+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Label documents in citizenship application

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
Guys,

Can I put a cover letter states all documents that are included with the application and label documents with numbers so the documents will not mixed up when officer open the envelop and also make it easier for him to go through the documents.

Did anyone try this?

Thanks

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Travel Dream said:
Guys,

Can I put a cover letter states all documents that are included with the application and label documents with numbers so the documents will not mixed up when officer open the envelop and also make it easier for him to go through the documents.

Did anyone try this?

Thanks
Do you think CIC employees are retarded? Do you think hey need labels and list of docs included, when these people do this for living and deal with thousands of applications?
By the way, what documents you plan to attach that you feel labels and content description are nedeed?

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
era1521 said:
Do you think CIC employees are retarded? Do you think hey need labels and list of docs included, when these people do this for living and deal with thousands of applications?
By the way, what documents you plan to attach that you feel labels and content description are nedeed?
Actually when I sent my application for PR the application returned back and they mention I forget to include a photocopy of my wife's passport. when I opened the file I found my wife's passport in the file. So the second time (after 4 months ) I made a label for each document with number and a cover letter indicate the document name and corresponding number to it. It went smoothly.

I will not include any extra documents. My point is that the pdf application in last September was changed by deleting "provide work record" when they realized that all applicants provide work documents and this cause I think a lot of overload to them so this indicate they do not need extra documents. Even if I already prepared a lot of extra documents like passport stamps and work records I will not sent any of those. I will follow the instruction guide.

I am asking did anyone do the same in citizenship. I want to follow the guide but with my experience in PR I want to make my file looks easy by adding labels

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Travel Dream said:
Guys,

Did anyone try this?

Thanks
Its good idea to organize the documents in sequential manner so that it makes the cic agent's life easy and better outcome for you.
In my case, I sticked sticky label on every set of documents to show what exactly i am attaching and currently my application is in process.

Examples:

1st sticky label:
cover letter.
application form cit 0002

2nd sticky label:
Biographical pages of passports held in past 4 years

3rd sticky label:
language proof
name of degree included
transcripts

4th sticky label:
two pieces of ID
passport photocopy
health card photcopy

and so on................................

toonca

Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I used checklist and sticky labels in both PR and citizenship application.
Tried to make things sorted out, clear. Just don't make it complex. Make things easier will helps, just imagine if you face a messy package, and a well organized package, the latter one will definitely make you in good mood.

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
thecoolguysam said:
Its good idea to organize the documents in sequential manner so that it makes the cic agent's life easy and better outcome for you.
In my case, I sticked sticky label on every set of documents to show what exactly i am attaching and currently my application is in process.

Examples:

1st sticky label:
cover letter.

2nd sticky label:

3rd sticky label:
language proof
name of degree included
transcripts

4th sticky label:
two pieces of ID
passport photocopy
health card photcopy

In addition to the sticky label, I numbered all the pages of the application and on the footer of each page I signed/dated Page 1 of 35 , .........Page 16 of 35 , ..........Page 35 of 35.

As CIC agents don't provide feedback on the presentation of our application, I would suggest to use common sense and do as you see fit.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Travel Dream said:
Actually when I sent my application for PR the application returned back and they mention I forget to include a photocopy of my wife's passport. when I opened the file I found my wife's passport in the file. So the second time (after 4 months ) I made a label for each document with number and a cover letter indicate the document name and corresponding number to it. It went smoothly.

I will not include any extra documents. My point is that the pdf application in last September was changed by deleting "provide work record" when they realized that all applicants provide work documents and this cause I think a lot of overload to them so this indicate they do not need extra documents. Even if I already prepared a lot of extra documents like passport stamps and work records I will not sent any of those. I will follow the instruction guide.

I am asking did anyone do the same in citizenship. I want to follow the guide but with my experience in PR I want to make my file looks easy by adding labels
Now I understand your fear and I don't try to be malicious, but I really believe the documents required for citizenship application are fairly limited and easy to handle.
I had my application with wife and minor child and I never thought the documents I sent would imply any confusion to the person assessing it.
You can do whatever you feel its right for your application; as you can also notice from other's comments the options are limitless - you can even go beyond labels. Who cares, as long as achieve the scope.

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Isn't there a checklist form that comes with every application? It serves as a separator from every applicant. And while they have sent it back, CIC already have stamped and organized the application for you. Just follow what was told on the letter from CIC and mail it back. There's not a lot of forms and requirements for each application that will make it so confusing, unless you're submitting a thesis of documents ;).

