+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

ankit1482

Aug 25, 2017
My application is stuck on "

Processing at Consulate General" from last month and a half.. Is this normal ??Can anybody guide me please.
I applied at edmonton BLS by walkin. and this application status does not match to anything that people have written here

bjsk

Jan 9, 2018
I am applying for the surrender certificate and oci together. i talked to a bls agent and was told that all postal applications should go to Surrey. No original document is required for oci as only the oci booklet is issued now. However, i could see on the bls website wherein mentioned that original documents are required for oci. I would appreciate if any one on this thread could comment on that. Thanks!

ankit1482

Aug 25, 2017
I am applying for the surrender certificate and oci together. i talked to a bls agent and was told that all postal applications should go to Surrey. No original document is required for oci as only the oci booklet is issued now. However, i could see on the bls website wherein mentioned that original documents are required for oci. I would appreciate if any one on this thread could comment on that. Thanks!
i did the same ....for surrender certifiate u need to send ur indian passport along with application. and for oci u need to send your original landing paper along

bjsk

Jan 9, 2018
i will be sending my application on 15 jan for both surrender and oci together. i was told by the agent it will take one month for surrender certificate to arrive and 2 months for oci.

Reactions: Weltmeister

George1978

Feb 1, 2015
I need some information. What all documents have to be uploaded along with Part A?

Can I register on line before I get my surrender certificate?I mean should I upload a soft copy of my surrender certificate too with Part A?Is it a requirement?

I have only limited time.Thats why I don't want to make any mistakes.I need to be well prepared.

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
I need some information. What all documents have to be uploaded along with Part A?

Can I register on line before I get my surrender certificate?I mean should I upload a soft copy of my surrender certificate too with Part A?Is it a requirement?

I have only limited time.Thats why I don't want to make any mistakes.I need to be well prepared.
You don't need surrender certificate before applying for oci, you can submit both together. Better to visit BLS for this.

sjp123

Aug 20, 2016
Visa Office......
NovaScotia
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
03-01-2017
Nomination.....
21-03-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
OCI BLS Toronto Application received date 20-12-2017
Consulate( CGI) Toronto acknowledgement date 17-01-2018

George1978

Feb 1, 2015
Quick question, I have a friend in USA, who got USA citizenship .. he got an OCI for his American passport soemtime back ..
His whole family is now in Canada applying for Canadian citizenship ..
Assuming he gets his citizenship in Canada and passport, can he get another OCI for this Canadian passport, or transfer the one from the American one to Canadian passport ..? How does it work ..?
They are giving up their American citizenship after acquiring Canadian one ..
Lot of people are dying to get a US citizenship. Not sure why your friends family is renouncing US citizenship.Dual citizenship is allowed for both Canada and US.They can keep both.May be there is some issues with US.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
My son is 5 yrs old. He has a Canadian passport and a OCI booklet.

Once his passport expires, I will need to apply for a new Canadian passport (children passport canot be renewed). After that, do I need to do anything for OCI booklet or can I use the same booklet? I tried to find on BLS, but all information is so cluttered and confusing. Anyone?

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
i did the same ....for surrender certifiate u need to send ur indian passport along with application. and for oci u need to send your original landing paper along
even I have this doubt. if some good samaritan can clear our doubts, that will be great. here is a potential scenario.

my plan is to go to India in Sep. Right now, I have only received acknowledgement. Assuming, my oath will in summer 2018, say July. At that time, when I receive Canadian passport in say late July, should I risk applying for OCI? What if I dont get it in time? Will my Canadian passport be stuck with CGI for OCI processing?

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Thank you. Yes that is the problem and e visa wants a surrender certificate too :(. I checked cgi website and it says we can travel with Indian passport for 3 months after we take the oath. I think that is the safest bet.
How does this work? You go to India and show Indian passport and when you return to Canada, you show Canadian passport? Remember you no longer have the PR card when you return to Canada.

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014
How does this work? You go to India and show Indian passport and when you return to Canada, you show Canadian passport? Remember you no longer have the PR card when you return to Canada.
please dont do this. one of my friend was not allowed to board the flight back as there is no entry stamp on the canadian ppt. He had to go to the local passport office surrender the indian passport - get other formalities done before allowed to leave india ( a month later). Please read other posts in this thread - some one has already detailed all the steps he or she had to go through in this situation.