+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

hopefulcndn

Apr 26, 2019
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 29-OCT-2019
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On ???????
Document received At VANCOUVER On ????????

this is my status...anyone from Vancouver similar experience?

hopefulcndn

Apr 26, 2019
the File acknowledgment number is the CANT### . I dont know what is the online reg # but don't need it if you have CANT.

Just an update for others, went last week for walkin surrender+ OCI application, BLS (Toronto) didn't take any original docs other than the Indian passport being surrendered. We even took notarized copies as didn't want to submit originals but they didn't need it (wasted $$). We opted for pickup so I guess will go pickup the surrender envelope and another empty envelope . Also for OCI, we got the CANT## number right away, which can be used to track on both BLS and the India Gov website (although I think India Gov will have more detailed updates).

Unlike before, I feel attitude has improved and they were more friendly (and no frowns when we asked for pickup instead of delivery...maybe we got lucky lol).

BTW the cybercafe next door certainly helps to avoid another trip.

This is true.. always opt for PICKUP... coz if you are not at home PUROLATOR will leave the pickup card on ur mail--- and IRONY is the location of mail pickup will be nearest to the BLS centre... you can save ~~$60 in just courier fees... Which NONE OF THE BLS REP would proactively advise you...

i am awaiting my OCI card.. and pretty sure they'll attempt delivery during normal day hours and i will have to again go and pickup from PUROLATOR store... it happened to me for my CANCELLED INDIAN PASSPORT>..

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 29-OCT-2019
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On ???????
Document received At VANCOUVER On ????????

this is my status...anyone from Vancouver similar experience?
Watch out on BLS website for Purolator in next couple of days. You should get your OCI soon.

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
This is true.. always opt for PICKUP... coz if you are not at home PUROLATOR will leave the pickup card on ur mail--- and IRONY is the location of mail pickup will be nearest to the BLS centre... you can save ~~$60 in just courier fees... Which NONE OF THE BLS REP would proactively advise you...

i am awaiting my OCI card.. and pretty sure they'll attempt delivery during normal day hours and i will have to again go and pickup from PUROLATOR store... it happened to me for my CANCELLED INDIAN PASSPORT>..
The last time I tried to opt for pickup the rep didnt even let me do it. I asked her why I can't pick up? She was like you won't know when to pick up. I told her that I can call and check with BLS when can i pick up. She said they don't tell you over the phone. After going back and forth for 10 mins I had left with no choice but to opt for courier. The main reason we don't want courier is that my wife had gone through BLS courier 3 time and every single time they send her stuff to totally wrong address and then we were left searching for package and even paid purolator extra 2 times to get it re-routed to our address. And ironically, they did the same thing very recently with OCI document return where they send it to totally wrong address. My wife is totally fed up with BLS shit right now. LOL!!! she will never see their face once her OCI is received. Hopefully, they won't send that to wrong address, that will be 5th time. (FYI: Once I received 3 passport in an envelop that were supposed to send to someone in Vancouver. It seems like they applied for Indian Visas. I had to spend money to return those passports to original owners. BLS was not even acknowledging that it was their fault and poor family whose passports I received through purolator.)

ah284

Oct 13, 2019
Hi all!

Situation for applying for OCI

Main applicant - Husband (Only) : Born and raised in UAE, held Indian passport until he became a Canadian Citizen. Parents are Indian by birth, and holds Indian passport till date (Currently residing in UAE).
Wife: Born and raised in Malaysia, held Malaysian passport until she became a Canadian Citizen. Mother is Indian and Father is Malaysian born (Indian origin).
Marriage took place in Canada.

What documents of the spouse( wife in this case) is required to submit for marital status proof and other requirements? Also, is the marriage certificate to be authenticated and notarized?
Are documents of the wife required even if she is not applying for OCI?

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Hi all!

Situation for applying for OCI

Main applicant - Husband (Only) : Born and raised in UAE, held Indian passport until he became a Canadian Citizen. Parents are Indian by birth, and holds Indian passport till date (Currently residing in UAE).
Wife: Born and raised in Malaysia, held Malaysian passport until she became a Canadian Citizen. Mother is Indian and Father is Malaysian born (Indian origin).
Marriage took place in Canada.

What documents of the spouse( wife in this case) is required to submit for marital status proof and other requirements? Also, is the marriage certificate to be authenticated and notarized?
Are documents of the wife required even if she is not applying for OCI?
Hi,
Birth Certificate: Authenticated as well as notarized because you are born both outside Indian and Canada.
Marriage Certificate: Authenticated as well as notarized
Wife birth certificate copy only. Authentication required if she is applying.
Wife passport copy
Proof that your parents are Indian citizen. Copy of passports might be asked by consular.
If your wife is applying, then you have to book for an interview with consular at consulate and then they will check all the originals and ask you some questions before giving you permission to apply.
Follow all the other document check list as mentioned on consular website.

Reactions: ah284

VijayAggarwal

Jun 25, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
01-03-2016
Got my OCI yesterday. Entire process took 1 month.

I applied in person at Vancouver.

Few things to note:
  • you need to have Canadian passport
  • you can apply renunciation and OCI all together in one visit.
  • Renunciation and OCI are both online applications printed and submitted along with other supporting documents.
  • COPR is not required anymore (original or copy)

Reactions: GraceCan

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Got my OCI yesterday. Entire process took 1 month.

I applied in person at Vancouver.

Few things to note:
  • you need to have Canadian passport
  • you can apply renunciation and OCI all together in one visit.
  • Renunciation and OCI are both online applications printed and submitted along with other supporting documents.
  • COPR is not required anymore (original or copy)
Congrats

Ninjashadow

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Hello,
Just a quick question

I'm apply OCI for my two year old boy who is in india for longer stay. I applied ETourist Visa From Toronto before visiting India.

Question: Does ETourist Visa suffice for the application of OCI in india or do I need to apply for actual Tourist Visa on Passport before applying?

karma2000

Mar 27, 2019
Hi All, Both I and my spouse are OCI holders and we want to get our kid 2yr old (born in Canada) OCI as well.

From what I read online, we need to submit each and every document for both the parents i.e from our landing papers to cancelled Indian Passport, surrender certificate, Canadian Passport, OCI booklet...etc. etc..to get our kid OCI.

What a ridiculous cumbersome process. We already have OCI, why they want all our original documents again? Even the Canadian office here, doesn't ask for all this for a passport renewal.

I hope I am wrong in reading the directions on site (as I didn't see the scenario for a child of Parents with OCI) . If anyone has experience with this process , please share.

PunjabiCan

Nov 7, 2019
I submitted my OCI application at BRAMPTON BLS Center on September 30, 2019
I got my OCI Booklet delivered by Purolator courier on October 7, 2019 today.

Reactions: GraceCan

kot81

May 15, 2017
Hi All,
Has anyone applied and received OCI from within India? I am trying to understand the timelines and drawbacks (if any) of applying from india

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Hello,
Just a quick question

I'm apply OCI for my two year old boy who is in india for longer stay. I applied ETourist Visa From Toronto before visiting India.

Question: Does ETourist Visa suffice for the application of OCI in india or do I need to apply for actual Tourist Visa on Passport before applying?
Visa is not a requirement for OCI. I suggest you to go through OCI consulate website so that you can understand the process of OCI.