+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Quick question :

On my 1 year old child...OCI book shows Visa status : Life Long like mine. Does this mean this will stay forever for her or is there any rule to re apply once her Canadian passport expires.

Please advise.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Quick question :

On my 1 year old child...OCI book shows Visa status : Life Long like mine. Does this mean this will stay forever for her or is there any rule to re apply once her Canadian passport expires.

Please advise.
read post #933 in this thread. i asked the same question. after that, i have done research to confirm that the OCI book is lifetime.

=============
I emailed CGI Toronto - they said its mandatory to re-issue OCI booklet.
Then I emailed CGI Vancouver - they said I can travel on expired passport and OCI booklet for now. But re-issue after my trip.

On immi help forum, there is a thread where people have discussed this issue. There are multiple cases (including travel agents who go through multiple clients themselves), they have confirmed that it is not MANDATORY to re-issue OCI.

So CGI is giving misleading information. Ground reality is that multiple people have traveled successfully on OCI booklet and new passport. Also, conceptually once a lifetime visa is issued, there should not be any necessity to re-issue it.

I am travelling this October and my sone has new passport. OCI booklet was issued on his old passport. I am NOT re-issuing OCI booklet.

You can take your own decision. But based on my research, it is not necessary.

Reactions: qorax

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a slightly different question. I surrendered my passport last week and also applied for an OCI. This week something came up and I have to visit India within the next 2-3 weeks. I am positive I will not have the surrender certificate within this time frame. My question is - can I visit India using my Canadian passport, and a temporary Indian eVisa (if I can successfully get it)? I got my Canadian citizenship on May/28th. I will just fall outside of the three month grace period by the time I make this trip. Please let me know your thoughts.
I think you can take e-Tourist Visa (eTV) to travel to India.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
I went through several pages here, but I'm confused as to what original documents does bls take for both surrender and oci and how long does it take to get them back.

Can someone who applied from Brampton help me with below question?

For Indian passport surrender, does bls keep Original Canadian passport and Original Certificate of citizenship? If yes, how long does it take to get them back?

Same question for OCI.

Appreciate your answer.

torrcan

Nov 10, 2014
I went through several pages here, but I'm confused as to what original documents does bls take for both surrender and oci and how long does it take to get them back.

For Indian passport surrender, does bls keep Original Canadian passport and Original Certificate of citizenship? If yes, how long does it take to get them back?

Same question for OCI.

Appreciate your answer.
No they don't take original Canadian passport and oath certificate for indian passport surrender or OCI application. Just self attested copies and original Indian passport.

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017

Same question for OCI.

Appreciate your answer.
For Brampton BLS,

For surrender, they take original Indian passport. They will cancel it and return it along with surrender certificate in about 7 to 15 days.

For OCI, they take original landing paper or COPR, they will return it in 7 to 15 days along with acknowledgment receipt. But I have seen some posts recently here in which they say that BLS take original citizenship certificate also. But for me, they took only original COPR. I asked them if they need original citizenship certificate, they said they don't need that.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For those who applied for passport in gta, what was your processing time from submission to getting the passport?
You will get it within 3-4 business days. For my father, they dispatched the passport on June 08 and we got on June 11 (there was a weekend in-between). We applied on 6th evening just 30 minutes before passport office closure.

threestar

Oct 11, 2017
I applied oci on 8th and I my online status shows application processing at consulate general on bls website..

I am yet to receive my cancelled Indian passport .... can someone please let me know what will be next steps and by when I can receive my oci

deva123

Aug 12, 2018
It will take 6 weeks atleast.. here is my timeline...

Date Of Application Mar 20, 2018
Date Of Acknowledgment Mar 27, 2018
Original documents received Mar 29, 2018
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On Apr 18, 2018
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On Apr 19, 2018
Document received At TORONTO On Apr 25, 2018
Yet to receive , status on BLS shows as "Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping".
What exact date did you receive in hand?

deolvicky

Aug 8, 2017
I applied oci on 8th and I my online status shows application processing at consulate general on bls website..

I am yet to receive my cancelled Indian passport .... can someone please let me know what will be next steps and by when I can receive my oci
I applied for OCI for me/my family on same date as you 8th Aug. My status same as you: Processing at CGI.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
When traveling to India with OCI, do I need to carry my canceled Indian passport as well? Or just OCI and Canadian passport is enough?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When traveling to India with OCI, do I need to carry my canceled Indian passport as well? Or just OCI and Canadian passport is enough?
OCI and Canadian passport for India. Rest of world Canadian Passport only. I'd keep Cancelled Indian Passport in Safety deposit box in Canada, so as to avoid risk of getting it stolen.

Last edited: