+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY EXPERIENCE: Re-applying for Study Permit to change DLI

AbderraoufDr

Mar 29, 2022
I'm making a fresh post as a few people have asked me regarding the new application to change my DLI whilst still outside Canada (not landed). I will post my timelines below:

First Study permit:
  • MSc Computer Science at Bishop's university
  • Applied with my 4 kids
  • Application approved in April 2021 for all of us.
  • Validity on counterfoil and LOI was till March 31st 2023
I decided to switch DLI in May. Lots of emails, calls and back and forth with IRCC on whether I should re-apply or change once in Canada. After loads of research and responses from IRCC, the consensus was that I need to re-apply with my new LOA. I did not need to reapply for my dependents.

Second Study permit

• MSc Computer Science at University of Regina
  • Application submitted: May 23rd 2021.
  • Documents submitted:
    • 1. Required docs like Passport bio page, e-medical sheet for upfront etc
    • A new SOP (just a 1-pager saying why I was changing DLI. Not as comprehensive as the first one).
    • New LOA from uRegina ( I also included other LOAs I had from uVic, Concordia, SFU but I added this in the Client Information section).
    • Updated financial documents (just got new ones from bank).
    • In the client section, I uploaded the LOI letter than was issued to me for my first application and a copy of my counterfoil.
  • I didn't re-submit IELTS, employment letter, transcripts, degrees etc.
I received my PPR on 9th of July. My new LOI was issued today, and passport stamped yesterday. The new validity is September 30th 2023.

If there's anything you need clarity on, or any question you have regarding the re-application, I'll be happy to answer.
Hello there, I am actually in the same situation so I wanted to ask you some questions, I would be really grateful if you can answer:

- When filling the questionnaire when starting an application they ask do you have a valid study permit, what do you answer? I assume it is a no right?

- Did you submit documents like: application for study permit made outside canada(IMM1294) and the application for temporary resident visa made outside Canada(IMM5257) with your application?

- I assume you don’t need to submit you biometrics again right since they are valid for 10 years?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello there, I am actually in the same situation so I wanted to ask you some questions, I would be really grateful if you can answer:

- When filling the questionnaire when starting an application they ask do you have a valid study permit, what do you answer? I assume it is a no right?

- Did you submit documents like: application for study permit made outside canada(IMM1294) and the application for temporary resident visa made outside Canada(IMM5257) with your application?

- I assume you don’t need to submit you biometrics again right since they are valid for 10 years?
Hi,
The new application would be like your initial one. You have to assume that you have never applied for the SP before, and answer the questions accordingly.

1. You are right - I answered "No".
2. Yes, submitted both forms. If your new SP is granted, both your previously approved study permit AND the TRV will be cancelled.
3. You don't need to do biometrics again as you've said.

AbderraoufDr

Mar 29, 2022
Hi,
The new application would be like your initial one. You have to assume that you have never applied for the SP before, and answer the questions accordingly.

2. Yes, submitted both forms. If your new SP is granted, both your previously approved study permit AND the TRV will be cancelled.
Thank you so much for your answer, I wanted to ask for the sop do we have to write the reason for choosing a different dli or is it okay to just use the old sop?
For me I got accepted in Carleton in January 2022 but I didn’t go and decided not to continue with the program due to problems with my advisor and I have acceptance in Concordia in the fall 2022 so I will be re applying to go to Concordia

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you so much for your answer, I wanted to ask for the sop do we have to write the reason for choosing a different dli or is it okay to just use the old sop?
For me I got accepted in Carleton in January 2022 but I didn’t go and decided not to continue with the program due to problems with my advisor and I have acceptance in Concordia in the fall 2022 so I will be re applying to go to Concordia
Better to write another SOP to motivate for why you are switching DLIs.

NamanMehta936

May 15, 2021
Any idea how much time does it take to get the new / second SP application (due to change in DLI while being outside Canada) processed? Does a previous approval help speed up the process a bit?

NamanMehta936

May 15, 2021
Sorry for posting questions repeatedly. I just found out that I have included a wrong info in my IMM 1294e form. As background, I was issued a study permit approval for Western University. I was then offered a course at University of Toronto. Since I was outside Canada, I had to reapply with a fresh SP application due to change in DLI. However, I just saw that in my second SP application that I’ve submitted 2 weeks back, under IMM 1294e, where it asked under Ques 2C (Background Information), “have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?” I mistakenly answered NO even though I have had a previous study permit approval. To clarify, I have had no refusal in the past.

Having said the above, I did disclose all relevant details in my Study Plan (which I submitted in my second SP application under client info) about my previous study permit approval and explained the rationale for the change in DLI and that IRCC rules required me to reapply with a fresh application. In the study plan, I’ve also included the application no. of my previously approved study permit application for Western University.

I’m not sure what to do now? Can someone please help? Is this a fatal error? Since my application is still in process stage (i.e.,review hasn't started), should I withdraw it due to this error?

Last edited:
Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Sorry for posting questions repeatedly. I just found out that I have included a wrong info in my IMM 1294e form. As background, I was issued a study permit approval for Western University. I was then offered a course at University of Toronto. Since I was outside Canada, I had to reapply with a fresh SP application due to change in DLI. However, I just saw that in my second SP application that I’ve submitted 2 weeks back, under IMM 1294e, where it asked under Ques 2C (Background Information), “have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?” I mistakenly answered NO even though I have had a previous study permit approval. To clarify, I have had no refusal in the past.

Having said the above, I did disclose all relevant details in my Study Plan (which I submitted in my second SP application under client info) about my previous study permit approval and explained the rationale for the change in DLI and that IRCC rules required me to reapply with a fresh application. In the study plan, I’ve also included the application no. of my previously approved study permit application for Western University.

I’m not sure what to do now? Can someone please help? Is this a fatal error? Since my application is still in process stage (i.e.,review hasn't started), should I withdraw it due to this error?
I don't think you have anything to worry about. The officer will understand the oversight since you provided details in your SOP.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Hi,

Why would you answer 'no' to the first question? Isn't the first study permit technically valid even if you haven't used it?

QaziAnwar

Apr 25, 2022
Hello,
1- My daughter got admission for September-2022 session and has received SP for York University, Toronto in CRIMINOLOGY. Now she got another offer from University of Toronto in PSYCHOLOGY & HEALTH SCIENCES. She wants to pursue with UoT instead of York University. Does she need to apply for new SP as it is recommended by many people in this forum? She has not landed in Canada yet.
2- How early she can land in Canada, as I am a work permit holder and returning to Canada in first week of July-22 , can she travel with me?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello,
1- My daughter got admission for September-2022 session and has received SP for York University, Toronto in CRIMINOLOGY. Now she got another offer from University of Toronto in PSYCHOLOGY & HEALTH SCIENCES. She wants to pursue with UoT instead of York University. Does she need to apply for new SP as it is recommended by many people in this forum? She has not landed in Canada yet.
2- How early she can land in Canada, as I am a work permit holder and returning to Canada in first week of July-22 , can she travel with me?
She needs a new SP. She needs to apply and get approved for the second SP before she can travel to Canada.

QaziAnwar

Apr 25, 2022
She needs a new SP. She needs to apply and get approved for the second SP before she can travel to Canada.
Hello,
If my daughter comes to Toronto in July-22 under the study permit for York University in CRIMINOLOGY for the session starting in Sep-22 and if she gets the offer from University of Toronto in PSYCOLOGY & HEALTH SCIENCES in Sep-22 session (As per UoT if still space availble), Can she change the university by applying online change request before even starting her term in YorkU.