+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

may 2020 intake (general discussion)

sandhuamrit

Jul 27, 2019
I got my visa dated on march 14 2020.. Is it necessary for us to understand abt the study visa and study permit..? Because the ircc government has said student with study permit before march 18... What do they actually mean??
Hi Rajshree,

I hope you are doing well!!

Just want to add some light on this point. Study visa, is what we get from our respective countries, for travelling to Canada and Once we land in Canada, study permit is issued by the authorities at the airport.

I hope the explanation is clear now .

Please ignore my previous answer.

malumarinhoo

Jan 28, 2020
Hey guys, just a question.. So I contacted Centennial department yesterday asking if May entry would be postpone to September, and they reply saying that my course, among with 23 others will continue with the schedule (with some days of delay) and ONLINE. So I was just thinking, is everyone paying International fees - meaning 8k or so per semester - to have online classes? Like, 8k for online? really?

Vshneo

Mar 30, 2020
I have even this concern and when asking the college they said the course will be conducted online as per the schedule. An online semester for 8k canadian dollars for international student is very inappropriate. My field is all practical based and online education will not be helpful as regular classes.. One can easily study the same courses online with alot less cost. But i have a trust towards country for quality education.
Meanwhile i have applied for study permit of 5 march and gave biometrics on 9th march and since havnt got update...
The country is lockdown by 15th april, so how i am suppose to take classes without study permit ?.
Its a perplexed situation for the international students and have no clear guidelines for us from government.

Drsunmeet Singh

Mar 26, 2020
I have even this concern and when asking the college they said the course will be conducted online as per the schedule. An online semester for 8k canadian dollars for international student is very inappropriate. My field is all practical based and online education will not be helpful as regular classes.. One can easily study the same courses online with alot less cost. But i have a trust towards country for quality education.
Meanwhile i have applied for study permit of 5 march and gave biometrics on 9th march and since havnt got update...
The country is lockdown by 15th april, so how i am suppose to take classes without study permit ?.
Its a perplexed situation for the international students and have no clear guidelines for us from government.
I doubt that dear actually my college sherdian told me that international students must register themselves in Canada in order to start any program which isn't possible without visa so don't worry just ask them for deferment explaining the whole situation it would be better if you can email them

getsthingsdone

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
I have emailed my college and asked them to reduce the fees as an online experience is not the same as a live in-person classroom experience. I'm yet to hear from them. My college is SAIT.

Please email your college and tell them the same. This is totally unfair and especially to international students who pay a significantly higher rate for this education only because it is in Canada and has high standards.

We need to create a petition for this and get thousands of students to sign it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have emailed my college and asked them to reduce the fees as an online experience is not the same as a live in-person classroom experience. I'm yet to hear from them. My college is SAIT.

Please email your college and tell them the same. This is totally unfair and especially to international students who pay a significantly higher rate for this education only because it is in Canada and has high standards.

We need to create a petition for this and get thousands of students to sign it.
My recommendation is not to study online or from your home country if you are a new student unless IRCC clarifies that it is OK to do so without impacting your PGWP.

As the rules stand today, you must complete your studies under a valid study permit in order to qualify for a PGWP. And you cannot get a valid study permit without first traveling to Canada. Your studies also cannot be online. They must be in person / in the classroom.

If someone is just starting their studies now, I would defer your studies rather than starting from your home country without a valid study permit and studying online. Right now IRCC hasn't announced any exceptions to the PGWP rules due to COVID-19. The schools do not control these rules. If there is going to be a change to the PGWP rules, this is something IRCC has to announce.

Anyway - just my two cents.

Reactions: Meet577

getsthingsdone

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
My recommendation is not to study online or from your home country if you are a new student unless IRCC clarifies that it is OK to do so without impacting your PGWP.

As the rules stand today, you must complete your studies under a valid study permit in order to qualify for a PGWP. And you cannot get a valid study permit without first traveling to Canada. Your studies also cannot be online. They must be in person / in the classroom.

If someone is just starting their studies now, I would defer your studies rather than starting from your home country without a valid study permit and studying online. Right now IRCC hasn't announced any exceptions to the PGWP rules due to COVID-19. The schools do not control these rules. If there is going to be a change to the PGWP rules, this is something IRCC has to announce.

Anyway - just my two cents.
My college(SAIT) has confirmed that studying online from my home country will not impact the PGWP in any way. They mentioned that IRCC will consider this special circumstance. I have not seen any literature from IRCC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My college(SAIT) has confirmed that studying online from my home country will not impact the PGWP in any way. They mentioned that IRCC will consider this special circumstance. I have not seen any literature from IRCC.
Don't trust this information and the school shouldn't be saying this to you. They have no control over IRCC rules. And to date, IRCC has announced no exceptions to the PGWP rules due to COVID-19. I think it's sad that the school is providing students with bad information when nothing has been officially announced by IRCC. Looks like they are just after your money. Sad again.

Reactions: Vshneo

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That can happen but right now the rule you must have full time on campus course not even part time or distance education
Agreed. No announcements at this time. It's not official until IRCC makes the announcement.

getsthingsdone

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
Don't trust this information and the school shouldn't be saying this to you. They have no control over IRCC rules. And to date, IRCC has announced no exceptions to the PGWP rules due to COVID-19. I think it's sad that the school is providing students with bad information when nothing has been officially announced by IRCC. Looks like they are just after your money. Sad again.
Well, SAIT is a govt institution. Anyway, I am waiting for an official update from IRCC. I want to see it on their website. As they are the authorities for final permit issuance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well, SAIT is a govt institution. Anyway, I am waiting for an official update from IRCC. I want to see it on their website. As they are the authorities for final permit issuance.
SAIT is a public institution - not a government institution. These are two different things. Regardless, IRCC makes the rules - not the schools. Definitely wait until an official IRCC announcement before starting your studies.

Reactions: Vshneo

sandhuamrit

Jul 27, 2019
There is an update regarding PGWP on the IRCC website ...Please check the link for more details

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html

International students
If you’re an international student who has a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020, you are exempt from the travel restrictions.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check conducted by airlines before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

If your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, your eligibility for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program won’t be affected.

Kdsad

Feb 27, 2020
Hey guys, just a question.. So I contacted Centennial department yesterday asking if May entry would be postpone to September, and they reply saying that my course, among with 23 others will continue with the schedule (with some days of delay) and ONLINE. So I was just thinking, is everyone paying International fees - meaning 8k or so per semester - to have online classes? Like, 8k for online? really?
What’s your course?