+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Label documents in citizenship application

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
Travel Dream said:
Guys,

Can I put a cover letter states all documents that are included with the application and label documents with numbers so the documents will not mixed up when officer open the envelop and also make it easier for him to go through the documents.

Did anyone try this?

Thanks
I included a cover letter with my application and listed the document in order that was in the package

Ray

SerenityNow

Aug 10, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Travel Dream said:
80 pages ??? What education record did you support?
for each child I think they need an index card, report card and attendance letter? is there any thing els
I don't know what you mean by an index card.

The schools gave me copies of their report cards that included grades and attendance by class. For 1 child in 1 academic year, this could take up to 5 pages. These documents did have the signature of the principal.

5 pages * 5 academic years * 2 children * 2 copies = 100

I sent 5 academic years because 4 academic years covered 3 1/2 years of residency.

I sent 2 copies because each adult application requires a set.

Jabuela

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
I dont agree; is that ok with you? What is so mean in my answer? I never heard an application returned for a missing document that in fact was in the package.
Apparently it happened to the thread initiator.
I applied myself for two PR renewal, one PR application (i was already in canada when PR was introduced in 2002), I had two citizenship applications and never got any returned. Do you think I labeled the documents?
its ok if you don't agree, that's your opinion, but let me tell u, to go back and read what the thread initiator was asking, it looks like you didn't understand his question. he didn't send any application yet, he was asking if it was ok to label his documents to make it easier for the officer not to misplace things and know what is what at 1st glance.
you might not faced the delay in any of your applications but there are others who have been waiting for years for their citizenship. the thread initiator didn't do any mistake and he was at the right path, and I assure you his application will be processed faster, who wouldn't want to work on an application that's ready and easy, all I would do look at the label and know page 4 is work history. if you think labeling is a waste of time why is there page number in books, applications....etc. to make it easy to find things, there you go....
stop discouraging and start encouraging change. change to the better

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
SerenityNow said:

I sent 2 copies because each adult application requires a set.
That is not true!
If you send one package as family application you do not need to send two set of child (children) education records. One for both is enough.
The family application is treated as "one" application; if one of adults, for instance, needs RQ or FP, the other one will get the process halt. Both will attend same test date/interview and if one fails, the other will wait before moving to next stage (i.e. Oath).

SerenityNow

Aug 10, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
That is not true!
If you send one package as family application you do not need to send two set of child (children) education records. One for both is enough.
The family application is treated as "one" application; if one of adults, for instance, needs RQ or FP, the other one will get the process halt. Both will attend same test date/interview and if one fails, the other will wait before moving to next stage (i.e. Oath).
1) I planned to mail our applications separately, but in the end, they were sent together.

2) I did not see in the official documentation that 1 set of education records was sufficient for a family application. I followed the document checklist per applicant.

3) I can afford to print out 2 sets of copies to avoid having it returned.

4) If the applications were returned for not having that second set, my older child would have needed to apply as an adult.

5) Relax.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
SerenityNow said:
1) I planned to mail our applications separately, but in the end, they were sent together.

2) I did not see in the official documentation that 1 set of education records was sufficient for a family application. I followed the document checklist per applicant.

3) I can afford to print out 2 sets of copies to avoid having it returned.

4) If the applications were returned for not having that second set, my older child would have needed to apply as an adult.

5) Relax.
I'm totally relaxed, dont worry.
I sent my application for two adults and my child with only one set of child education records. That was not because I was cheap on getting another xerox copy.
Everything was completed in less than 5 mts.

Let me ask you something else; I used 1 copy of my passport for the requirement of current passport and also for one of the IDs. Should I have sent two copies of same passport for that matter?

You're right when say you followed the checklist for each person; what I want to point out is that these CIC people working on citizenship files are not retarded when check an application package for compliance.

SerenityNow

Aug 10, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
I sent my application for two adults and my child with only one set of child education records. That was not because I was cheap on getting another xerox copy.

Let me ask you something else; I used 1 copy of my passport for the requirement of current passport and also for one of the IDs. Should I have sent two copies of same passport for that matter?

You're right when say you followed the checklist for each person; what I want to point out is that these CIC people working on citizenship files are not retarded when check an application package for compliance.
I would not have sent 2 copies of the same passport for a single applicant.

