+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****October 2018**** INLAND SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP

KBsandhu

Jun 7, 2018
Application sent: September 27
Application linked: Oct 3
AOR: Oct 18
MR request: Nov 29
MR passed: Jan 25 (I was out of the country and requested for an extension of time to complete MR)
PA eligibility passed: Feb 27
SA Decision Made: Feb 27
AIP: Feb 28
Invitation for PR Final Interview: sent on March 1 (Interview date was March 26. I rescheduled to March 21 because my wife will be out of town on March 26).

Good luck to every one.
hie, congrats!!which office you going or landing interview?

Reactions: Naishard

Mark Robinson

Star Member
Oct 21, 2018
Guys, IRCC finally approved my OWP today. Am so super happy.
Submitted Application via Canada Post - 10 Oct. 2018 (PR + OWP + SCHEDULE A)
Application received by CIC Mississauga - 12 Oct. 2018
AOR Received 26 Nov, 2018
Application Processing started 26 Nov, 2018
PR & OWP Application Linked the 29 Nov, 2018
MR Requested on the 21 Dec, 2018
MR Done on the 27 Dec, 2018
MR Submitted 05 Jan, 2019
MR Passed 11 Jan, 2019
BGC Started 24 Jan, 2019
OWP Approved Mar 08, 2019
PR.....Waiting

Last edited:

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Guys, IRCC finally approved my OWP today. Am so super happy.
Submitted Application via Canada Post - 10 Oct. 2018 (PR + OWP + SCHEDULE A)
Application received by CIC Mississauga - 12 Oct. 2018
AOR Received 26 Nov, 2018
Application Processing started 26 Nov, 2018
PR & OWP Application Linked the 29 Nov, 2018
MR Requested on the 21 Dec, 2018
MR Done on the 27 Dec, 2018
MR Submitted 05 Jan, 2019
MR Passed 11 Jan, 2019
BGC Started 24 Jan, 2019
OWP Approved Mar 08, 2019
PR.....Waiting

Finally eh! Congratulations! So happy for you :)
I got mine too in 3 months and I applied for PR and OWP on implied status and many people said I won't receive it until after AIP and look we both got it before AIP which is perfect
Did you hear anything back about your visitor extension?

Last edited:

Mark Robinson

Star Member
Oct 21, 2018
Finally eh! Congratulations! So happy for you :)
I got mine too in 3 months and I applied for PR and OWP on implied status and many people said I won't receive it until after AIP and look we both got it before AIP which is perfect
Did you hear anything back about your visitor extension?
Hi Geno,

Yeah, you right we were both in the same boat then (implied status), finally both the visitors and owp were issued. I am so happy.

Reactions: Geno.uss

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hi Geno,

Yeah, you right we were both in the same boat then (implied status), finally both the visitors and owp were issued. I am so happy.
I got my OWP before even hearing anything back about my visitor visa extension
Congratulation again for you! Now starts the job hunting lol

Mar 10, 2019
I'm new to this site so I might be posting this in the wrong place, but I'll post anyways.

My husband (American) is currently in Canada on a visitor's visa that expires in two months. We are about to apply for inland sponsorship for him. Our main concern is not being separated and knowing that staying in Canada is a requirement for Inland sponsorship we are worried about his visitor visa expiring. I know you can apply for a visitor visa extension, but is that necessarily guaranteed? You need to both be in Canada for ~12 months while your application is processed, so I'm assuming this is a common process, but I don't necessarily trust that it's likely.

In short, how likely is it that a 2 month visitor visa will be extended by about a year so an Inland sponsorship can be pursued? Should it be considered a guarantee?

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
I'm new to this site so I might be posting this in the wrong place, but I'll post anyways.

My husband (American) is currently in Canada on a visitor's visa that expires in two months. We are about to apply for inland sponsorship for him. Our main concern is not being separated and knowing that staying in Canada is a requirement for Inland sponsorship we are worried about his visitor visa expiring. I know you can apply for a visitor visa extension, but is that necessarily guaranteed? You need to both be in Canada for ~12 months while your application is processed, so I'm assuming this is a common process, but I don't necessarily trust that it's likely.

