+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Maha1981

Jan 25, 2011
Thanks...to clarify, does this mean that you were without your Canadian passport for 6 weeks? And that they mailed it back to you only on Apr 25?
You don't have to submit your Canadian passport, the original documents that i had submitted were returned to me within a week.

Also, on 26th April it self BLS has dispatched the OCI booklet but it was never updated in their status page, I had to call them couple of time before they confirmed it has been dispatched and provided me the Tracking number.

Reactions: trudeau

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Can someone tell how to track Surrender Certificate status.. I don't see an option on bls-canada website ?

Also, for OCI Card is like a plastic Card ? or Some sort of sticker ?
They told me for surrender certificate..it takes 2-3 weeks and for OCI Card its 2-3months. However they said I can track both on their website but I am unable to see for surrender certificate. Please advice.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hi,
I have question regarding OCI re-issuance for minor. It was my understanding that OCI needs to re-issued for minors under 20, everytime they get a new passport. But I saw two authentic links where they mentioned that it is no longer the case -
https://boi.gov.in/content/visa-requirement
http://www.ociregistration.com/renew_oci.htm

Also, another forum has a thread where multiple people have confirmed that they have traveled with minors where OCI sticker was on expired passport -
https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php/202299-Minor-travelling-on-New-Old-Passport-without-OCI-Reissue

Can anyone on this forum share any firsthand experience? I have read that BLS information is not authentic. We are planning to travel with our son in October and he is about to receive his new passport.

saini84

Jun 26, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
2172 - Business Analyst
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
June 06, 2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Nov 2012 (From GCMS notes)
Med's Request
Aug 30, 2013
Med's Done....
Sept 03, 2013 (ECAS 2nd line for Medicals Received Sept 30, 2013)
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 01, 2013
LANDED..........
In Canada since Jan 2010 on Study/Work Permit
Since, there are many people with different experiences with OCI, I wanted to post a few questions.
My Current situation: My wife and I are wairing for Canadian Citizenship ceremony as we have passed the test a week ago. I believe that in a month or two, we will get our citizenship and eventually, Canadian Passports. Our daughter was born here last year, so she is Canadian by birth.

I have to go to India this December. Since, the process of OCI takes from 3m-5m, I will not apply for it this year. I am planning to travel on Visa this year. My Questions:
1. If I travel by visa for first time, would that impact the OCI process if I come back and apply for it?
2. Do I need to surrender my passport immediately after receiving Canadian Citizenship? I believe, it should be yes as it would be illegal to carry 2 passports at a time.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Since, there are many people with different experiences with OCI, I wanted to post a few questions.
My Current situation: My wife and I are wairing for Canadian Citizenship ceremony as we have passed the test a week ago. I believe that in a month or two, we will get our citizenship and eventually, Canadian Passports. Our daughter was born here last year, so she is Canadian by birth.

I have to go to India this December. Since, the process of OCI takes from 3m-5m, I will not apply for it this year. I am planning to travel on Visa this year. My Questions:
1. If I travel by visa for first time, would that impact the OCI process if I come back and apply for it?
2. Do I need to surrender my passport immediately after receiving Canadian Citizenship? I believe, it should be yes as it would be illegal to carry 2 passports at a time.
If you scroll back a page or 2, I have summarized three different options and timelines. But to answer your questions -
1) Dont think so. Even if it does affect (timeline-wise), you dont have a choice as getting OCI now is taking a risk if you have to travel. Even if it takes more time for OCI after your trip, it should be ok as you wont be under pressure. When it comes to anything with Indian consulate, dont rely on them is my rule of thumb.
2) Passport surrender requirement - eVisa-No, 6-month visa/OCI - Yes.

