requesting this note is sometimes believed to expedite the process of your application)
PRE-ARRIVAL SERVICES LETTER: letter showing services available to help you settle in Canada. Has no bearing on your timeline.
LANDING INTERVIEW: The interview when you get your Permanent Residency (for inland applicants only)
RELATIONSHIP INTERVIEW: Different than landing interview, happens during BGC to clarify information gaps, possible misrepresentation, red flags etc. and also to make sure that no marriage fraud or marriage of convenience is taking place to get spousal PR
CoPR: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (the document you receive when you become a PR during Landing Interview, Flag-poling or at initial border crossing at POE)
IVR: Interactive Voice Response system (the selection you go through and responses you hear when you dial the CIC/IRCC 1-888 Call Centre number)