+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My landing experience at Toronto (YYZ)

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
Continuing (each post has a 10000 char limit)

Phone:

For now I've signed up for the Public Mobile service. Will see how it goes.

Talked to the guys at freedom mobile but have read many negative reviews about data connectivity problems and call drops. Their rates are very competitive though.

Public mobile SIM cards are available at Walmart, wow mobile stores and online (no tracking on delivery though). I bought it at a Walmart (was asked to pay "exact" cash. Lol. Paid by card instead).

The sim costs $11 and some change. Plans and inclusions are available on their website.

Service up until now has been good. LTE and 3G speeds have been excellent.

Weather:

It's been overcast for the past few days with intermittent showers. Not too cold and not too warm.

Hope this helps.

Open to queries or other pointers if anyone needs.

Hope you all have a wonderful time in the country.

Best Regards,

RookieMistake.
Your info is awesomely detailed. It should help people like me a lot.

Is it possible for you to list out things needed to be done post landing process? I will be honest, I barely know anything about it - Except that I heard someone say things like "Apply PR Card", "Request Certain Documents", etc.

ram2canada

Jul 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-07-2018
Hey Guys

I'll be landing in YYZ on 20th Feb.
Just a few queries:
1. I heard that if you have a valid offer letter from an employer in Canada, you won't be demanded to show the Proof of funds. My current employer is transferring me to Canada. Will my transfer letter be sufficient or should I request a separate Job Offer letter from the Canadian branch for this purpose?
2. I am just carrying clothes, utensils, edible items and a few electronics and I don't have any goods to bring in through courier. What should be filled in the goods accompanied form in that case?

rahulraman989

Oct 24, 2017
Anyone here who've landed with young children during late hours ? Although I'm pretty clear about the formalities , thanks to all the detailed posts, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to land in toronto at about 10 pm with a 3 year old and then get going with the formalities? Given the 20 hour journey the little one would have had, I'm concerned about finding milk at the airport, something to eat etc.. in short I'd like do me advice on when to land after a 20 hour journey with a 3 yesr old kids in pearson. Appreciate your inputs and advice

Bella89

Jan 4, 2019
Before applying for PR, all of us would have done a education credential assessment. After landing in canada as a PR, do we have to do one more ECA assessment in order to find a job? ( I did read tgis somewhere online that employers ask for one)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone here who've landed with young children during late hours ? Although I'm pretty clear about the formalities , thanks to all the detailed posts, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to land in toronto at about 10 pm with a 3 year old and then get going with the formalities? Given the 20 hour journey the little one would have had, I'm concerned about finding milk at the airport, something to eat etc.. in short I'd like do me advice on when to land after a 20 hour journey with a 3 yesr old kids in pearson. Appreciate your inputs and advice
Couldn't you ask the air hostess to give you some takeaway (milk, something to eat) for you and child to consume at the airport?

ajay100

Jan 16, 2017
I will be soft landing on 30 march 19 at YYZ, i have my picture on COPR, will be coming back to home country after 2 days, should i consider that my picture are of right dimensions, as COPR issuer did not raise any query, of if in case they ask for new image can i send it from my home country ?

Jatinsharma

Jul 15, 2018
that was a very useful & helpful post for people coming to Canada. I am looking for a short stay fully furnished property, airbnb seems to be pretty costly in comparison to what you shared in the post. What would you suggest for a 40 day stay airbnb or a rental house if we can get it. we are two families.

ABhola

Star Member
Oct 24, 2017
India
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
09-07-2018
that was a very useful & helpful post for people coming to Canada. I am looking for a short stay fully furnished property, airbnb seems to be pretty costly in comparison to what you shared in the post. What would you suggest for a 40 day stay airbnb or a rental house if we can get it. we are two families.
Hi Jatin,
If I may ask, when are you planning to land?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As per the other reply might be fine airside but milk is not allowed into Canada even from a supply from the plane unless coming from the US. As always with any food product or dairy always declare and leave to CBSA to determine if admissable in case there is some discretion.

http://inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

There is always as I recall a Starbucks or Subway after arriving and clearing immigration/customs open 24/7 at least somewhere in term 1, not that I have personally used them as my priority at any airport is get through as quick as possible whether departing or arriving.. Check the Pearson website for details, opening hours.

Last edited:

vikramk5

Jul 31, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to share my (first) landing experience. I've divided the post into sections, so feel free to jump/skip if need be.

Flights:

I chose to fly etihad (DEL-AUH-YYZ); though I wouldn't want to do this routing again. The only reason I chose this flight was - being an etihad guest member I had redeemed miles for an award ticket.

Next time I'd prefer a non stop (from DEL/BOM) or via Europe so that I get a healthy break in between the two ~8 hour flights.

Etihad in itself is good; nothing wrong with them.

Luggage:

I checked in two suitcases. One was about 33.4 KG and the other was about 24.5 KG (though it was each 1.5 kg less at home - dint know it could gain weight in the new delhi traffic ;-)). The female staff at the checkin counter were helpful and wrote down one as 32kg and the other as 23kg. I had to pay INR 8281 for the overweight luggage (Etihad allows 2x23kgs as do most airlines to US/CA).

I was one of the first few to checkin. It always helps in these "heavy luggage" situations to checkin (drop baggage) as early as possible. Also, I'd asked the staff to put fragile stickers on it. Don't know if it helps but it gave me "peace of mind".
Thanks for sharing your experience. Quite helpful indeed.
Do you recall if all formalities at the airport can be done over the weekend as well? Say, if we land on a Sunday, can we wrap up all formalities w.r.t. Immigration, Service Canada, Customs?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing your experience. Quite helpful indeed.
Do you recall if all formalities at the airport can be done over the weekend as well? Say, if we land on a Sunday, can we wrap up all formalities w.r.t. Immigration, Service Canada, Customs?

Thanks
Google Service Canada's business hours.

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
Hi

I am going to land in Canada on 2nd of March. I will be going to Winnipeg as my final destination. I will do a soft landing and return to Bangladesh on 8th of March. Do I Need to tell the immigration officer about my intended period of stay. However, I have to stay one day in Vancouver due to no connecting flight. Is there immigration issue if I stay one day in Vancouver. I will fly to Winnipeg next day. Now as a PNP nominee I am carrying 8000 CAD (four member family) and rest money as stock market investment (with portfolio statement). Is this okay? Should I need to fill up any form before moving to Canada, so that I can process quickly. Would anybody kindly send me copies of this form so that I can fill up accordingly. Do I need to fill up PR card application form beforehand? What other documents should I carry with me at the port of entry? Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Eusufzai

Ghufrankhan

Nov 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-14
File Transfer...
21-01-14
Med's Request
06-02-14
Med's Done....
12-2-14
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
24-2-14
LANDED..........
16-07-14
Hi

I am going to land in Canada on 2nd of March. I will be going to Winnipeg as my final destination. I will do a soft landing and return to Bangladesh on 8th of March. Do I Need to tell the immigration officer about my intended period of stay. However, I have to stay one day in Vancouver due to no connecting flight. Is there immigration issue if I stay one day in Vancouver. I will fly to Winnipeg next day. Now as a PNP nominee I am carrying 8000 CAD (four member family) and rest money as stock market investment (with portfolio statement). Is this okay? Should I need to fill up any form before moving to Canada, so that I can process quickly. Would anybody kindly send me copies of this form so that I can fill up accordingly. Do I need to fill up PR card application form beforehand? What other documents should I carry with me at the port of entry? Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Eusufzai
It may be an issue as you can't re-enter Canada until you have your PR card unless you have got a temporary visa.