+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
I am curious,

What is the max validity for eVisa (i.e. max allowed time you can stay there). What if we get eVisa then visit there and surrender passport as well as apply OCI at FRRO (I have heard both are possible there) in India? Is it technically possible for someone who wants to stay little longer?
eVisa validity is 120 days. but once you land you can only stay for 60 days. what you are saying is possible on paper, but highly risky to get both done in 60 days. you'll need to apply first thing when you reach. also, you will have to wait almost till the end of your trip to get the OCI in hand. what if you dont get by the end of 60 days?

if your eVisa ends and you receive you OCI after few days, then you are staying illegally for those few days. As there is emmigration check done while leaving India, the officer might come to know that you were staying illegally. I dont know what exactly the risk would be. Maybe others can throw some light.

Awebus

Star Member
Dec 15, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eVisa validity is 120 days. but once you land you can only stay for 60 days. what you are saying is possible on paper, but highly risky to get both done in 60 days. you'll need to apply first thing when you reach. also, you will have to wait almost till the end of your trip to get the OCI in hand. what if you dont get by the end of 60 days?

if your eVisa ends and you receive you OCI after few days, then you are staying illegally for those few days. As there is emmigration check done while leaving India, the officer might come to know that you were staying illegally. I dont know what exactly the risk would be. Maybe others can throw some light.
Thanks. I had the same impression.

How long you're allowed to stay on Entry visa? Entry visa is not possible without Surrender certificate correct? Their website says, they now issue long term entry visa (5-10 years) from last december. Is this correct?

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Thanks. I had the same impression.

How long you're allowed to stay on Entry visa? Entry visa is not possible without Surrender certificate correct? Their website says, they now issue long term entry visa (5-10 years) from last december. Is this correct?
Sorry, I hadnt read about Entry Visa section. I just now read it below.
http://www.blsindia-canada.com/entryvisa.php

On fees page, it say only upto 5 years, but on information page it says 5-10 yrs. For someone who is planning to regularly visit India for the next 10 yrs or more, entry visa does not make sense.

Because entry visa takes 7 working days and costs $300 anyways. If cost is of essence, then go for OCI. If time is of essence, then go for tourist visa now (same timeline and half the cost), and once you are back, go for OCI.

Entry visa would make sense if someone is planning 2-3 trips in the next 5 years, and then not planning to visit regularly. Thoughts?

bjsk

Jan 9, 2018
my status says :
Original documents Dispatched via courier
(Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping)

what does that mean?

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Hello everyone, does anyone over here have family,friends,relatives that have OCI and are now living and working in India? I am an OCI cardholder and my parents are getting old and i am thinking of going back to India for sometime. I want to know basically 2 things, #1 can we live in India indefinitely? #2 can we work in India in a private limited co. / MNC without a work visa? Would appreciate if someone can give some real life examples. When we read on google, OCI does allow you to do both these things, however i would like to know if ground reality is something different. Thank you.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hello everyone, does anyone over here have family,friends,relatives that have OCI and are now living and working in India? I am an OCI cardholder and my parents are getting old and i am thinking of going back to India for sometime. I want to know basically 2 things, #1 can we live in India indefinitely? #2 can we work in India in a private limited co. / MNC without a work visa? Would appreciate if someone can give some real life examples. When we read on google, OCI does allow you to do both these things, however i would like to know if ground reality is something different. Thank you.
Its good to seek first-hand experiences on a forum, as there maybe some nuances to the rules. But firstly, I didnt see anywhere where it said, you are not allowed to work.

Our source of information should be authentic CGI website, and not consultant info on Google searches as I dont know how authentic those may be.

http://indianconsulate.com/page/display/14/11

This link states that one is not allowed to hold employment in the Government. It does not say anything about private employment. But it seems to suggest that there is not restriction, because what is restricted is clearly stated.

Regarding indefinite stay, even I did not see anything on that front. You may need renewals. Even Canadian PR needs renewals every 5 years.

Reactions: Weltmeister

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Its good to seek first-hand experiences on a forum, as there maybe some nuances to the rules. But firstly, I didnt see anywhere where it said, you are not allowed to work.

Our source of information should be authentic CGI website, and not consultant info on Google searches as I dont know how authentic those may be.

http://indianconsulate.com/page/display/14/11

This link states that one is not allowed to hold employment in the Government. It does not say anything about private employment. But it seems to suggest that there is not restriction, because what is restricted is clearly stated.

