Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2012
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in this forum for a while. I've been finding the Facebook group to be very helpful! I am just wondering how long it took for some of you or your spouses to receive the PPR after the PGR and other documents were sent in? My husband sent his docs on Feb. 26/ 2013. They have to look at his updated Schedule A, PGR and my Right of permanent residence landing fee (we didn't know about this fee at the beginning :( but, have learned that it has been processed!) So, they just have a couple docs to check because they found my hubby's medical! Really hoping and praying we hear something week! It will be 1 year on Thursday! :( :eek:

What has been the average time for PPR? Thanks! :)

Dazz13

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-10-2012
AOR Received.
5-10-2012
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Done....
8-11-2012
Passport Req..
March 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 1st, 2013
LANDED..........
April 17, 2013
Dazz13 said:
I have a serious question to anyone that might be able to answer...but first I have to explain a little:

several months ago my wife's ex husband signed and agreed to the legal documents to allow his children to move to Canada...this part may be irrelevant but...he's a deadbeat dad...sometimes sees his kids every 15 days for a day and a half but normally sends them to his sisters or parents house...he hasnt paid their child care expense $8000 pesos/month in 4 months and is usually late or behind. he has now stated that he wont allow his kids to come to Canada until the school year ends in Mexico...for several reasons we cant wait which will take me quite a while to explain...

if my wife decides to just bring them and not wait until the school year ends...will this be a problem legally?

I appreciate any help I can get!
well...I guess nobody knew how to answer my question...nevertheless, I contacted Immigration and they helped...problem solved!

Dazz13

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-10-2012
AOR Received.
5-10-2012
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Done....
8-11-2012
Passport Req..
March 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 1st, 2013
LANDED..........
April 17, 2013
a question to anyone that can answer....

once you receive your visa to be a permanent resident in Canada there is (apparently) a certain amout on days you must land in Canada...does anyone know how many days it is?

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
mbajouco said:
Hello everyone!!

This is my first post on this site! So, I recently got married in Mexico and will be filing for family sponsorship as soon as we collect all the documents... My wife is currently there.. I've been doing lots of research on the cic and this site... I just need some clarifications on some things..
Sorry, would have replied sooner but my Mom was with me all weekend.

Good idea to read all of the posts in this forum. Keep in mind things change and some of the problems which will seem like a big crisis many pages in will be resolved by the time you get through it all.. so don't lose hope.

I'll take a shot at answering your questions but there's no substitute for reading all of the guides provided by Citizenship and Immigration.

My assumption is you are in Canada and she is in Mexico. In that case, this is where you could start doing the official research...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

You're going to want to check this on a regular basis to ensure you're using the most recent versions of the forms. There was a frustrating period of time in my application where they kept updating the forms one after another while we were ready to sign and submit everything.

Essential reading: Guide to sponsorship [IMM 3900]; Guide to Immigrating [IMM 3999]; Information guide: Latin America [IMM 3908].

IMM 3900 and 3999 are generic and apply to everyone, but 3908 has some more specifics about what your wife needs to prepare as a Mexican sponsored spouse.

Such as besides the actual forms from the cic which documents need to be originals?
The checklists on the page above will tell you which forms to include as originals. I would check here first because

I understand her birth certificate and our marriage certificate need to be translated and authenticated.. But do I need a certified copy of each Mexican document or will a standard copy do?
As per guide 3999 referenced above:

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.

The guide goes on to clarify what it means by "certified copy".

Some people sent a certfied translation with affidavit. Taking this very literally, I sent two things: a.) a translation with affidavit, and b.) a separate certified photocopy of the original document. You'll have to decide for yourself what level of rigor to put into this, balancing the amount of time you spend preparing it up front with the amount of time you may spend resubmitting things in the future.

3.) Also what documents need to be done in person and which can be done by a family member?, as she is going to new York in April...
Not sure about this one. My partner did everything for himself so far.

I also understand that there are a medical and 2 police checks the pgr and ssp that are required... But only are needed once the application has been submitted?
You'll notice with the checklists that you must send the medical with your intial application. As far as I can tell, this can only be done in Mexico City and is only valid for a year - meaning your wife may be asked to do it again if you do it too early and the process takes a long time - or she may have a narrow window to actually emmigrate to Canada.

You can get the SSP police check and submit it with your initial application - but if you do this, I'd recommend the certified translated copy, since Citizenship and Immigration seems very particular about having everything they see in English or French.

As for the PGR police check, you need an official letter from the Embassy to get this. I believe they'll send this letter along with confirmation that they have received your file. Once you get the letter, you'll have a window of XX days to go to the federal PGR office in Mexico City (can't be the state offices throughout the country) - I think this is where you may be able to delegate to a family member.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because the post system in Mexico is notoriously unreliable, a lot of people on the forum have been sending a prepaid FedEx or DHL shipping label to the Embassy so they can send it to you fast and securely. There are two ways to get this prepaid shipping label to them I'm aware of: 1.) Send it via FedEx. and 2.) Scan and send it as an attachment to a case specific enquiry online. When you are approved as a sponsor, Citizenship and Immigration will give you the address/web site information to do these things. I found the easiest way to do this was create an online account with FedEx, create the label and send it as a case specific enquiry attachment.

