+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Lot of people are dying to get a US citizenship. Not sure why your friends family is renouncing US citizenship.Dual citizenship is allowed for both Canada and US.They can keep both.May be there is some issues with US.
US citizens usually renounce their citizenship because to avoid paying taxes on money earned worldwide

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
My son is 5 yrs old. He has a Canadian passport and a OCI booklet.

Once his passport expires, I will need to apply for a new Canadian passport (children passport canot be renewed). After that, do I need to do anything for OCI booklet or can I use the same booklet? I tried to find on BLS, but all information is so cluttered and confusing. Anyone?
For children below 20 years of age and people above 50 years of age, OCI card needs to be re-issued every time the Canadian passport is renewed.

See here:
http://www.mea.gov.in/oci-related-matters.htm

Reactions: amitdi

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
even I have this doubt. if some good samaritan can clear our doubts, that will be great. here is a potential scenario.

my plan is to go to India in Sep. Right now, I have only received acknowledgement. Assuming, my oath will in summer 2018, say July. At that time, when I receive Canadian passport in say late July, should I risk applying for OCI? What if I dont get it in time? Will my Canadian passport be stuck with CGI for OCI processing?
OCI takes usually 2 months. I don't think so you need to submit your original canadian passport for OCI processing however best bet is, visit india on a visitor visa and once you are back, apply for OCI.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
How does this work? You go to India and show Indian passport and when you return to Canada, you show Canadian passport? Remember you no longer have the PR card when you return to Canada.
How does this work? You go to India and show Indian passport and when you return to Canada, you show Canadian passport? Remember you no longer have the PR card when you return to Canada.
Well My spouse went through similar experience. What we did was, the day she got her citizenship CERTIFICATE, we went to BLS and applied for surrender certificate. They dont need Canadian passport for that. It took 2 weeks to get it back. After 2 days of getting the citizenship certificate
we applied for Canadian Passport. Which we got it in 15 days. Then we applied for E-Visa to Visit India. We applied for OCI last week after coming back.

E visa was much faster to obtain (24hrs) and cheaper too. It does not need Surrender Certificate details but I just didnt want to take risk and anyway got the Surrender certificate before I got the Canadian Passport.

Last edited:

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
OCI takes usually 2 months. I don't think so you need to submit your original canadian passport for OCI processing however best bet is, visit india on a visitor visa and once you are back, apply for OCI.
I concur, For OCI they are asking for surredendered Indian Passport and Landing certificate. Not the Canadian Passport

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
Hello friends

Can u guide me regarding OCI application I am from Calgary and going to apply for myself and18 months old daughter

1 all supporting documents - required (the hard copy) one needs to be notarized ?

2. How to upload all documents on website I.e. Size of file and which format( it's not mention in guidelines)
One file will do

3. All supporting documents photocopies should be self attested for upload? Or original will do for upload

4. How to upload signature image ?

Thanks n regards
We applied in Calgary this week too. 1) No need of notary. For uploading, just scan them and upload as different files. for Indian passports scan first and last page)
2) File size matter, so scan it at 100/150 dpi. If not, you can always use online convertors to bring down the PDF size
3) All supporting documents should be self attested copies which should submitted to BLS. For uploading, originals should be fine.
4) Write your signature on a paper, take a pic using your cell phone and use photo editors or online editors to bring it to 1:3 ratio

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Well My spouse went through similar experience. What we did was, the day she got her citizenship CERTIFICATE, we went to BLS and applied for surrender certificate. They dont need Canadian passport for that. It took 2 weeks to get it back. After 2 days of getting the citizenship certificate
we applied for Canadian Passport. Which we got it in 15 days. Then we applied for E-Visa to Visit India. We applied for OCI last week after coming back.

E visa was much faster to obtain (24hrs) and cheaper too. It does not need Surrender Certificate details but I just didnt want to take risk and anyway got the Surrender certificate before I got the Canadian Passport.
I think I will rather go for tourist visa as my wife wishes to stay for 3 months. But thanks a lot for valuable info.

bjsk

Jan 9, 2018
It took 2 weeks for us
Thanks sajc.

To avoid penalty, one must renunciate the indian citizenship within three years of getting canadian citizenship.

For me, it is going to be 3 years in march. so i am hoping to get the surrender certificate prior to that.

Reactions: sajc

Pasi

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2009
Toronto

where do you apply for the E visa?

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
I applied for Surrender of citizenship and OCI together on 3rd Jan and BLS Toronto.
I received my cancelled passport and surrender certificate through Purolator today. In all less than 3 weeks to receive this.
However for my OCI application when i go on the BLS tracker it still says "Processing at Consulate General"
Does anyone with past experience know after how much time does the status change?

Pasi

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2009
Toronto
I applied for Surrender of citizenship and OCI together on 3rd Jan and BLS Toronto.
I received my cancelled passport and surrender certificate through Purolator today. In all less than 3 weeks to receive this.
However for my OCI application when i go on the BLS tracker it still says "Processing at Consulate General"
Does anyone with past experience know after how much time does the status change?
did they not ask you for the surrender certificate to apply for OCI?