+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Spousal Sponsorship - December 2018

Cris1989

Oct 21, 2018
Toronto
App. Filed.......
13-12-2018
To my knowledge, only form IMM5669 needs to be signed both electronically and in writing. You can find that information in your checklist (IMM5533):
"IMPORTANT: for this form to be accepted as part of a paper application, each person required to complete it must: a) type their name in the signature box at the bottom, b) validate the form, c) print out the validated form, and d) sign in writing (i.e. providing a handwritten signature) next to the typewritten name in the signature box."

I believe all the other forms need to have a handwritten signature - hopefully someone else can confirm.

That's correct. Only IMM5669 needs to be signed electronically and in writing as per instructions on the Checklist Page 3 Number 9.

PowerfulCanada

Jan 28, 2019
Just posting an update for my situation to everyone.

My application was sent back to me on February 22nd and I only just received it today on March 5th. I listed some possible reasons to everyone, those being outdated forms or missed hand-signatures in areas where they ask for electronic signaturrs. Turns out it was only the signatures. They didn't care that my forms were a little outdated. Two forms that I electronically signed but didn't hand sign were the cause for my app being sent back. They flagged this for the IMM0008 and the IMM5669, but not for the open work permit form IMM5710 even though it was the same situation.

This bothers me because I checked rather intensely and can't find anywhere that specifically states we needed to hand-sign those in addition to electronically signing them. If we needed that, why even allow us to e-sign them in the first place? This is almost intentionally misleading. If someone can point me to where it says that, it would be appreciated.

This also worries me because I fell out of my original visitor status after it was sent back and before I received it. I applied for a visitor extension by paper a month before my status expired and its form IMM5708 has an electronic signature on it too, which I signed but didn't hand sign. Will this result in that being returned too? If so that will mean I'm out of status and have to apply to restore.

I can't believe my situation is this much of a mess all because of misleading signature requirements.

I'm so sorry for your situation. But @CAN-AL2018 is right, the requirement is stated on both the checklist and the guide (IMM5525 - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html)

I'm not sure how the application to extend your visitor visa works, but double check the application package to make sure you didn't have to do a signature by hand. If you did, try to anticipate yourself by contacting them and sending the updated document

Good luck

Aurora9

Jan 16, 2019
I see in the google document you have already received your paperwork in the mail for the OWP?
Yes, I got an email on 1 March and got OWP paper by mail on 4 March.
But my cic account status is not changed still "submitted"
I think I got OWP paper faster because I live in Edmonton.
As you know the office is in Edmonton

Last edited:

SoulBrotha

Feb 26, 2019
I found where it states that I need to have double-signed it. Thank you all for pointing it out, big mistake on my part.

However, it does not state this for form 0008 and IRCC also marked not having a signature there as a reason it was sent back. It would appear that even if I did sign 5669, the agent reviewing my app would have sent it back for not doing that one.

I've looked all over the visitor extension form for any mention of a hand signature and see nothing. I will keep checking though. I am also calling IRCC to see if they have record of that

CAN-AL2018

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
I found where it states that I need to have double-signed it. Thank you all for pointing it out, big mistake on my part.

However, it does not state this for form 0008 and IRCC also marked not having a signature there as a reason it was sent back. It would appear that even if I did sign 5669, the agent reviewing my app would have sent it back for not doing that one.

I've looked all over the visitor extension form for any mention of a hand signature and see nothing. I will keep checking though. I am also calling IRCC to see if they have record of that
Did you sign IMM0008 by hand or electronically?

SoulBrotha

Feb 26, 2019
Did you sign IMM0008 by hand or electronically?
Electronically. There is a part where it asks to print our names, which I did, but they want a hand-written signature next to the electronic one even though that isn't stated on the checklist or the form from where I can tell

CAN-AL2018

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Electronically. There is a part where it asks to print our names, which I did, but they want a hand-written signature next to the electronic one even though that isn't stated on the checklist or the form from where I can tell
So, I think that on every form, where it asks to sign and date at the very end, they are looking for a handwritten signature. With the exception of form IMM5669, where it clearly states that you have to electronically fill the signature space with a typewritten signature AND, after it's been printed, sign it by hand as well.