Does she need to be there for the police checks?
I think she can delegate to family members but am not too sure. The answer is in this forum somewhere...

I believe she can get the medicals done in new York by a certified doctor correct?
Never heard of this happening. But it could be true.

Do the police checks need to be translated?
If you're sending the SSP to Citizenship and Immigration, I'd say yes. The PGR doesn't need to be translated because you will send it directly to the Embassy in Mexico when you get it.

I'm just trying to figure a timeline of documents that are needed... So far I've skimmed thru about the last 300 pages of the Mexico board and have found many useful links and experiences from users...
Keep reading. Treat this like a big project and spend a lot of time reading, researching and asking questions. It's a long wait and I have watched peoples' hearts get crushed when they find out they have to send in more material or correct something. That can add months to the wait and there are already no guarantees of success. (But you will succeed if you are qualified, follow the process correctly and keep your hopes up!)

Thanks in advance!!! I'm sure this won't be the last you hear from me :)
I would be worried if this is the last I hear from you! You will have many more questions.. and we will be here to help. =)

meeshy said:
I posted on Facebook but not here. My partner received his PPR March 1st, We sent the passport just waiting to get it back!!! We have our flight booked for April 10th into toronto! Thank you everyone that has helped us.

Im sure I will be back with more questions about landing and everything!
Congratulations, Meeshy!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is awesome news. =)

Dazz13 said:

once you receive your visa to be a permanent resident in Canada there is (apparently) a certain amout on days you must land in Canada...does anyone know how many days it is?
As far as I can tell, you have until your medical exam's validity expires. I believe it's valid for a year which is why pretty much everyone will advise you to get it as close to submiting the application as possible.

Step 1 of the process - validating the sponsor - is advertised by Citizenship and Immigration as taking 3 months - it seems to take more like 1 month in actual practice. Validating the sponsored spouse takes 5-13 months... so you can see how this could add up to longer than the validity of the medical.

If your medical gets close to expiring, I've heard 2 things which are not necessarily consistent with each other - 1.) Once Citizenship and Immigration gets your medical exam, they have the authority to extend its validity period. In other words, they just need to get it before it expires and it's up to their discretion to extend it or not. And 2.) They may ask you to do the exam AGAIN which is undesirable as it extends the timeline and is uncomfortable. (You have to hold your pee in for several hours and it can be hard waiting.)

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
OhCanadiana said:
If he doesn't wrap up the process before he moves, he can complete it through the Mexican Embassy or Consulate closest to where you live.

Not sure where you'll live, but here's the link from the Mexican Embassy in Ottawa with their requirements: http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40:cartillamilitar&catid=5:principal&Itemid=85
Thanks again, OhCanadiana. I'm following up on this because my hubby just got his precartilla recently and this seems to be the one piece of the puzzle we don't understand as well as we'd like to.

Can someone confirm we've interpreted this correctly?

It seems like the proper process is to notify the military before leaving the country. BUT for those who don't do that, they can notify the Embassy of Mexico in Canada and apply for a liberation certificate which "officially" exuses them from the military service requirements.

This seems pretty straightforward if my spouse gets his permanent residence visa and moves to Canada before October 2013. That's when he's supposed to go pick the black/white ball which determines if he does the service or not.

But if October 2013 rolls around before he gets to Canada, should he go pick the ball? My intuition says yes. But then is it as simple as leaving the country and notifying the Embassy when he gets there or would he have to request permission to leave?

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
Dazz13 said:

You have untill the day before ur Medical expires.
You have to land in canada with a valid Medical.
:)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrandmrsromero said:
Hi everyone. I have been struggling to decide whether to post publicly, but given all the continuing support I've received here since October 2010 I felt it would be unfair to those who have been rooting for us so long just drop out of sight with no explanation.

Mr Romero and I are parting ways. Our marriage in the end did not withstand the very long wait and there is really nothing else to say. The application has been withdrawn.

As I am sure you will appreciate, this is very difficult. But time is the healer, and every day will get better as life goes on.

I wish to thank everyone on the cheering squad who sent so much positivity and encouragement our way. Sometimes things don't turn out as we hope, but often it turns out for the best.

This will be my final post on the forum. I think I've earned my retirement stripes :-*

Best wishes to all.
Your cheering squad will keep rooting for a happy ending to your story, even if it's a different path than we had anticipated.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dazz13 said:

It depends on the date the medical exam was initially performed and the applicant's passport expiration date.

