+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ despite all documents submitted with citizenship application

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
alphazip said:
And, yet, we read stories in this forum on a daily basis of applicants who have their applications returned (or receive a letter), due to items supposedly missing that were not missing (e.g., http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t182757.0.html). Of course, mistakes happen, but to say that there are not lazy or incompetent workers in the public service is a bit unrealistic.
Plus one Alphazip

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jmak said:
This is very good news!

My mother received the RQ earlier this week. We all live in Montreal. Her file was transferred to the Guy Favreau office. Is it the same office for your application?

Can you give us any advice on how to fill out the RQ and the documents needed to get attached? Did you send any extra documents to help?
Hi I dont remember anymore about the RQ documentations but is is all listed in the paper (house rentals, medical records,t4, NOA, organization if any, school records, marriage certificates, diplomas, transcript, passport copies etc etc) ;D I actually throw all my documents right after took my passport. but i remember its a bunch documents,

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Prospective Canuck said:
Our experience may prove of interest to this community.

My wife and I both had received RQs when we applied for new permanent residence cards. Although it took more than a year to process, the cards were finally issued. (The fact that we were demonstrably, model, “squeaky clean” applicants goes beyond the issue, as citizenship officers do have the good faith prerogative to issue RQs)

When my wife applied for citizenship, attached to her CIT0002E application and its required documentation, SHE VOLUNTARILY SUBMITTED A SEPARATE, COMPLETED AND SIGNED RQ FORM, AND GERMANE, SUPPORTIVE DOCUMENTATION (vis-à-vis a “dump”). THE RQ PACKAGE WAS CONSPICUOUSLY LABELLED "VOLUNTARILY SUBMITTED", HIGHLIGHTED, AND SEPARATED FROM, BUT ATTACHED TO THE CIT0002E FORM AND ITS SUPPORTIVE DOCUMENTATION PACKAGE.

HER WELL-FOUNDED PESSIMISTIC PRECAUTIONS NOTWITHSTANDING, AT THE TIME OF THE AOR, A CITIZENSHIP OFFICER SENT HER AN RQ FORM, WITH INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOCUMENTATION (ALL OF WHICH HAD ALREADY BEEN IN THE POSSESSION OF THE CIC!) Correspondence from the CIC's Ministerial Officer later later confirmed that CPC-S had in fact received the RQ, with required documentation, along with the initial citizenship application!

“Operational Bulletin 407-D states, in pertinent part:

It is worth noting that:
• The Residence Questionnaire (RQ) only requests documents that cover the applicant's relevant period
• The officials must only take recourse to the Residence Questionnaire (RQ) on rare occasions,
where they cannot obtain the information otherwise
• The officials can resolve most cases that have minor residence issues easily without requiring a Residence Questionnaire (RQ)

As mentioned above, the local office must only issue the Residence Questionnaire (RQ) to applicants as a measure of last resort. Therefore, the local office would only do this when they cannot obtain the information otherwise.

Query:

Demonstrably, the officer that sent the knee-jerk RQ didn't even open my wife's case file, for if he/she had, then he/she would have realised that such documentation was already in the possession of the CIC.

The dreaded RQ is not to be issued without a good faith belief that certain information or documentation is needed, in order to process a case file.

To issue the RQ, without even so much as a cursory review of the case file, must be the very definition of malice, for once issued the case file is punitively relegated to languish in some dimly lit back room, possibly not to be reviewed until after the errant citizenship officer has been retired, or promoted!

An investigation should ensue, for the issue is reflective of major systemic problems.

I will probably file an ATIP request, in order to determine, if CPC-S had generated a CIT 0508, as well as if other required case file preparatory measures had been undertaken.

When in doubt, follow instructions. Otherwise, when CIC officers don't follow their own instructions, follow your own instinct, or even that of a an immigration lawyer, renowned or
"unrenowned"!

Where is Albert Camus, when we need him the most?
I am sorry to know that. I have seen people in this forum who submitted RQ paperwork (may be not complete but some documents) with the initial application, still got RQ'ed again. I think there might be some internal CIC process of sending RQ even though the person has already submitted required RQ documents in the initial application.

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So it's not the issue of sending extra docs will help rather the questionable diligence of the processing officers. I find that 'statistical study' insufficient. As i know from 60 individuals who took the oath with me, i'm the only one active in this forum from that group.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Juney.....

did u mean the 59 others were not even members online here? Or did u mean members but not posting or using this forum that much?

