+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Surprised to see that i got my passport surrender letter and cancelled indian passport in just 4 days ....Boz BLS lady told me it will take 1 month and OCI might take 3 months. Does anyone experience this ? How much time OCI will take ?

moabbasi

Sep 12, 2009
Pickering
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AEO-0213
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-03-2011; Apps Payment.: 21-03-2011 (CC);PER Received..: 12-04-2011;In Process......: 19-09-2011
Doc's Request.
12-12-2011
AOR Received.
06-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent Originals
File Transfer...
06-05-201;PCC Request..: Sent Originals
Med's Request
12-12-2011
Med's Done....
02-01-2012
Interview........
Waived..;Doc's Sent......: 03-02-2012;Decision Made.: 05-07-2012
Passport Req..
12-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2012
LANDED..........
08-12-2012
Surprised to see that i got my passport surrender letter and cancelled indian passport in just 4 days ....Boz BLS lady told me it will take 1 month and OCI might take 3 months. Does anyone experience this ? How much time OCI will take ?
Less than 40 days for me...

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
Is it possible to apply for both OCI an e-visa at the same time? Since we do not have to surrender the Canadian passport, I don’t see any reason why we cannot start the OCI processing, then apply for e-visa to travel to India and return to get the OCI booklet. Am I missing something?

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
My online status shows " Document printing : Under process " What does it mean ? Does anyone help me on getting different online status messages shows online ?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My online status shows " Document printing : Under process " What does it mean ? Does anyone help me on getting different online status messages shows online ?
OCI cards get printed in India. It means your OCI application is in process in India. Once it is completed in India, the OCI card will be sent to Canadian consulate and then eventually to BLS centre where you applied.

The below post by @moabbasi may help you in understanding the processing dates:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci.564994/page-2#post-7062396

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Thanks Raj.

I did check this post. One confusion .

Just need clarification on When landing paper will be sent back.

As per OCI Lady, Landing paper will be provided back with OCI booklet.

But here your mentioned June 11,2018 you got OCI acknow.

Does this mean I should expect OCI Acknowledgment from consulate ? or it will be with OCI booklet ?

I already got my surrender certificate with Indian PP

OCI cards get printed in India. It means your OCI application is in process in India. Once it is completed in India, the OCI card will be sent to Canadian consulate and then eventually to BLS centre where you applied.

The below post by @moabbasi may help you in understanding the processing dates:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci.564994/page-2#post-7062396

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Raj.

I did check this post. One confusion .

Just need clarification on When landing paper will be sent back.

As per OCI Lady, Landing paper will be provided back with OCI booklet.

But here your mentioned June 11,2018 you got OCI acknow.

Does this mean I should expect OCI Acknowledgment from consulate ? or it will be with OCI booklet ?

I already got my surrender certificate with Indian PP
Did you apply for Surrender certificate and OCI together?

I applied for my father's surrender certificate and OCI separately. After receiving surrender certificate, I applied for OCI. For OCI, they took original Indian passport and Landing paper. Both of these were returned within a week with acknowledge # for tracking and file was sent to India for OCI printing.

There are 2 trackings for OCI:

1. https://www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php
Use the receipt #, with "OCIT" you got while applying for OCI. You can track your originals with this tracking. Again, when OCI card is back with Indian consulate, the same tracking # can be used for OCI card courier or pick-up at BLS center.

2. https://passport.gov.in/oci/
Use the acknowledge # you received within 1-2 weeks of applying OCI and all originals (including landing paper) are returned along with the acknowledgement receipt. Now when file is sent to India for OCI printing.

"As per OCI Lady, Landing paper will be provided back with OCI booklet.: - This statement is incorrect for all of the cases I have heard or seen myself, at least with Indian Consulate in Toronto. However, if any other consulate or Ottawa high commission has different procedure that I am unaware of. Check the timeline for return of original documents at https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

I think it should NOT be a case, by any consulate, to keep original documents after sending the Acknowledgement for OCI. Timeline could differ, however procedure to return original documents along with, OCI acknowledgement should be same.

Last edited:

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Thanks Raj for detailed reply.

I applied for both together. I did got my indian passport and surrender certificate with in week.

I have not got any Acknowledge# yet from any where for OCI point of view.

I checked tracking with both way.

(1) https://www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php : Shows " Application Status Processing at Consulate General "

(2) At Passport : Shows " Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS "

My application is processing at Vancouver.

How indian consulate send " Acknowledge# " via email or mail ?

Did you apply for Surrender certificate and OCI together?

I applied for my father's surrender certificate and OCI separately. After receiving surrender certificate, I applied for OCI. For OCI, they took original Indian passport and Landing paper. Both of these were returned within a week with acknowledge # for tracking and file was sent to India for OCI printing.

There are 2 trackings for OCI:

1. https://www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php
Use the receipt #, with "OCIT" you got while applying for OCI. You can track your originals with this tracking. Again, when OCI card is back with Indian consulate, the same tracking # can be used for OCI card courier or pick-up at BLS center.

2. https://passport.gov.in/oci/
Use the acknowledge # you received within 1-2 weeks of applying OCI and all originals (including landing paper) are returned along with the acknowledgement receipt. Now when file is sent to India for OCI printing.

"As per OCI Lady, Landing paper will be provided back with OCI booklet.: - This statement is incorrect for all of the cases I have heard or seen myself, at least with Indian Consulate in Toronto. However, if any other consulate or Ottawa high commission has different procedure that I am unaware of. Check the timeline for return of original documents at https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

I think it should NOT be a case, by any consulate, to keep original documents after sending the Acknowledgement for OCI. Timeline could differ, however procedure to return original documents along with, OCI acknowledgement should be same.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Raj for detailed reply.

I applied for both together. I did got my indian passport and surrender certificate with in week.

I have not got any Acknowledge# yet from any where for OCI point of view.

I checked tracking with both way.

(1) https://www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php : Shows " Application Status Processing at Consulate General "

My application is processing at Vancouver.

How indian consulate send " Acknowledge# " via email or mail ?
Probably in 1-2 weeks, when you receive Acknowledgement with File Reference Number starting with "CANV...", you would get landing paper back. My reference number was "CANT..." because I applied from Toronto. So yours could be CANV for Vancouver. @moabbasi also applied for surrender certificate and OCI together and got surrender certificate on June 04 and acknowledgment for OCI (with landing paper) on June 11.

How you are checking for below status:

Last edited:

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
I am checking it via CANV XXX number and my passport no.
Probably in 1-2 weeks, when you receive Acknowledgement with File Reference Number starting with "CANV...", you would get landing paper back. My reference number was "CANT..." because I applied from Toronto. So yours could be CANV for Vancouver. @moabbasi also applied for surrender certificate and OCI together and got surrender certificate on June 04 and acknowledgment for OCI (with landing paper) on June 11.

How you are checking for below status:

RadheyRawat

Jul 18, 2018
BLS service sucks!!! Lots of time required, long queue and small mistake in forms/paperwork and you are gone, day wasted.

I came across one value added service agent in Toronto who helped me for my Indian tourist visa after getting my Canadian passport. She helped my family members OCI even they need not visit BLS office. We paid but worth considering time, effort and complex process. :)

threestar

Oct 11, 2017
I’m getting my Canadian passport in next 10 days ... can I start my oci process before receiving my Canadian passport or I need to have Canadian passport in hand before begin my OCI Application

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
I’m getting my Canadian passport in next 10 days ... can I start my oci process before receiving my Canadian passport or I need to have Canadian passport in hand before begin my OCI Application
You can surrender Indian passport before receiving Canadian passport I think. Not sure. But for any visa/OCI, you definitely need Canada passport.