Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Hello,
From what i read on the internet the Indian government does not require a U Visa sticker on the foreign passport of OCI card holders.However on the BLS website it is mentioned that
"After Three dates, Applicant has to submit below mention documents at the Centre"
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/forms/BLS_oci_status_sample.pdf

Does anybody know what this step is for ?

Can someone elaborate the steps for applying OCI card, things to bear in mind, do they take the new canadian passport?

kbanatwala

Jan 17, 2014
So to be clear, they took your Indian passport? And the canceled Indian passport will be couriered back to you along with the surrender certificate?

And do you know if it was possible to apply for OCI at the same time AFTER you renounced Indian citizenship? Or did they say that you need to wait to get the surrender certificate first?
You can apply for both together.

gopr

Mar 25, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-10-2014
Passport Req..
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
23-12-2014
I got my Surrender Certificate and cancelled indian passport (after submitting app in BLS Vancouver), I was travelling that same day to india on e-visa so BLS had made a note in my app, probably why they gave it to my faster. Here are the steps I did during this process:

1. Got my canadian passport from Passport Canada on Apr 11(i opted to pick up)
2. Applied e-visa for india on same day - as my planned travel was only 10 days away - Day 1.
3. Submitted passport/citizenship surrender form(followed exact BLS checklist and took exactly what was asked) - Day 2. I could have done this on Day 1 but i had to rush to work right after passport pick up and couldn't guess the wait time there.
4. Got my evisa - Granted status on the online tracking site with the bar coded evisa page for print - Day 3. No email from them if it is granted however.
5. Got the evisa Granted email exactly 3 days after my app submission online -- i.e. Day 5
6. Got call from BLS india on Day 7 from my app date for surrender certificate pick up. They told me to come on Day 8 to pick it up between 3-5pm and i did that.
7. Travelled to india on evisa.

Few things to note:
1. For evisa, I used the passport canada photo and edited to dimensions as they asked. Scanned passport should be very clear - so use a good scanner.
2. BLS folks mentioned i could have submitted and got regular India visa in a weeks time instead of e-visa - not sure if that is possible as official site says 7-10 days.
3. I got to bls vancouver exactly 5mins before 8 am and i was out in 15 mins.
4. I did not opt for OCI at this point - I am still thinking about it.
5. Followed the checklist and took the originals with me just incase they want to see it.

Last edited:

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
Ok, well I went to the BLS in Ottawa. He said that I need the Surrender Certificate first (which will be mailed in 7 days), and only then can I apply for OCI with the Surrender Certificate.

Tgum23

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Ok, well I went to the BLS in Ottawa. He said that I need the Surrender Certificate first (which will be mailed in 7 days), and only then can I apply for OCI with the Surrender Certificate.
Hmm interesting Probably varies by jurisdiction Because Toronto they are allowing it to be done simultaneously. They use the payment slip from the passport renunciation as proof of surrender in the oci application

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Confusion..

Before applying for OCI, we should obtain Surrender Certificate ?

Also, they need original as well as photocopies of document ?
It's huge document checklist..
Date of Birth Certificate ? and CORP (original) needs to be submitted as well?

Please clarify seniors.

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
Can anyone who recently got OCI please share how long it took to get your card? I'm planning a trip next month to India, and think maybe it will be too soon, so maybe I need to apply for e-Visa like @gopr. Unless it's possible to get OCI within 4 weeks...if anyone can share their experience, will be helpful.

Maha1981

Jan 25, 2011
Can anyone who recently got OCI please share how long it took to get your card? I'm planning a trip next month to India, and think maybe it will be too soon, so maybe I need to apply for e-Visa like @gopr. Unless it's possible to get OCI within 4 weeks...if anyone can share their experience, will be helpful.
It will take 6 weeks atleast.. here is my timeline...

Date Of Application Mar 20, 2018
Date Of Acknowledgment Mar 27, 2018
Original documents received Mar 29, 2018
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On Apr 18, 2018
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On Apr 19, 2018
Document received At TORONTO On Apr 25, 2018
Yet to receive , status on BLS shows as "Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping".

Reactions: trudeau

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
It will take 6 weeks atleast.. here is my timeline...
Original documents received Mar 29, 2018
Thanks...to clarify, does this mean that you were without your Canadian passport for 6 weeks? And that they mailed it back to you only on Apr 25?