+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***November 2018*** INLAND SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

CAN-AL2018

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
From: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=206&top=17

Should I apply for an eTA or a visa when I apply for a work permit?
No. Depending on your citizenship, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, as well as a work permit. Your eTA or visa will be issued to you at the same time as your work permit. You do not need to apply separately or to pay an additional fee.

You may also need to give biometrics. Citizens from 29 countries and 1 territory need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.
I also found this page to be useful for anyone wondering what the requirements are to travel back to Canada after receiving the OWP: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend.html#worker_travel

From visa-exempt country:
- passport
- work permit
- eTA (if traveling by air)

From visa-required country:
- passport
- work permit
- valid visa ***You don’t need a valid visa if you return directly from a visit only to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon.
- eTA ***Only for specific countries: Brazil, Bulgaria and Romania

Suze7982

Star Member
Jan 29, 2019
Alberta
So basically imaging the following timeline

PPR received and passport stamped

Get married

Following this can I arrive with my wife? Or should she update her profile of the family composition change before landing which results in her VISA getting cancelled and having to upload my documentation. Following which we both get a new PPR and both land together.

If not for the above, can we still marry and not inform the authorities but I would travel with her using a visitor VISA, after which could we start the inland sponsorship process?

Or do I have to stay in my country and let her travel to canada alone, and start the outland spouse sponsorship process. im not sure what to do
I think you're better off speaking with an immigration lawyer Rakitha, just so you get some correct information. I'm really not qualified to give you that advice, all I did was a Google search so my knowledge is limited regarding your situation.

Last edited:

RakithaW

Feb 25, 2019
I think you're better off speaking with an immigration lawyer Rakitha, just so you get some correct information. I'm really not qualidqua to give you that advice, all I did was a Google search so my knowledge is limited regarding your situation.
Thanks anyway!

Reactions: Suze7982

Gabe2019V

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Nope, as long as you don't go on welfare it's fine. I asked someone from the IRCC twitter about this as well and they said you don't have to inform them of any employment changes.
Thanks. However, when I applied as I Sponsor, I also submitted an employment letter from current employer. What if they call to confirm or verify or something?

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
Hey guys, I hope this is not a dumb question and someone can help me. Now that the OWP is approved, can I just bring it as a travel document? Can I use it like a visa or I need to apply for a new visa? I'm a little confused. I currently hold a tourist visa that will expire on the 26th of this month.

I am in a similar situation, my visitor visa expires in May and i thought of extending it but after getting the OWP i might need to leave the country for a little while, the immigration call center said it would be okay to leave after receiving the OWP but i am not sure what's the right thing to do here to make sure it wont effect the application

Calm2019

Jan 31, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
November 2, 2018
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
November 22, 2018
Med's Request
January 21, 2019
Med's Done....
January 29, 2019
Work permit is not a travel document. I think you need apply for a visa renewal/extension[/QUO
I am in a similar situation, my visitor visa expires in May and i thought of extending it but after getting the OWP i might need to leave the country for a little while, the immigration call center said it would be okay to leave after receiving the OWP but i am not sure what's the right thing to do here to make sure it wont effect the application
Hi you may check this link;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1287&top=22

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

ginko

May 1, 2017
Thanks. However, when I applied as I Sponsor, I also submitted an employment letter from current employer. What if they call to confirm or verify or something?
From my understanding, as long as your employment/income info was accurate at the time you submitted the app (and you're not on welfare now), CIC won't care

Reactions: Gabe2019V

Gabe2019V

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
From my understanding, as long as your employment/income info was accurate at the time you submitted the app (and you're not on welfare now), CIC won't care
Thanks. Could you please tell me where did you find this information?

bluelady

Star Member
Feb 22, 2019
HI everyone! I have a question. If the OWP gets approved and then your status as visitor expires. do you still need to apply for visitor extension?

Calm2019

Jan 31, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
November 2, 2018
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
November 22, 2018
Med's Request
January 21, 2019
Med's Done....
January 29, 2019
HI everyone! I have a question. If the OWP gets approved and then your status as visitor expires. do you still need to apply for visitor extension?
No need