By sending the 2nd set of records, both adult applications are complete without having to refer to the other application. My goal was to make it easier for them to review. In no way was I making a statement on their mental capacity. Do people do that to you?

If they saw the 2nd set of papers marked "Education Records" and threw them out, that's fine by me, but I wasn't going to risk it.

Our applications were in 2 separate envelopes with 1 adult application on its own. At the post office, I decided to put the envelopes in the same courier envelope. We received 2 AORs in separate mailings. At that point, I wasn't sure our applications were together, but in the end, they were.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
SerenityNow said:

Our applications were in 2 separate envelopes with 1 adult application on its own. At the post office, I decided to put the envelopes in the same courier envelope. We received 2 AORs in separate mailings. At that point, I wasn't sure our applications were together, but in the end, they were.
That make sense in your case.

Anyway

SerenityNow said:
In no way was I making a statement on their mental capacity. Do people do that to you?

not sure if you should put it this way, but i can put like this; for example if I am an IT expert-certified-recognized, for the sake of argument - i would be a microsoft guru and someone comes to me an tells me that I can create a table if i use excel; honestly i would feel insulted.

Thats what I believe CIC people think when they get a package spiked with color labels and cover letter describing the content.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
zafari said:
Good idea, I will follow it on this weekend while organizing my application & docs

can we staple or sth? to avoid mess-up application form pages or passport copies together?
Don't staple but use soft paper clip instead. make sure you put photos in an envelope and no way should the paper clip or anything scratch the photos. keep them safe

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
It does not really matter whether you label the papers or not. Its not a requirement. However, with labelling, it will make life of the agent easier. Also, by organizing the documents, you will make sure you don't miss anything. If you don't label anything, the cic agent will have to organize the paperwork to make sure it is complete.

With my personal experience, i have labelled everything to ensure that I don't miss anything and it looks more organized to the cic agent/officer working on the application. I applied in mid of december and now i have test scheduled by end of April.

Jabuela

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:

Can you stop using the word " retarded" do u even know what does it mean. Stop stop there No one thinks that anyone is retarded here nor no one is trying to make a fool of CIC officers.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Jabuela said:
Can you stop using the word " retarded" do u even know what does it mean. Stop stop there No one thinks that anyone is retarded here nor no one is trying to make a fool of CIC officers.
Enlighten me with the meaning of the word "retarded" in the metaphoric way. I'd imagine you know what "metaphoric" does it mean.
Did you label your application? All the way, with cover letter and numbered pages?

Jabuela

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
Enlighten me with the meaning of the word "retarded" in the metaphoric way. I'd imagine you know what "metaphoric" does it mean.
Did you label your application? All the way, with cover letter and numbered pages?
I think I can enlighten u with the meaning that if you even know what u r talking about. yes I organized my documents labelled them my way that's why I became a citizen before u did in less than a year. stop the I know everything and ur negativity.

betoherman

Star Member
Apr 10, 2015
era1521 said:
Do you think CIC employees are retarded? Do you think hey need labels and list of docs included, when these people do this for living and deal with thousands of applications?
By the way, what documents you plan to attach that you feel labels and content description are nedeed?
At least they seem like they dont do their job properly. I applied 3 times. The second time the officer I think got confussed with the English proof and Education transcripts. So my application was returned. So the third time I put labels with very big fonts to make sure they would read them. I just changed the dates on my application and a cover letter explaining the difference between both documents. (Thing they should know). And then My application got accepted. So if you think they are not. At least they dont do their job properly.
Cheers

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
betoherman said:
At least they seem like they dont do their job properly. I applied 3 times. The second time the officer I think got confussed with the English proof and Education transcripts. So my application was returned. So the third time I put labels with very big fonts to make sure they would read them. I just changed the dates on my application and a cover letter explaining the difference between both documents. (Thing they should know). And then My application got accepted. So if you think they are not. At least they dont do their job properly.
Cheers
Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that; i just wasn't that "lucky" neither any of my friends I know applied in the last 2-3 yrs (20-25 individuals)
Why was returned first time?

Anyway, good luck with application, at least you're on the right track now.