Maly

May 2, 2010
whiz said:
I'm confident I met all requirements and my application is 110% complete, but I'm not confident CIC have the tendency to believe so. By default, every immigrant is considered a liar, and it takes ALOT of work, hurdles and hassle from the immigrant to prove otherwise. We've seen thousands of examples about people who are actively contributing to Canada, they have decent jobs, bought houses, their children grew in Canada and the only way they got their citizenship was by suing CIC. I'm sick of this carrot-and-stick system.
I have a lot of sympathy for all those who struggle with the nebulous concept and erratic application of RQ standards. Although the written instructions are supposed to be clear enough, general experience across the land shows that the entire process of Citizenship and Immigration assessment is embroiled in subjectivity, fluctuating interpretations and varying degrees diligence. It is primed to drive even honest applicants to speculation, nervousness and innovation. Come on, let us accept it. Most of us have taken a huge challenge relocating to a new country with the eventual goal of acquiring Citizenship in an advanced country. Therefore, anxiety and anticipation is natural. Anger and frustration at the process is a natural byproduct. After all, many applicants have brought in funds, talent and experience to the country, found jobs with great effort and paid honest taxes by the time they citizenship application was filed. One is bound to feel disturbed. Although the country has placed immigration as a key priority for the future of nation building, the political and administrative behavior on the ground is not entirely in alignment with the lofty statements. Part of the problem is Govt's consistent apathy towards making the system itself. Inconsistent orientation, education and attitude among the personnel handling our cases are probably a tip of the problem. I really can't figure out why it is so difficult for a first-world and developed nation to improve the system from years of stagnation and complex vortex. I saw some commentators writing about triage criteria, segregation of roles etc etc. But what is the point if CIC is bent on preserving the ambiguity around the process for its own benefit. Someone told me that the entire idea of creating backlog and complications is geared towards preserving continuity of jobs for their own staff. I am not sure about the veracity of the claim but it just leads one to speculate. I don't envy the role of immigration officials in the context of scams and security threats, but these can be fixed without having to create smoke and mirror show. If the Govt can sort out the RQ or bring in a transparent process, it can go a long way towards alleviating the uncertainty.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Maly said:
I have a lot of sympathy for all those who struggle with the nebulous concept and erratic application of RQ standards. Although the written instructions are supposed to be clear enough, general experience across the land shows that the entire process of Citizenship and Immigration assessment is embroiled in subjectivity, fluctuating interpretations and varying degrees diligence. It is primed to drive even honest applicants to speculation, nervousness and innovation. Come on, let us accept it. Most of us have taken a huge challenge relocating to a new country with the eventual goal of acquiring Citizenship in an advanced country. Therefore, anxiety and anticipation is natural. Anger and frustration at the process is a natural byproduct. After all, many applicants have brought in funds, talent and experience to the country, found jobs with great effort and paid honest taxes by the time they citizenship application was filed. One is bound to feel disturbed. Although the country has placed immigration as a key priority for the future of nation building, the political and administrative behavior on the ground is not entirely in alignment with the lofty statements. Part of the problem is Govt's consistent apathy towards making the system itself. Inconsistent orientation, education and attitude among the personnel handling our cases are probably a tip of the problem. I really can't figure out why it is so difficult for a first-world and developed nation to improve the system from years of stagnation and complex vortex. I saw some commentators writing about triage criteria, segregation of roles etc etc. But what is the point if CIC is bent on preserving the ambiguity around the process for its own benefit. Someone told me that the entire idea of creating backlog and complications is geared towards preserving continuity of jobs for their own staff. I am not sure about the veracity of the claim but it just leads one to speculate. I don't envy the role of immigration officials in the context of scams and security threats, but these can be fixed without having to create smoke and mirror show. If the Govt can sort out the RQ or bring in a transparent process, it can go a long way towards alleviating the uncertainty.
Plus one for you

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Unfortunately, CIC is using RQ as an excuse just to delay & drag the process up to 3 years.

I had used an attorney to file my citizenship application. In greed NOT to lose business, he submitted my application with 60 days short.

If you dont mind, can you please share your details of your friend's attorney.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Hi

My application with CIC since January 2012... RQ in March 2013
Responded in April 2013 Since no news only know that my file
is assigned to Officer in November 2014. ( 18 months from receiving the
documents they have assigned to Officer ) now officer is reviewing my file
for 130 days... not need test due to my age... hope the officer
will review and finish my matter soon.... anyone have any idea how long
the officer will take to review once assigned to officer.

have done all what I can do : contacted several time MP, Minister, Atip report,
case management center, and calling CIC every week.