+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving and re-entering Canada before PR card arrives?

etoile

Star Member
Aug 22, 2010
Switzerland-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
So we just received my husband's passport with the visa inserted today. We were planning to flagpole, import our car from the USA, and visit my parents in the USA next week, BUT my husband has to return to his country (Switzerland) for business on May 29th. He will NOT have his PR card with him before he must travel. Will he be allowed to enter the country without it? From what I have read, he will not. Should he land when returning from Switzerland instead? He only has two hours in Montréal (arriving from Zürich) before having to board his onward flight to Halifax, is this enough time to land? This is a really stressful process. They couldn't make it more bloody bureaucratic if they tried...

Rinnerz

Apr 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2010
AOR Received.
14-12-2010
File Transfer...
09-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2011
LANDED..........
02-08-2011
I'm not really sure if 2 hours is enough time to land. I think it depends on how active/busy that particular airport is.

But either way... if your husband holds a Switzerland passport, he is visa-exempt. Plenty of visa-exempt, brand new PRs on this board have been able to return to Canada without their PR card. Being visa exempt plus having the PR visa in his passport, plus the COPR, should be sufficient.

TheHal

Star Member
Sep 21, 2010
London/St. Thomas for now...
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss -->Buff -->Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Interview........
none so far...
Passport Req..
03-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 6th
LANDED..........
Will land 06 june
Usually from Visa exempt european countries it will actually depend on the gate agent at the airport you're traveling from!! I almost got stopped coming over for a work permit once in Amsterdam, as the KLM gate agent stated that my confirmation was not good enough, I actually needed "the work permit issued". I had to sign a waiver to board...

Anyways, should have no problems other than the gate agen.

CHeers
Hal.

Rinnerz

Apr 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2010
AOR Received.
14-12-2010
File Transfer...
09-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2011
LANDED..........
02-08-2011
TheHal said:
Usually from Visa exempt european countries it will actually depend on the gate agent at the airport you're traveling from!! I almost got stopped coming over for a work permit once in Amsterdam, as the KLM gate agent stated that my confirmation was not good enough, I actually needed "the work permit issued". I had to sign a waiver to board...

Anyways, should have no problems other than the gate agen.

CHeers
Hal.
Well, to be fair, you were saying you were going for a work permit that you didn't actually have on you. And you didn't have a PR visa counterfoil in your passport nor a COPR.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re-entering Canada by a PR should be with PR Card. Copy of the COPR is not a valid travel document. (Please see the note on the COPR ) Instead, if a travel wish to re-enter from other country without a PR card should obtain a Travel Document from the Canadian embassy from where he is traveling to Canada. Perhaps if he is re-entering by road from USA he may be allowed depending the mood of the CBSA officer at the boarder.

If the flight is on time, two hours time at Montreal would be enough to board the connecting flight.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wilson said:
Re-entering Canada by a PR should be with PR Card. Copy of the COPR is not a valid travel document. (Please see the note on the COPR ) Instead, if a travel wish to re-enter from other country without a PR card should obtain a Travel Document from the Canadian embassy from where he is traveling to Canada. Perhaps if he is re-entering by road from USA he may be allowed depending the mood of the CBSA officer at the boarder.

If the flight is on time, two hours time at Montreal would be enough to board the connecting flight.
Yes but the OP's husband is from a visa exempt country. He is NOT eligible for a Travel Document because he doesn't NEED one. He can re-enter Canada without his PR card on the strength of his own passport. He must advise the officer at the POE that he is a PR, show his COPR and tell them he is waiting to receive his PR card. He will be allowed re-entry.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Once again as I mentioned in a previous thread from personal experience I had absolutely no problems entering with only landing papers. We left on vacation before the card had arrived. Checking in on our way back he was asked if he lived in Canada and showed his landing papers with no further questions. Entering Canada we showed the paper with passport, explained the card had not arrived and he said welcome home, no further questions.

Another poster had the exact same experience flying in a day later from vacation.

Like I've said before why would it be more difficult to enter Canada than it was before coming a PR? (Obtaining a travel doc versus being able to enter on the strength of passport alone?)

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
Thanks for your post rjessome. I am in the exact same situation - landing mid of July but need to travel home to Austria in summer due to some family issues that need to be resolved.

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@rjessome

What about people that are NOT from visa Exempt countries but have a 5 year multiple entry TRV before landing.

