+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Hari_18881

Oct 25, 2018
Hi Hari,
BLS complaint: servicehq.canada@blsinternational.net
Consulate: consec.toronto@mea.gov.in
FYI: I haven't heard any thing back yet from either of them. Following was my complaint:

Hello Consular,
I hope this email finds you well.

I am writing as a highly frustrated consumer, who is really fed up with BLS service and failure on their part to take accountability. I am writing to you in hopes that I can find a way where my reasonable concerns will be heard and resolved.

My wife had availed BLS service almost 4 times in last few years and they have shipped my packages to wrong addresses every single time. My concerns with BLS brampton:
- I was forced (given no choice, I had to accept) to avail courier service every single time even when i declined it and willing to travel to receive my package by hand. When i confronted them about the packages send to wrong addresses, they try to put blame back on me stating "Mistake made on my side for putting wrong address on my applications" which is not true. I can produce evidence of my applications submitted which has addresses on them. When told that I can produce evidence that its a mistake made on their part, then they start making excuses.

- I called on Nov 28, 2019 around 4:00 pm to BLS customer service requested to talk to manager after my package send to wrong address (this is the fourth time and second time in last one month). They hang up on me 4 times and then didn't respond to my call. Finally, after 45 mins someone received my call again then I was told that manager has left for the day.

- I was told every single time by BLS to pay extra for re-routing courier or forget about it even when its mistake on BLS part. This includes the conversation I had with the gentleman on Nov 28, 2019 telling me that I have to make extra payment to get my package re-routed.

- BLS charges me almost $35 for local courier each time and $70 for OCI and then I had to pay extra every time either in terms of money or extra time spend trying to kind my package. As, you might know that local courier services do not cost more than $15 for same day shipping and BLS is charging almost $30-$35 depending upon application type, this is a total rip off and complete lack of respect towards customers.During my last visit, I asked for detailed payment receipt, the front desk totally refused to give me the receipt which should have description of each service charged separately, instead gave me a single debit machine receipt with one single amount and no description of any of the charges.

We are highly frustrated right now, and had no choice but to turn to Indian Consulate for such a lack of respect, co-operation, service, accountability and no solution provided on BLS part. I am not writing to get my money back but to hold them responsible for the stuff I had to go through and have seen during my visits at BLS Brampton.

I hope there are procedures in place which hold BLS accountable for these kind of irresponsible behavior. Indian consulate is using BLS as their outsourcing agent for so many services, there has to be a better way to provide customer service. I hope to get a concrete response back with the action taken in regards to my complaint against BLS. I am willing to provide any evidence if required as I have saved copies and payment receipts from BLS.

Regards
Davinder Pal Singh
Thanks a lot Davinder!! I very much appreciate it. I'll reach out to them too. I'll keep this forum posted about any progress.

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Thanks a lot Davinder!! I very much appreciate it. I'll reach out to them too. I'll keep this forum posted about any progress.
Hi Hari,
I got the reply back from bls complaint center as well as from consulate. I email consulate and cc the bls complaint email i provide in my previous message. BLS finally acknowledged that a mistake was made on their end and going to make refund. But as we can see this is not matter of a refund this is a systematical issue where BLS employees don't give customers option of pick up and force them to accept courier service. I am going to continue with pressing BLS on this issue and hopefully try to bring some change.

Last edited:

Hari_18881

Oct 25, 2018
Hi Hari,
I got the reply back from bls complaint center as well as from consulate. I email consulate and cc the bls complaint email i provide in my previous message. BLS finally acknowledged that a mistake was made on their end and going to make refund. But as we can see this is not matter of a refund this is a systematical issue where BLS employees don't give customers option of pick up and force them to accept courier service. I am going to continue with pressing BLS on this issue and hopefully try to bring some change.
Thats fantastic that they finally agreed it was their mistake and took accountability. And as you said, it is not a matter of refund. But I would say, IT IS. Why should applicants loose their hard earned money for nothing. BLS won't pay for our courier charges right. :) And yes, I totally agree with you, it is a systematic issue where BLS is fraudulently charging courier fee to applicants without their CONSENT and without even providing options. I logged a complaint ticket with BLS. Will wait and see what they have to say. If I dont hear back from them, then I'll escalate it to Consulate with Ticket number.

Hari_18881

Oct 25, 2018
FRIENDS - PLEASE BE AWARE AND ALERT when you visit BLS. BLS staff are charging courier fee (in my case Passport surrender - $30 and OCI - $53 in separate visits, Total - $83) by default even though courier service is OPTIONAL. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO INSIST THAT YOU'D PREFER IN-PERSON PICKUP WHICH IS HASSLE FREE (in case you live not too far from BLS and you have no issue to commute to pick up). BLS STAFF WOULD MISLEAD YOU LIE TO YOU THAT COURIER IS MANDATORY. BUT DO NOT GIVE IN, STAND YOUR GROUND. Please do make sure to inform fellow applicants who line up outside BLS office before they open their gates.