Sisifo

Nov 5, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had a cover letter and i also printed on coloured paper,separator pages based on the checklist for each of my applicants ( Me, Spouce, Kids ), and clearly titled what it was.
eg Photocopy of Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292) Person A, etc
It certainly isn't asked for but i did this to ensure that there could be no mistakes made by CIC that i had missed something they asked for especially since i had 2 copies of my passport. One for passport copy and the other as proof of id.
End of the day it was my application and i did what i thought was best for me. in my opinion i was making the life of the CIC agent easier when processing my files by clearly labeling what i had submitted.

SerenityNow

Aug 10, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did not use a cover letter, but I did use labels to make it easier (faster) to sort through pages. I wanted to minimize the number of passes through the documents and minimize the time spent on each page to determine if our application was complete.

I used 3"x3" sticky labels to "clip" the documents together for each applicant. Place at the top of the pages like a paper clip with the sticky part on the side so it sticks to the first and last page. On each label, I wrote the applicant's name and "Adult" or "Minor". I suppose you could use real paper clips, but I don't usually stock those. I always have the sticky labels (light weight and don't add bulk).

For each applicant, the order of the documents followed the order in the checklist (except for the photos). They probably use the same checklist, so why change the order?

On some pages, I just wrote in blue ink at the top of the page what it was if it wasn't a standard document (for language evidence, but not for COPR) or if multiple items were on the same page (current and expired passports).

For 2 kids, we sent records for 5 academic years to cover 4 years of residency. That was over 80 pages of school records since each adult application had a copy. I used the sticky labels to "clip" the pages by child and year. Labels were "Education Records - Child Name" or "Child Name - 2011-2012".

Using this method, I added no additional pages.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
SerenityNow said:
I did not use a cover letter, but I did use labels to make it easier (faster) to sort through pages. I wanted to minimize the number of passes through the documents and minimize the time spent on each page to determine if our application was complete.

I used 3"x3" sticky labels to "clip" the documents together for each applicant. Place at the top of the pages like a paper clip with the sticky part on the side so it sticks to the first and last page. On each label, I wrote the applicant's name and "Adult" or "Minor". I suppose you could use real paper clips, but I don't usually stock those. I always have the sticky labels (light weight and don't add bulk).

For each applicant, the order of the documents followed the order in the checklist (except for the photos). They probably use the same checklist, so why change the order?

On some pages, I just wrote in blue ink at the top of the page what it was if it wasn't a standard document (for language evidence, but not for COPR) or if multiple items were on the same page (current and expired passports).

For 2 kids, we sent records for 5 academic years to cover 4 years of residency. That was over 80 pages of school records since each adult application had a copy. I used the sticky labels to "clip" the pages by child and year. Labels were "Education Records - Child Name" or "Child Name - 2011-2012".

Using this method, I added no additional pages.
80 pages ??? What education record did you support?
for each child I think they need an index card, report card and attendance letter? is there any thing els

zafari

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb-2012
thecoolguysam said:

Examples:

1st sticky label:
cover letter.

2nd sticky label:

3rd sticky label:
language proof
name of degree included
transcripts

4th sticky label:
two pieces of ID
passport photocopy
health card photcopy

Good idea, I will follow it on this weekend while organizing my application & docs

can we staple or sth? to avoid mess-up application form pages or passport copies together?

Jabuela

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
I think your reply is so mean, the person didn't say that they think CIC employees are retarded in fact even if they do it for living wouldn't you think if everyone organized their papers it would be easy, and faster for the officers to look through the application to verify the information provided. wouldn't that make it less time for process, in fact its a brilliant idea I think everyone should do it. this might help cut down the processing time just by itself. who agrees with me

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Jabuela said:
I think your reply is so mean, the person didn't say that they think CIC employees are retarded in fact even if they do it for living wouldn't you think if everyone organized their papers it would be easy, and faster for the officers to look through the application to verify the information provided. wouldn't that make it less time for process, in fact its a brilliant idea I think everyone should do it. this might help cut down the processing time just by itself. who agrees with me
I dont agree; is that ok with you? What is so mean in my answer? I never heard an application returned for a missing document that in fact was in the package.
Apparently it happened to the thread initiator.
I applied myself for two PR renewal, one PR application (i was already in canada when PR was introduced in 2002), I had two citizenship applications and never got any returned. Do you think I labeled the documents?