Regarding indefinite stay, even I did not see anything on that front. You may need renewals. Even Canadian PR needs renewals every 5 years.
Hello Amit, thank you for your feedback, greatly appreciated.

nnnn

Nov 3, 2017
Hi,

I am new Canadian Citizen now. Can any one advice, Which form I need to submit.

1) Duly Filled & signed Surrender / Renunciation application form.
2) Duly Filled & signed Deemed Surrender application form

Or both ?

Any one has recent experience with process time in Ottawa Jurisdiction.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hi,

I am new Canadian Citizen now. Can any one advice, Which form I need to submit.

1) Duly Filled & signed Surrender / Renunciation application form.
2) Duly Filled & signed Deemed Surrender application form

Or both ?

Any one has recent experience with process time in Ottawa Jurisdiction.
Refer to BLS website, they are the official agents for CGI and have the information on their website.

prash16

Jun 19, 2017
So I have a quick question if someone can give his inputs. I submitted my OCI application a month back in Vancouver. This is the status I had for almost a month now. I am not sure what is the complete process. If the processing at Consulate general is the first step.

`Processing at Consulate General`

Tgum23

Star Member
May 10, 2017
My parents moved to India last year. Dad is working at an mnc as oci. No issues You just have to show your oci booklet to your employer... However there are tax implications of being an oci. You will not be treated as an Indian resident and also will have some level of multiple taxation between Canada and India . Hope that helps

gopr

Mar 25, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-10-2014
Passport Req..
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
23-12-2014
Hi there,

I am new Canadian Citizen now. I will be getting my Canadian passport on Wednesday, April 11.

For Passport surrender & renunciation of Indian citizenship, I understand I would need my Canadian passport, so I can only apply to BLS Vancouver on April 11(Wednesday).

I have a pre-planned travel to India on April 20th.

I am wondering do they take my Indian Passport back on the day I apply for surrendering Indian passport? I am planning to apply for e-visa to go to India on 20th April - will this surrender process lead to complications in acquiring an e-visa?

Given that the tourist visa processing time in BLS-India Vancouver is 5-7 working days, I don't want to risk submitting my canadian passport there.

Please suggest me if I can take the e-visa route and apply for surrendering indian passport at the same time.

Thank you!

css2011

Star Member
Oct 24, 2017
My parents moved to India last year. Dad is working at an mnc as oci. No issues You just have to show your oci booklet to your employer... However there are tax implications of being an oci. You will not be treated as an Indian resident and also will have some level of multiple taxation between Canada and India . Hope that helps
For Canada still one has to pay tax working from another country ?

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hi there,

I am new Canadian Citizen now. I will be getting my Canadian passport on Wednesday, April 11.

For Passport surrender & renunciation of Indian citizenship, I understand I would need my Canadian passport, so I can only apply to BLS Vancouver on April 11(Wednesday).

I have a pre-planned travel to India on April 20th.

I am wondering do they take my Indian Passport back on the day I apply for surrendering Indian passport? I am planning to apply for e-visa to go to India on 20th April - will this surrender process lead to complications in acquiring an e-visa?

Given that the tourist visa processing time in BLS-India Vancouver is 5-7 working days, I don't want to risk submitting my canadian passport there.

Please suggest me if I can take the e-visa route and apply for surrendering indian passport at the same time.

Thank you!
Read last 2-3 pages of this thread, it seems you dont need to surrender Indian passport for eVisa. Based on my knowledge, your best course of action at this point is to get Canada passport, then apply eVisa. Keep Indian passport in a locker or carry with you (dont show). Once you come back, do all the surrender and OCI work. Remember that since you are going on eVisa, your trip cannot be more than 60 days end-to-end.

Other experts can suggest better plans.

gopr

Mar 25, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-10-2014
Passport Req..
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
23-12-2014
Read last 2-3 pages of this thread, it seems you dont need to surrender Indian passport for eVisa. Based on my knowledge, your best course of action at this point is to get Canada passport, then apply eVisa. Keep Indian passport in a locker or carry with you (dont show). Once you come back, do all the surrender and OCI work. Remember that since you are going on eVisa, your trip cannot be more than 60 days end-to-end.

Other experts can suggest better plans.
Thanks @amitdi for the info. I was wondering about this option of taking the Indian passport with me but not use/show it. I am going only for 2 weeks and in any case I have to be back to work after that.