Reactions: dev514

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Thats fantastic that they finally agreed it was their mistake and took accountability. And as you said, it is not a matter of refund. But I would say, IT IS. Why should applicants loose their hard earned money for nothing. BLS won't pay for our courier charges right. :) And yes, I totally agree with you, it is a systematic issue where BLS is fraudulently charging courier fee to applicants without their CONSENT and without even providing options. I logged a complaint ticket with BLS. Will wait and see what they have to say. If I dont hear back from them, then I'll escalate it to Consulate with Ticket number.
Great! I still suggest you to log you complaint with consulate even if you don't want them to take any action. It seems like consulate has no clue what is going on in reality. And I was pretty impressed with the swift action by consulate.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Great! I still suggest you to log you complaint with consulate even if you don't want them to take any action. It seems like consulate has no clue what is going on in reality. And I was pretty impressed with the swift action by consulate.
Can you let us know what the consulate had to say in response, please?

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
The actual response came from BLS side because I contacted the consulate with my issue. So, this shows that consulate had contacted BLS and as soon as i get response from BLS one of the consular contacted me via email for my feedback. And also following is the reply that i received when I contacted Consulate on how to log my complaint.

Dear Mr .......,

You may please write to the undersigned or the Consul-General.
We will do the needful to resolve the problem.

Regards,
--------
Hoti Lal
Consul (CPV)
Consulate General of India
#700, 365 Bloor Street East,
Toronto ON M4W3L4
Tel: +1-416-960-0751 / 2
Email- oci.toronto@mea.gov.in
Website- www.cgitoronto.gov.in

I suggest to simply send your complaint to consulate and hopefully when they get enough complaints they might take some decisions

ninja1987

Jul 6, 2016
I submitted my OCI application on Dec 11 at BLS Toronto. The status shows: "Application Status - In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre". Transit from consulate to BLS doesn't make sense?? Any input pls???

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
I submitted my OCI application on Dec 11 at BLS Toronto. The status shows: "Application Status - In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre". Transit from consulate to BLS doesn't make sense?? Any input pls???
This status usually means that consulate has returned your originals to BLS and then BLS will send you an envelop which will have your original documents. If you do not submit any original documents then you will receive an empty envelop. But usually this process take place between 2-3 weeks but in your case it seems different. Check with BLS, i would suggest.

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Hi,
I also received an email from consulate that stated in details the step they took and the meetings they had with top BLS officials to discuss the on going issues. I am glad that i made my complaint with consulate and really amazed with their swift action.

PR_Applicant

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
AOR Received.
13-02-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
01-11-2013
Med's Done....
22-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
28-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-Mar-2014
LANDED..........
29-Mar-2014
I submitted on 07-Dec, my status shows as “In transit from Consulate to BLS Center”.
My friends says it would take a month. But for me in one week. Not sure whether it’s good sign or anything going wrong. Fingers crossed

Hari_18881

Oct 25, 2018
I submitted on 07-Dec, my status shows as “In transit from Consulate to BLS Center”.
My friends says it would take a month. But for me in one week. Not sure whether it’s good sign or anything going wrong. Fingers crossed
I'm in the same boat. I submitted on 30-Dec-2019. My online status changed from "In process at consulate" --> "In transit from Consulate to BLS Center" ---> And the current status shows "Original documents are Ready for Collection". I was all excited that my OCI is ready for collection. I just called BLS, Toronto to make sure. The executive told, it is NOT the OCI card but some acknowledgement that is ready for collection. I was like, "what would I do with acknowledgement?".
Anyway, the point is, he said, I'll have to wait until the online status says, "Passport ready for collection".

So please don't be deceived. Please call BLS before you go there.

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
I'm in the same boat. I submitted on 30-Dec-2019. My online status changed from "In process at consulate" --> "In transit from Consulate to BLS Center" ---> And the current status shows "Original documents are Ready for Collection". I was all excited that my OCI is ready for collection. I just called BLS, Toronto to make sure. The executive told, it is NOT the OCI card but some acknowledgement that is ready for collection. I was like, "what would I do with acknowledgement?".
Anyway, the point is, he said, I'll have to wait until the online status says, "Passport ready for collection".

So please don't be deceived. Please call BLS before you go there.
You can also check OCI status on Consulate website. This will give you better idea of what is going on.

Dec 9, 2009
Is 5 year Visa newly introduced? $80 for 5 years Visa looks good to me and serves the purpose as well. Unless kids intend to stay more than 6 months.
Dear Venugopalt where can I get the information about the above please give the link if you can.

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Is 5 year Visa newly introduced? $80 for 5 years Visa looks good to me and serves the purpose as well. Unless kids intend to stay more than 6 months.
Dear Venugopalt where can I get the information about the above please give the link if you can.
You can even get 10 year visa but it is on consulates if they are willing to give you 10 year visa. Check consulate website