Note: eVisa has 60-day max stay. if your trip is less than 60 days, go for eVisa no-brainer.

rustic

Jun 16, 2017
If you scroll back a page or 2, I have summarized three different options and timelines. But to answer your questions -
1) Dont think so. Even if it does affect (timeline-wise), you dont have a choice as getting OCI now is taking a risk if you have to travel. Even if it takes more time for OCI after your trip, it should be ok as you wont be under pressure. When it comes to anything with Indian consulate, dont rely on them is my rule of thumb.
2) Passport surrender requirement - eVisa-No, 6-month visa/OCI - Yes.

Note: eVisa has 60-day max stay. if your trip is less than 60 days, go for eVisa no-brainer.
FYI: You don't need to declare the passport even for the 6-month visa. It is my personal experience.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
FYI: You don't need to declare the passport even for the 6-month visa. It is my personal experience.
Based on responses on this forum, I learnt that you need to surrender Indian passport in order to receive the 6-month visa. Is that not true?

rustic

Jun 16, 2017
Based on responses on this forum, I learnt that you need to surrender Indian passport in order to receive the 6-month visa. Is that not true?
No, I got my 6 month visa in November, I declared my passport in March.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011

If I were you, I would surrender Indian passport and apply for the OCI right after receiving the Canadian passport.

Almost definitely you will have your OCI well before December, provided you get the Candian passport even by September 2018!
We were to travel to India this July, applied for OCI Feb 2018, and got the OCI by mid March 2018.

Yes, you get 3 months to surrender, but yes, one shouldn't travel to India on visa having not surrendered the Indian passport. It is lot less of a hassle if you go with just a visa, but lot cheaper in the long run with the OCI (yes, need to jump through hoops, though...)!

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
We applied for citizenship in Oct 2017. It's still in process. No test invite yet. We are expecting our first child this fall. Spouse wants to travel to India in Jan 2019 and I want to travel in March 2019. We both will come back in April.

Based on current timelines for Brampton applicants, I dont forsee getting Oath before Oct-Nov. Is there any option to get oci faster?

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hi,
I have question regarding OCI re-issuance for minor. It was my understanding that OCI needs to re-issued for minors under 20, everytime they get a new passport. But I saw two authentic links where they mentioned that it is no longer the case -
https://boi.gov.in/content/visa-requirement
http://www.ociregistration.com/renew_oci.htm

Also, another forum has a thread where multiple people have confirmed that they have traveled with minors where OCI sticker was on expired passport -
https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php/202299-Minor-travelling-on-New-Old-Passport-without-OCI-Reissue

Can anyone on this forum share any firsthand experience? I have read that BLS information is not authentic. We are planning to travel with our son in October and he is about to receive his new passport.
Bump, any experience...

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
Almost definitely you will have your OCI well before December, provided you get the Candian passport even by September 2018!
We were to travel to India this July, applied for OCI Feb 2018, and got the OCI by mid March 2018.
Were you without your Canadian passport from Feb to mid-March (over 6 weeks!) in that case?

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Hello

Today i submitted my OCI and passport surrender at BLS-Edmonton. They told me that it will take 3 months for OCI.

Does anyone share what is actual time to get OCI book let for edmonton region ?

When application status start showing on this link ?

https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury

Last edited:

moabbasi

Sep 12, 2009
Pickering
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AEO-0213
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-03-2011; Apps Payment.: 21-03-2011 (CC);PER Received..: 12-04-2011;In Process......: 19-09-2011
Doc's Request.
12-12-2011
AOR Received.
06-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent Originals
File Transfer...
06-05-201;PCC Request..: Sent Originals
Med's Request
12-12-2011
Med's Done....
02-01-2012
Interview........
Waived..;Doc's Sent......: 03-02-2012;Decision Made.: 05-07-2012
Passport Req..
12-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2012
LANDED..........
08-12-2012
Hello

Today i submitted my OCI and passport surrender at BLS-Edmonton. They told me that it will take 3 months for OCI.

Does anyone share what is actual time to get OCI book let for edmonton region ?

When application status start showing on this link ?

https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury
Check this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci.564994/page-2#post-7062396

Normally you should see the update within 7 days...