+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY EXPERIENCE: Re-applying for Study Permit to change DLI

mmk04

Jan 17, 2022
From what I understood, you had to reapply because you hadn’t landed yet. What if someone has already landed, have their SP and have completed 2 semesters at their original DLI from within Canada? Would they also need to reapply if they’re presently outside Canada?

Last edited:

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
From what I understood, you had to reapply because you hasn’t landed yet. What if someone has already landed, have their SP and have completed 2 semesters at their original DLI from within Canada? Would they also need to reapply if they’re presently outside Canada?
No, as long as your study permit is still valid and you have completed some study time at your original DLI.

Reactions: DesiPikachu

mmk04

Jan 17, 2022
No, as long as your study permit is still valid and you have completed some study time at your original DLI.
Even if I’m presently outside Canada? I spoke to IRCC and they told me I could update DLI online using my GCkey even if I was outside Canada.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Even if I’m presently outside Canada? I spoke to IRCC and they told me I could update DLI online using my GCkey even if I was outside Canada.
When did you leave Canada and how long have you been outside Canada for? You mentioned you were already in Canada and completed 2 semesters. When was this?

Provide the full story.

mmk04

Jan 17, 2022
When did you leave Canada and how long have you been outside Canada for? You mentioned you were already in Canada and completed 2 semesters. When was this?

Provide the full story.
I attended classes for two semesters online 2020-2021 from within Canada (I had step 1 approval in July 2020). I received my Study Permit in the mail in early June 2021 (a virtual landing due to covid-19 because I was already inside Canada). I later left Canada in July to visit my family. I got accepted into the new DLI in August and updated my DLI online after confirming with IRCC agents. I then attended the fall 2021 semester online from outside Canada at the new DLI. Now I plan on re-entering Canada for winter 2022.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I attended classes for two semesters online 2020-2021 from within Canada (I had step 1 approval in July 2020). I received my Study Permit in the mail in early June 2021 (a virtual landing due to covid-19 because I was already inside Canada). I later left Canada in July to visit my family. I got accepted into the new DLI in August and updated my DLI online after confirming with IRCC agents. I then attended the fall 2021 semester online from outside Canada at the new DLI. Now I plan on re-entering Canada for winter 2022.
I think you should be fine.

MarilynC

Feb 9, 2022
I am outside Canada and recently got my study visa approved for May but I now wish to change my dli to a better university that's offering me position for Sept. Both are masters and same type of program. From what I have researched so far, I think reapplying is the only option to change my dli. However, I am advised to not take any chances since my visa has already been approved. I am very worried of any implications in case I apply again. Your post was the only one where I found someone who reapplied even after approval and got approved again. Thanks for sharing!

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I am outside Canada and recently got my study visa approved for May but I now wish to change my dli to a better university that's offering me position for Sept. Both are masters and same type of program. From what I have researched so far, I think reapplying is the only option to change my dli. However, I am advised to not take any chances since my visa has already been approved. I am very worried of any implications in case I apply again. Your post was the only one where I found someone who reapplied even after approval and got approved again. Thanks for sharing!
Don't be worried, if you are applying for a similar program and level at a even better public uni, I am almost certain your visa will be approved again. I cannot emphasise enough how much peace of mind you'll get knowing that you followed the rules, did things right and landed in Canada without any worries.

You'll be fine. Re-apply ASAP :) .

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
People should only be worried if switching to an easier program or changing to a school that is not considered as good as the previous school.

MarilynC

Feb 9, 2022
Don't be worried, if you are applying for a similar program and level at a even better public uni, I am almost certain your visa will be approved again. I cannot emphasise enough how much peace of mind you'll get knowing that you followed the rules, did things right and landed in Canada without any worries.

You'll be fine. Re-apply ASAP :) .
Great! Thankyou so much. Just you sharing this helps a lot:)

MarilynC

Feb 9, 2022
Hi! Sorry for opening the conversation again. But I wanted to ask what all reasons did you give in your SOP for the DLI change? Will my reasons that the uni is higher ranked and more research intensive be enough?