+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY EXPERIENCE: Re-applying for Study Permit to change DLI

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
If my daughter comes to Toronto in July-22 under the study permit for York University in CRIMINOLOGY for the session starting in Sep-22 and if she gets the offer from University of Toronto in PSYCOLOGY & HEALTH SCIENCES in Sep-22 session (As per UoT if still space availble), Can she change the university by applying online change request before even starting her term in YorkU.
She needs a new study permit If she never studied at York. Since you are a work permit holder then she may be allowed in but they usually want students to arrive only 30 days before classes. You will not know until she comes to Canada. She may or may not be allowed to enter. She will want to show funds/accommodations for those two months as she cannot work.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello,
If my daughter comes to Toronto in July-22 under the study permit for York University in CRIMINOLOGY for the session starting in Sep-22 and if she gets the offer from University of Toronto in PSYCOLOGY & HEALTH SCIENCES in Sep-22 session (As per UoT if still space availble), Can she change the university by applying online change request before even starting her term in YorkU.
No she still needs to re-apply for a new study permit as she wasn't actively studying yet at YorkU.

Ozzyyy

Dec 25, 2021
Hi, my case is similar to yours. I decided to change my DLI after my first application was approved so I couldn’t travel but do you think it’s possible I can withdraw my application for the new school and go to the previous school that was approved the first time because my application is still in progress. So I’m currently doing online classes for the new school and by August I will be done with my first year but I decided to transfer schools back to the school that was attached to my first permit for the September term because it’s still showing it’s still valid. Can I withdraw my application for the second school and use my permit for the first school to travel in September? Will the document still be valid.

Stringer_Bell_786

Aug 27, 2020
Hi, my case is similar to yours. I decided to change my DLI after my first application was approved so I couldn’t travel but do you think it’s possible I can withdraw my application for the new school and go to the previous school that was approved the first time because my application is still in progress. So I’m currently doing online classes for the new school and by August I will be done with my first year but I decided to transfer schools back to the school that was attached to my first permit for the September term because it’s still showing it’s still valid. Can I withdraw my application for the second school and use my permit for the first school to travel in September? Will the document still be valid.
I think since u have started studying, u can directly change DLI in the GCKey portal, no need to reapply,pls confirm with others

MarilynC

Feb 9, 2022
Few months back after great consideration and seeing this conversation thread, I finally decided to reapply for my study permit with an already approved study visa to change my DLI. And just recently my study visa was approved again. I had been very anxious throughout but it was all worth the wait. I wanted to come back to this thread and share this. Thank you for all the help!

Reactions: TobyAN and YVR123

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Few months back after great consideration and seeing this conversation thread, I finally decided to reapply for my study permit with an already approved study visa to change my DLI. And just recently my study visa was approved again. I had been very anxious throughout but it was all worth the wait. I wanted to come back to this thread and share this. Thank you for all the help!
Congratulations!

KARTH2405

Oct 27, 2018
I'm making a fresh post as a few people have asked me regarding the new application to change my DLI whilst still outside Canada (not landed). I will post my timelines below:

First Study permit:
  • MSc Computer Science at Bishop's university
  • Applied with my 4 kids
  • Application approved in April 2021 for all of us.
  • Validity on counterfoil and LOI was till March 31st 2023
I decided to switch DLI in May. Lots of emails, calls and back and forth with IRCC on whether I should re-apply or change once in Canada. After loads of research and responses from IRCC, the consensus was that I need to re-apply with my new LOA. I did not need to reapply for my dependents.

Second Study permit

• MSc Computer Science at University of Regina
  • Application submitted: May 23rd 2021.
  • Documents submitted:
    • 1. Required docs like Passport bio page, e-medical sheet for upfront etc
    • A new SOP (just a 1-pager saying why I was changing DLI. Not as comprehensive as the first one).
    • New LOA from uRegina ( I also included other LOAs I had from uVic, Concordia, SFU but I added this in the Client Information section).
    • Updated financial documents (just got new ones from bank).
    • In the client section, I uploaded the LOI letter than was issued to me for my first application and a copy of my counterfoil.
  • I didn't re-submit IELTS, employment letter, transcripts, degrees etc.
I received my PPR on 9th of July. My new LOI was issued today, and passport stamped yesterday. The new validity is September 30th 2023.

If there's anything you need clarity on, or any question you have regarding the re-application, I'll be happy to answer.

@ wonderbly, thanks for sharing, I just wonder when you applied for new study permit " you have answered " NO " for '" Do you have a valid work permit or study permit, and need a visa to return to Canada? "

Idk2

May 19, 2022
hello
If anyone has changed their course before in same DLI entering into Canada, which LOA did you show at POE.Also did you inform IRCC?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
hello
If anyone has changed their course before in same DLI entering into Canada, which LOA did you show at POE.Also did you inform IRCC?
If you are changing just your course (i.e. same DLI) you don't need to inform IRCC. At the border you show the new LOA.

alexgh1707

Jun 27, 2022
What about if I received a passport request but the neither the LOI nor the TRV have been printed. Does that count as an application still in process? The VAC told me that will take like 4 wekks to receive my passport back.

Idk2

May 19, 2022
What about if I received a passport request but the neither the LOI nor the TRV have been printed. Does that count as an application still in process? The VAC told me that will take like 4 wekks to receive my passport back.
You receive LOI after your passport is stamped.