The visa and COPR will be valid for one year* from when the medical exam OR the passport expiration date (the principal applicant and dependent CoPRs will expire the same day).

* If the application processing is completed within 15 months of the initial medical exam and the medical is the only item missing for the CoPR to be issued, the visa officer can request a medical extension for another year. If the extension is granted, then you'll have two years from the medical exam OR passport expiration date.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mbajouco said:
Hello everyone!!
Welcome to the Forum, mbajouco! :)

A few thoughts to build on bttmntl's reply:

bttmntl said:
Some people sent a certfied translation with affidavit. Taking this very literally, I sent two things: a.) a translation with affidavit, and b.) a separate certified photocopy of the original document. You'll have to decide for yourself what level of rigor to put into this, balancing the amount of time you spend preparing it up front with the amount of time you may spend resubmitting things in the future.
If you have the documents translated (and sealed/stamped) by a Perito traductor in Mexico their declaration that they are a sworn translator and their stamp is sufficient 'proof' as an affidavit. They don't need to also go to the Embassy to make a separate the affidavit (as some offer to do), especially if you are applying through the Embassy of Canada in Mexico City since they are familiar with Perito traductores.

mbajouco said:
I also understand that there are a medical and 2 police checks the pgr and ssp that are required... But only are needed once the application has been submitted? Does she need to be there for the police checks? I believe she can get the medicals done in new York by a certified doctor correct? Do the police checks need to be translated?
She should submit the medical exam upfront since this is a family class application; otherwise, you run the risk of the application being returned by CPC-M as incomplete. For the police checks, you need to submit the required police certificates from every country she's lived in for 6 months (or longer) since she turned 18 also with the application with few exceptions (Mexico being one of the exceptions). Instructions for each country are available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp.

The Mexico instructions recently changed so that only the PGR is required (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/mexico.asp). You can only get the PGR certificate with an official request letter so you'll need to manage that process once her application has been submitted. If she's moving to NY, she can reach out the Embassy of Canada in Mexico once she has her file number (will be in your sponsorship approval after step 1) with the requirements listed in the website. I would include a print out of the instructions and include them with your application indicating you'll submit the police certificate per the CIC instructions to avoid any misunderstandings (since Mexico is an exception).

She can get her medical exam performed by any Panel Physician anywhere in the world. Pick the most convenient physician from the list at http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medical.aspx.

Good luck with your application!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
meeshy said:
My partner received his PPR March 1st, We sent the passport just waiting to get it back!!! We have our flight booked for April 10th into toronto! Thank you everyone that has helped us.

Im sure I will be back with more questions about landing and everything
Congratulations!!!

moz77

Sep 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
File Transfer...
29-10-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2013
LANDED..........
18-04-2013
Hi everyone,

Last Thursday we finally received AOR from Mexico after a little over 4 months! :) They asked for the PGR certificate for which we had already sent a UPS prepaid waybill back in February. The email from the embassy says "An official signed letter is being sent to you via UPS mail today.", so I assume they are using our prepaid return label, but the UPS tracking number still shows no activity as of today. Do you know how long it would normally take? I was thinking of contacting them a full week later if the tracking number shows nothing by then, do you think it might be too soon?

Thank you!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moz77 said:
Hi everyone,

Last Thursday we finally received AOR from Mexico after a little over 4 months! :) They asked for the PGR certificate for which we had already sent a UPS prepaid waybill back in February. The email from the embassy says "An official signed letter is being sent to you via UPS mail today.", so I assume they are using our prepaid return label, but the UPS tracking number still shows no activity as of today. Do you know how long it would normally take? I was thinking of contacting them a full week later if the tracking number shows nothing by then, do you think it might be too soon?

Thank you!
That would be fine. In fact, you'll probably have it by then. The package is probably in their outbox and will be shown in the system once UPS scans it, either at pick-up or when it arrives at their depot. Most likely if you check again tonight, the tracking info will be 'active.'

Congrats! How exciting!

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
moz77 said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
Congratulations!!

I think OhCanadiana is probably right about this...

So have you done your military service?

Manere

Dec 5, 2012
Quebec
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3/03/2015
Doc's Request.
4/11/2015
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
File Transfer...
4/05/2015
Med's Done....
23-12-2014
Hi,

Anyone knows if it’s possible get a tourist visa while my documents are processed for spousal sponsorship?

It will help a lot.

Thanks.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manere said:
Hi,

Anyone knows if it's possible get a tourist visa while my documents are processed for spousal sponsorship?

It will help a lot.

Thanks.
It's possible, but the bar is high to prove you won't overstay (since your spouse being in Canada in considered a strong tie, and with your spousal sponsorship application you are confirming your intent to move to Canada).

For a successful case through the Mexico VO, look for itscoezy's old posts - she (finally) got a visa for her husband to attend her sibling's wedding after three appliations.