Is the 5 year multiple entry TRV cancelled at the time of landing or could it be used to get on a plane to Canada and upon arrival at POE tell officer one is a PR and show the copy of the COPR? or does one really need to get a travel doc ?

Thanks

etoile

Star Member
Aug 22, 2010
Switzerland-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
wilson said:

I did look at the form for the "travel document", none of the questions seem applicable to him. It's a really strange form and it seems to be for Canadian permanent residents who never bothered applying for/never received their PR card and went back to their home country. It has many questions about how long you've been a PR and residency and it doesn't make sense at all. Since he will have only been a PR for about a week, the questions don't really add up or make sense for his situation. :S

He is from a visa exempt country (Switzerland) and it doesn't make sense that he can't travel. It's not for pleasure, it's business and he also needs to un-inscribe himself from Switzerland as a resident and from his health insurance. To do this they need proof that he has his visa (landing papers). This is such a mess.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
etoile said:
I did look at the form for the "travel document", none of the questions seem applicable to him. It's a really strange form and it seems to be for Canadian permanent residents who never bothered applying for/never received their PR card and went back to their home country. It has many questions about how long you've been a PR and residency and it doesn't make sense at all. Since he will have only been a PR for about a week, the questions don't really add up or make sense for his situation. :S

He is from a visa exempt country (Switzerland) and it doesn't make sense that he can't travel. It's not for pleasure, it's business and he also needs to un-inscribe himself from Switzerland as a resident and from his health insurance. To do this they need proof that he has his visa (landing papers). This is such a mess.
Did you not read my post? He doesn't need a travel document. He can travel. Read what both kelkel and I wrote.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Huron said:
@ rjessome

What about people that are NOT from visa Exempt countries but have a 5 year multiple entry TRV before landing.

Is the 5 year multiple entry TRV cancelled at the time of landing or could it be used to get on a plane to Canada and upon arrival at POE tell officer one is a PR and show the copy of the COPR? or does one really need to get a travel doc ?
Yes, people from non-vsa exempt countries need a Travel Document if they do not have the PR card. The TRV is made null by the PR visa.

etoile

Star Member
Aug 22, 2010
Switzerland-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
rjessome said:
Did you not read my post? He doesn't need a travel document. He can travel. Read what both kelkel and I wrote.
I read what you both wrote and I am glad that there seems to be no problems with PRs without their PR cards entering Canada successfully, however, it is not what is stated on the immigration website. It says that if you cross by land into Canada it will not be a problem BUT, if you are coming by air they want you to have this "travel document". My issue is I can't seem to get a clear answer from CIC or the embassy. I just don't want my husband to be refused entry or boarding and be able to come home. :(

etoile

Star Member
Aug 22, 2010
Switzerland-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Okay this is what I found on the Paris embassy's website:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/visas/retour_au_canada-return_to_canada.aspx?lang=eng

"Since December 31st, 2003, ONLY valid Permanent Resident (PR) Cards are acceptable for permanent residents returning to Canada.

If you do not have the required document, you must apply for a Travel Document. After you return to Canada with a Travel Document, you must apply for a Permanent Resident Card (if you have not already done so) before leaving the country again."

However, it would mean my husband travelling to Paris... which is impossible. I can't believe that they would make you go through this.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/visas/retour_au-return_to_Canada_Europe.aspx?lang=eng

"These applications may be submitted by mail or presented in person from Monday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., except on holidays.
The Embassy reserves the right to request a personal interview or any other document it deems necessary.

The fee is for the processing of the application and cannot be refunded even if the application is refused.

Your passport will be returned to you by registered mail, unless you submit your application in person.

Processing times : depending on the season, the processing of an application for a travel document may take from two to three weeks once the complete application is received. Urgent applications submitted in person are generally processed the same day.

In most cases, a Travel Document can be issued only if you demonstrate that you have complied with the residency obligation. BEFORE submitting an application, please read the information about maintaining permanent resident status."

So, once again, very unclear. Of course he hasn't met the residency requirement, he will have only been a PR for a week! We will risk it. We will bring the documentation and show them how it was basically impossible to procure a travel document in the time frame available. Keep everything crossed.

Kaycee1

Jan 17, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor Approved 24-02-2011
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
Med's Request
In process 20-05-2011
Med's Done....
26-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-06-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-11
LANDED..........
14-08-11
If he's able to leave and re-enter Canada on some other way (is he on a work visa now? Or just here as a visitor?) couldn't he delay his landing until after his business trip, just come and go as he has in the past then do your flagpoling when he gets home? Would that work?