+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Thank you
Further logic: if you become citizen of any country, it is not legally mandatory to get passport. You can live in Canada without Canadian passport, therefore for surrendering Indian passport, your Canada passport should not be mandatory.

threestar

Oct 11, 2017
Further logic: if you become citizen of any country, it is not legally mandatory to get passport. You can live in Canada without Canadian passport, therefore for surrendering Indian passport, your Canada passport should not be mandatory.
Thank you brother

BellRanger

Jun 26, 2014
Hello to all. I have a question regarding the OCI. I have applied my Canadian Citizenship and I am just waiting for my Oath Ceremony which can happen in next few weeks.

My question is , my wife and son are both Canadian born. My wife’s dad is still holding his Indian Citizenship. After becoming Canadian Citizen I want to apply an OCI rite after. Can I also apply an OCI for my wife and my son ?

Your reply would be highly appreciated. Looking for your response.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hello to all. I have a question regarding the OCI. I have applied my Canadian Citizenship and I am just waiting for my Oath Ceremony which can happen in next few weeks.

My question is , my wife and son are both Canadian born. My wife’s dad is still holding his Indian Citizenship. After becoming Canadian Citizen I want to apply an OCI rite after. Can I also apply an OCI for my wife and my son ?

Your reply would be highly appreciated. Looking for your response.
Yes, I dont see why not? Both their fathers were Indian citizens, so both, wife and son, are eligible for OCI.

Reactions: BellRanger

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
This is what i found today

Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 02-AUG-2018
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 03-AUG-2018
Document received At VANCOUVER On 10-AUG-2018

I guess next step should be dispatch. Does dispatching status get update on BLS tracking website or on passport website ?

deva123

Aug 12, 2018
How long does it take to receive OCI in hand after it reaches Vancouver? Appreciate if anyone can provide their experience, my expected arrival dates are very close to my travel dates... hence worried.

Toro_123

Feb 20, 2018
Dear All,

I got my Canadian passport recently. They have issued my name as below :

Given Name: XXX; Surname: <Given Name as per Indian passport>

Instead of leaving the Given Name as blank they have put "XXX"

I need to apply for OCI card and i was told that i need to update the fields as per Canadian passport.

So will my OCI card have my Given Name as XXX ? Is it better to do a legal name change before applying for OCI ? Is it worth the wait ? I don't want my OCI to reflect XXX... Kindly advise.

Appreciate all the help !!!

xyz_123

Jun 26, 2018
Horrible experience at BLS Toronto.

Rejoicing on getting my Canadian citizenship and getting the Canadian passport in less than 5 days, I started the application process for renunciation of Indian citizenship and obtaining Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI).

It turned out to be a bureaucratic nightmare. According to the OCI checklist, all my documents were in order. However, all the 4 times I went to submit my OCI application, their incompetent staff brought up new issues which were not mentioned anywhere on their website/OCI checklist or even by their own employees when I visited them before.

It turned out to be a horrible experience at BLS Toronto and you should anticipate delays despite having all the paperwork. Expect to go there atleast 4-5 times. Their processes are chaotic and you are at the whim of their incompetent employees.

BLS Toronto is a total mess. All I wish now is to never having to visit this office again.

Also my friend mentioned in his own review "Every applicant has to run around multiple times to the office to finally get their OCI if they are lucky. In this process there is tremendous wastage of resources including time, money and effort. During the first try the applicant stands long hours in the queue,finally the BLS staff will go superficially over the first few pages of your application and tell you , the application is missing blah, blah, blah. You rectify that , come back again and stand in the queue. When your turn comes , this time the staff goes through some more pages and tell you the application is missing blah,blah blah. You go back home and come back again another day.This cycle is endless and if you are lucky ,your application might finally see the light of the day. Someone should tell the BLS staff, that once they see an application they should go through it thoroughly and write it in a piece of paper the missing areas instead of mouthing blah ,blah ,blah so that atleast the next time the process is successful."

Reactions: qorax and Toro_123

threestar

Oct 11, 2017
I submitted my OCI Application on aug 8th.... how long does it take so I can chesck my status online .... currently I get a message no records found when I check online

threestar

Oct 11, 2017
You can apply for renunciation and OCI together at least at TORONTO BLS.
It’s a new rule in place .... we can do both on same day at bls Brampton too. Once you surrender passport we get a receipt ... on same day we can use that receipt and file oci too .... some staff in bls don’t say this because they are ignorant ... but some staff do know this and they accept

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Got OCI booklet today. So i can say one should expect to have OCI process finished with in 30 to 40 days max.

Applied on 12 July 2018 and got booklet today 15 Aug 2018. Hope this will help others to have idea on timeline.

This is what i found today

Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 02-AUG-2018
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 03-AUG-2018
Document received At VANCOUVER On 10-AUG-2018

I guess next step should be dispatch. Does dispatching status get update on BLS tracking website or on passport website ?

Reactions: rajmalhotra7

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a slightly different question. I surrendered my passport last week and also applied for an OCI. This week something came up and I have to visit India within the next 2-3 weeks. I am positive I will not have the surrender certificate within this time frame. My question is - can I visit India using my Canadian passport, and a temporary Indian eVisa (if I can successfully get it)? I got my Canadian citizenship on May/28th. I will just fall outside of the three month grace period by the time I make this trip. Please let me know your thoughts.