+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Hi All, Both I and my spouse are OCI holders and we want to get our kid 2yr old (born in Canada) OCI as well.

From what I read online, we need to submit each and every document for both the parents i.e from our landing papers to cancelled Indian Passport, surrender certificate, Canadian Passport, OCI booklet...etc. etc..to get our kid OCI.

What a ridiculous cumbersome process. We already have OCI, why they want all our original documents again? Even the Canadian office here, doesn't ask for all this for a passport renewal.

I hope I am wrong in reading the directions on site (as I didn't see the scenario for a child of Parents with OCI) . If anyone has experience with this process , please share.
Hi,
I am not sure how the process works for kids. But if the document check list ask for all the documents from both parents then you have to send it to them. There are many reasons why they are asking for those documents. If you are ever involved with dual citizenship of any country the process is very similar and document requirement is huge.

manu.m

Sep 7, 2018
Our OCI timeline Applied at BLS Brampton

Hubby's
Submitted at BLS 7-Sep-19
Cancelled Passport 15-Oct-19
Acknowledgement Date 20-Sep-19
Received Original 25-Sep-19
Processed (Delhi) 10-Oct-19
Dispatched (Delhi) 10-Oct-19
Received Toronto 10-Oct-19
Received at Home 16-Oct-19

Wife's+ Child
Submitted at BLS 5-Oct-19
Cancelled Passport 18-Oct-19
Acknowledgement Date 17-Oct-19
Received Original 21-Oct-19
Processed (Delhi) 6-Nov-19
Dispatched (Delhi) 6-Nov-19
Received Toronto 6-Nov-19
Received at Home 11-Nov-19

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Our OCI timeline Applied at BLS Brampton

Hubby's
Submitted at BLS 7-Sep-19
Cancelled Passport 15-Oct-19
Acknowledgement Date 20-Sep-19
Received Original 25-Sep-19
Processed (Delhi) 10-Oct-19
Dispatched (Delhi) 10-Oct-19
Received Toronto 10-Oct-19
Received at Home 16-Oct-19

Wife's+ Child
Submitted at BLS 5-Oct-19
Cancelled Passport 18-Oct-19
Acknowledgement Date 17-Oct-19
Received Original 21-Oct-19
Processed (Delhi) 6-Nov-19
Dispatched (Delhi) 6-Nov-19
Received Toronto 6-Nov-19
Received at Home 11-Nov-19
Congratulations! Did you submit both passport surrender and OCI forms together? Can you give me the list of documents you submitted ( Original and Copies) for adults and kids, if possible? The checklist is confusing. My kids are born in India.

Thanks in Advance.

manu.m

Sep 7, 2018
Congratulations! Did you submit both passport surrender and OCI forms together? Can you give me the list of documents you submitted ( Original and Copies) for adults and kids, if possible? The checklist is confusing. My kids are born in India.

Thanks in Advance.
I found this link very useful : https://spark.adobe.com/page/w4G13xr1y2ut4/

My son was born in another county (not India or Canada) so we had to submit a birth registration document from Indian Consulate as well as Birth Certificate. You can apply for both Surrender and OCI at the same time.

Other than the Last Indian Passport, they didn't take any original from us.

For the Child application, there was a additional form in the checklist where we had include both the parents photograph and sign.

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013

My son was born in another county (not India or Canada) so we had to submit a birth registration document from Indian Consulate as well as Birth Certificate. You can apply for both Surrender and OCI at the same time.

For the Child application, there was a additional form in the checklist where we had include both the parents photograph and sign.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate your prompt response. The link you gave really makes things simple.

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013

hi, I have another question regarding document upload. i already uploaded the documents and now I realise that I need to self-attest the documents.
Did you self-attest on each page of the document? Do we have to upload after self-attestation?

Regards
venugopal

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
hi, I have another question regarding document upload. i already uploaded the documents and now I realise that I need to self-attest the documents.
Did you self-attest on each page of the document? Do we have to upload after self-attestation?

Regards
venugopal
You can upload documents without self attestation and attest them later.

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hi,

Appreciate if anyone can answer below questions.
BLS website says each applicant needs a separate appointment for OCI application. We are a family of 4 (2 Adults 2 Kids). Do I have to take appointment for all? Can I submit application for all 4 or everyone needs to go to BLS?

jayti

Jan 19, 2010
Hi,

Appreciate if anyone can answer below questions.
BLS website says each applicant needs a separate appointment for OCI application. We are a family of 4 (2 Adults 2 Kids). Do I have to take appointment for all? Can I submit application for all 4 or everyone needs to go to BLS?
Hi,
You don't need to make appointment to submit your application for OCI. Just walking in submission hours. ( 8am to 1pm)
One more thing I would like to remind you when you go to any counter please first thing tell them I WILL PICKUP MY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS AND OCI ONCE IS PROCESSED. Or else you looking around another $200 extra for delivery.

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hi,
You don't need to make appointment to submit your application for OCI. Just walking in submission hours. ( 8am to 1pm)
One more thing I would like to remind you when you go to any counter please first thing tell them I WILL PICKUP MY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS AND OCI ONCE IS PROCESSED. Or else you looking around another $200 extra for delivery.
Thanks a lot for the information and tip.

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013

Does the parents photograph need to be same as the one we submit for OCI ? Can it be a photograph where both parents are together?

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is mandatory to take drafts for the payment? Can we pay by debit card?
The consulate fee can only be paid by DD which is $425 is think (please double check).
You can pay BLS fee by debit when submitting application.