+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath ceremony-Can household member appear in the video?

Aktars

Feb 14, 2017
Hi all,
My online citizenship oath ceremony is coming up. Can my Canadian boyfriend sit next to me during the zoom ceremony? Or does he have to hide from the background ? We live in the same household and not breaking covid rules. What have people in similar situation do?

TIA!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Not indicated in the invite, and will wait for others to confirm this can be done, but even so, I think it’s best to personally ask permission to the citizenship officer at check-in, or even to reply and ask over email.

Reactions: Aktars

Sque

Star Member
Jan 11, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mississauga
LANDED..........
29-06-2014
I believe as long your boyfriend is a Canadian citizen, he would be welcome to join in and affirm the oath with you.

Ahmed15

Jul 7, 2015
Canada
I believe as long your boyfriend is a Canadian citizen, he would be welcome to join in and affirm the oath with you.
Why does somebody have to be Canadian to be part of their family's oath ceremony?
Hi all,
My online citizenship oath ceremony is coming up. Can my Canadian boyfriend sit next to me during the zoom ceremony? Or does he have to hide from the background ? We live in the same household and not breaking covid rules. What have people in similar situation do?

TIA!
You can check with IRCC but I do not see any problem with family members being part of your ceremony. Sitting next to you or in the same room as you are.

Sque

Star Member
Jan 11, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mississauga
LANDED..........
29-06-2014
Why does somebody have to be Canadian to be part of their family's oath ceremony?

You can check with IRCC but I do not see any problem with family members being part of your ceremony. Sitting next to you or in the same room as you are.
I saw a virtual ceremony where the judge stated that if anyone has guests or family members who are Canadian citizens, they are more than welcome to join in. So I am not sure if it's restricted to only citizens. But I agree; they should check with IRCC and find out.

sookie85

Apr 30, 2014
Kosovo
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
09-05-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2015
File Transfer...
07-08-2015
Med's Request
26-05-2016
Med's Done....
13-06-2016
Interview........
09-05-2016
Passport Req..
28-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2016
Yes, family members are more than welcome to join regardless of their status in Canada. In fact, IRCC encourages future citizens to bring family members and children (this is even stated in the Discovery Book and citizenship videos) to the ceremony to celebrate this big life event. Good luck!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hmmm AFAIK, anyone were welcome to the in-person ceremony before the pandemic. I don't recall any restrictions based on citizenship being put forward for people attending the citizenship ceremony. IMO, anyone who is a family member irrespective of being a Canadian citizen or not can join the ceremony.

Reactions: Sque and sookie85

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I saw a virtual ceremony where the judge stated that if anyone has guests or family members who are Canadian citizens, they are more than welcome to join in. So I am not sure if it's restricted to only citizens. But I agree; they should check with IRCC and find out.
I believe the point of that was any citizens are welcome to make the oath if they wish as well, not that non-citizens can't be present.

PEQ2013

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Hi, I would like to know whether there is more news on this front. Has someone done their oath with family members on the same Zoom call?

PEQ2013

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
So, I just received by oath notice. I wonder if anyone else has experience inviting another household member to participate in the zoom call. Thanks.

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
Can my overseas family (parents and husband) join oath ceremony via the Zoom links provided?
No, I don't think so as you are requested not to share the link with anyone. The link is for intended participants only. Your family members could physically sit there with you

Reactions: snoopyta