+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My landing experience in IRCC Office, Ottawa on 23rd Jan, 2018

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
To renew your current health card also bring your employment letter and current work permit. Service Ontario has to “bridge” those two. Otherwise you have to wait three months without health coverage.
Not sure if this is true. Service Ontario did not ask us for our employment letter or old/current work permit. They did punched the current health card to make them void. I was able to schedule a couple of doctor's appointments next day using my Voided Health Card along with the receipt provided by the Service Ontario for the new card. The doctor's office didn't raise any concern too while scheduling the appointment and during the visit.

caf445

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
The officer strikethrough the incorrect dates printed on the COPR and wrote the corrected date below it with a black pen by hand along with his/her initials.
Every applicant gets two copies of COPR; one is submitted to CIC during the landing, and the other one is your copy to keep. We are family of three so total 6 COPRs. Our first and last entry on all COPRs were incorrect. That means the officer needs to manually correct 12 dates in total and they will also verify the dates if you have entry stamps on your passport. So it took her sometime to correct those dates on all COPRs. In addition to these dates, they need to enter the following information manually too:
- Became PR on: <Date>
- Became PR at: <Place>
- Last entry at: <Place>
Thanks for your answer. Did you notice whether she entered the correct dates to her computer ?

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Thanks for your answer. Did you notice whether she entered the correct dates to her computer ?
I am not too sure about it but she was referring information about our file on her computer screen. She also typed few times during the process but I am not sure if she corrected those dates in system or not. I should have asked her as she was a very nice lady but this didn't cross my mind. I am sure they keep track of all entry/exit dates in Canada. The first/last entry dates they mentioned in our COPR was the date our current work permit extension start date.

caf445

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
I am not too sure about it but she was referring information about our file on her computer screen. She also typed few times during the process but I am not sure if she corrected those dates in system or not. I should have asked her as she was a very nice lady but this didn't cross my mind. I am sure they keep track of all entry/exit dates in Canada. The first/last entry dates they mentioned in our COPR was the date our current work permit extension start date.
I am just curious whether she could type in all the corrected dates and reprint a new COPR. Also if those dates that have been corrected by hand will be typed in the system at the time the PR cards are being issued.

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
I am just curious whether she could type in all the corrected dates and reprint a new COPR. Also if those dates that have been corrected by hand will be typed in the system at the time the PR cards are being issued.
You can definitely ask for this during your inland landing. Good luck!

Hmstr

Star Member
Mar 31, 2017
Not sure if this is true. Service Ontario did not ask us for our employment letter or old/current work permit. They did punched the current health card to make them void. I was able to schedule a couple of doctor's appointments next day using my Voided Health Card along with the receipt provided by the Service Ontario for the new card. The doctor's office didn't raise any concern too while scheduling the appointment and during the visit.
It is true because I was there yesterday. She couldn’t change my status to permanent resident still, quoting it was too early. So she end up just issued a new one expiring in a year under my old work permit and said next time they’ll change my status.

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
It is true because I was there yesterday. She couldn’t change my status to permanent resident still, quoting it was too early. So she end up just issued a new one expiring in a year under my old work permit and said next time they’ll change my status.
looks like this is related to status update in their system. For us, the agent at Service Ontario was able to update the cards with the new status after we became the PR same day morning.

dustytiger

Apr 21, 2019
Yup it all went as planned. The wait was about 2hours long though.
Great, thanks. And congrats!

Do you live in Ottawa? Or did you travel in from out of town? I’m planning to make the trip from Toronto, but have heard conflicting information about whether they will process people residing outside of Ottawa.

And one last question sorry...what did you bring with you?

CaribbeanSensation

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Great, thanks. And congrats!

Do you live in Ottawa? Or did you travel in from out of town? I’m planning to make the trip from Toronto, but have heard conflicting information about whether they will process people residing outside of Ottawa.

And one last question sorry...what did you bring with you?
I live in Ottawa. Hmm they didn’t ask me where I came from, but then they have my Ottawa address so I’m not sure whether they enforce this. You could try emailing to get an appointment in Toronto? The next time you can go is 2nd Tuesday of May which seems to be on the 14th. You might get an appointment before that, hopefully. Otherwise, I don’t see why they would send you back because you’re not from Ottawa. Most of the time you can land everywhere in Canada except for something weird about QC.

I brought my COPR letters, passports and work/study permits, and 2 extra photos. The agent only took one of the extra photos I brought. Also I got lucky because I had old plane tickets with me that she asked for when I needed her to change the last date I entered Canada.