thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Last edited:

jhilmil

Jan 31, 2018
Hi,

I applied for OCI in the month of november. I got back the originals I submitted. So when can I expect the OCI booklet

The Arsenal

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Thanks sajc.

To avoid penalty, one must renunciate the indian citizenship within three years of getting canadian citizenship.

For me, it is going to be 3 years in march. so i am hoping to get the surrender certificate prior to that.
are you saying you can hold on to indian passport for 3 years after getting your canadian citizenship?

Last edited:

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
are you saying you can hold on to indian passport for 3 years after getting your canadian citizenship?
you are correct. but the way you are interpreting is not entirely accurate IMO.

think of it this way - you have to surrender your passport and if you do it within 3 years, there is no fine. this assumes that you have not used your passport for travel in those 3 years.

if you use it for travel OR if you surrender after 3 years, then there are fines.

makes sense?

The Arsenal

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
you are correct. but the way you are interpreting is not entirely accurate IMO.

think of it this way - you have to surrender your passport and if you do it within 3 years, there is no fine. this assumes that you have not used your passport for travel in those 3 years.

if you use it for travel OR if you surrender after 3 years, then there are fines.

makes sense?
So i could have possession of the indian passport even after i acquire a canadian passport but not use it anywhere is what your saying.

The Arsenal

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Here is some helpful information regarding Renunciation of Indian Citizenship(Surrender of Nationality) which describes the details about grace period of 3 months for travel with Indian passport and cancellation of Indian Passport within 3 years:

http://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
Hi, yes i read this article.
Could you please explain whats my best option here.
1. Can i visit India on my indian passport after i get my citizenship certificate but still not having applied for a canadian passport?
2. If i stay and apply for a canadian passport and get an indian tourist visa, could i still retain the indian passport without using it and return it after coming back from my trip?

Thanks.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hi, yes i read this article.
Could you please explain whats my best option here.
1. Can i visit India on my indian passport after i get my citizenship certificate but still not having applied for a canadian passport?
2. If i stay and apply for a canadian passport and get an indian tourist visa, could i still retain the indian passport without using it and return it after coming back from my trip?

Thanks.
1-there is no clear cut answer. if you use Indian passport to enter India, what passport you will use when leaving India. There is emmigration check when you leave. You will need to use Canadian passport to enter Canada because you dont have your PR card.

I dont have all the answers, but I read on this thread someone saying that this has caused lot of issues for someone. I will highly recommend just not using Indian passport and go for the safe option of getting the right Indian visa.

But lets discuss, if anyone has any other recommendations.

2-again I am not 100% sure, but I think you need to surrender Indian passport for tourist visa. For OCI, I know definitely you need to surrender.

bjsk

Jan 9, 2018
if you don't use the passport for travel. you can keep the passport up to 3 years without penalty. But if you do, then a penalty should be paid during the renunciation.

bjsk

Jan 9, 2018
i applied for renunciation and oci together on 15th of this month. i have not heard back anything from bls or consulate.