In short, how likely is it that a 2 month visitor visa will be extended by about a year so an Inland sponsorship can be pursued? Should it be considered a guarantee?
Welcome to the form
With inland sponsorship you apply for OWP which grants him status after his visitor visa expires
To be eligible for OWP he should be in status and shouldn't lose status in Canada
So you guys should apply for spousal sponsorship plus OWP before his visitor visa expires or if you guys couldn't apply before that then he should apply for visitor extension and you can still apply for spousal sponsorship plus OWP while on implied status (waiting for visitor visa extension)

Mar 10, 2019
Welcome to the form
With inland sponsorship you apply for OWP which grants him status after his visitor visa expires
To be eligible for OWP he should be in status and shouldn't lose status in Canada
So you guys should apply for spousal sponsorship plus OWP before his visitor visa expires or if you guys couldn't apply before that then he should apply for visitor extension and you can still apply for spousal sponsorship plus OWP while on implied status (waiting for visitor visa extension)
Thank you, this site gives me relief in a very stressful process.

His visitor visa when accepted into Canada was only for 2 months, and I *think* you can only apply for an OWP if you've been living in Canada for 4-5 months or so. So we'd have to apply for an extension and then apply for the OWP before they've potentially rejected said extension? Only the Canada Immigration site it says that paper applications for visitor extensions can take 116 days, which is more than enough time. Is that 116 days a definite number? Or just an average. Is there a chance we'd have the visitor extension rejected in a week and then be ineligible to apply for the OWP since he can't stay for 4/5 months?

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018

His visitor visa when accepted into Canada was only for 2 months, and I *think* you can only apply for an OWP if you've been living in Canada for 4-5 months or so. So we'd have to apply for an extension and then apply for the OWP before they've potentially rejected said extension? Only the Canada Immigration site it says that paper applications for visitor extensions can take 116 days, which is more than enough time. Is that 116 days a definite number? Or just an average. Is there a chance we'd have the visitor extension rejected in a week and then be ineligible to apply for the OWP since he can't stay for 4/5 months?
No he doesn't have to be a visitor for 4-5 months, that's not true
They say it takes 4-5 months for the OWP to get issued but nothing about being a visitor for 4-5 months
He can apply right now while he's in status and he should because it's better to apply for OWP when in status

Last edited:

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018

To reply to your questions about visitor extension: yes it takes 116 days sometimes longer like my situation I applied for visitor extension in October and still haven't heard anything back but sometimes it takes less but ofcourse it won't be a week (CIC take their time)
Visitor visa extension isn't guaranteed that he'll be given 1 year: it all depends on the officer
However when you guys apply for OWP and it gets approved he'll get status for 2 years as a worker for any employer in Canada and he can start working while his application is in process

Mar 10, 2019
No he doesn't have to be a visitor for 4-5 months, that's not true
They say it takes 4-5 months for the OWP to get issued but nothing about being a visitor for 4-5 months
He can apply right now while he's in status and he should because it's better to apply for OWP when in status
Wouldn't he have to prove that he will be living in Canada for those 4-5 months while the OWP is being processed/issued? And by status do you just mean on a visitor visa?

To reply to your questions about visitor extension: yes it takes 116 days sometimes longer like my situation I applied for visitor extension in October and still haven't heard anything back but sometimes it takes less but ofcourse it won't be a week (CIC take their time)
Visitor visa extension isn't guaranteed that he'll be given 1 year: it all depends on the officer
However when you guys apply for OWP and it gets approved he'll get status for 2 years as a worker for any employer in Canada and he can start working while his application is in process
Thank you for the reply. I'll also ask you the same question that I asked the person above. Does he have to prove he'll be living in Canada for 4-5 months while the OWP is processing? Because based solely on his visitor visa he wouldn't be able to stay long enough in Canada to get the working permit. Or would they allow it since he's in implied status after applying for an extension to his visitor.

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Wouldn't he have to prove that he will be living in Canada for those 4-5 months while the OWP is being processed/issued? And by status do you just mean on a visitor visa?

Thank you for the reply. I'll also ask you the same question that I asked the person above. Does he have to prove he'll be living in Canada for 4-5 months while the OWP is processing? Because based solely on his visitor visa he wouldn't be able to stay long enough in Canada to get the working permit. Or would they allow it since he's in implied status after applying for an extension to his visitor.
When applying inland sponsorship he should stay in Canada for sure and he will need to show he's staying with you in the same address
By status it means any status (visitor, worker, student, implied)
When he applies for OWP he will be granted implied status after his visitor visa expires and he can apply for visitor extension too just to be on the safe side