On form IMM0008, you do have to fill in your name on the last page ("I, (first name, last name)_____ on behalf (...)") but there is a signature box where you have to sign by hand at the bottom of that page.

Reactions: PowerfulCanada

SoulBrotha

Feb 26, 2019
So, I think that on every form, where it asks to sign and date at the very end, they are looking for a handwritten signature. With the exception of form IMM5669, where it clearly states that you have to electronically fill the signature space with a typewritten signature AND, after it's been printed, sign it by hand as well.

On form IMM0008, you do have to fill in your name on the last page ("I, (first name, last name)_____ on behalf (...)") but there is a signature box where you have to sign by hand at the bottom of that page.
Then I am puzzled why they did not flag my open work permit form IMM5710 even though I don't have a hand-written signature there either. This is making me think my visitor extension might be sent back since I didn't hand sign 5708. That will put me out of status

CAN-AL2018

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Then I am puzzled why they did not flag my open work permit form IMM5710 even though I don't have a hand-written signature there either. This is making me think my visitor extension might be sent back since I didn't hand sign 5708. That will put me out of status
I'm not sure how detailed of a review they go through with the OWP if they know that the application is being sent back because of the PR app.
As @PowerfulCanada suggested earlier, you can try to send a Webform with the updated (signed by hand) IMM5708 and hope they consider this version when they process your application (I have not seen a similar situation on the forum, so not sure what your chances are on this). If the visitor extension does get returned and you are out of status, although not an ideal situation because you won't be able to get OWP, you can apply for restoration of status and your PR application will still be processed.

Reactions: PowerfulCanada

SoulBrotha

Feb 26, 2019
I'm not sure how detailed of a review they go through with the OWP if they know that the application is being sent back because of the PR app.
As @PowerfulCanada suggested earlier, you can try to send a Webform with the updated (signed by hand) IMM5708 and hope they consider this version when they process your application (I have not seen a similar situation on the forum, so not sure what your chances are on this). If the visitor extension does get returned and you are out of status, although not an ideal situation because you won't be able to get OWP, you can apply for restoration of status and your PR application will still be processed.
The agent I spoke to told me that if I reapply for PR + OWP, the OWP processing will be held off until they get word of my status being restored.

They don't have record of my visitor extension yet, and apparently this is normal processing time. But I think I will try that method. So now my options are to assume my visitor extension request will be sent back and spend $200 to restore, or wait until I receive word of it. And if I do wait, it will all be for nothing if my extension is sent back after all.

This is probably the worst turn of events, for something so little.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all of your help.

CAN-AL2018

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Now, I am pretty sure I have seen someone in the November group get their OWP just like everyone else after having submitted their PR+OWP application while they were on implied status from a visitor extension (@Geno.uss ?). So, with the current pace of getting OWP approved in about 3 months and if you very recently sent your visitor extension, it's not impossible that you could receive your OWP before they even process your visitor extension application.

SoulBrotha

Feb 26, 2019
Now, I am pretty sure I have seen someone in the November group get their OWP just like everyone else after having submitted their PR+OWP application while they were on implied status from a visitor extension (@Geno.uss ?). So, with the current pace of getting OWP approved in about 3 months and if you very recently sent your visitor extension, it's not impossible that you could receive your OWP before they even process your visitor extension application.
I sent the extension at the end of January. I'll look to resend my PR + OWP application soon

arorahemant81

Star Member
Jul 2, 2018
I applied on Dec 19. My app is returned today. Whereas I called twice to IRCC and they told me that your application is in system as potential applicant and don’t worry your application wouldn’t be returned and you are under implied status once your TRV status is expired. I hope this won’t happen with you or someone else. They returned my application for a stupid reason after 2 and half months
Sorry to hear.. we applied on 31st Dec, I had been told that our application is waiting to be processed and is not entered in our system. it is normal and prospective application and should get the acknowledgement shortly.
Now we are worried what they mean and do for prospective application. My wife 6 months entry is expiring on 10th may. :(

PowerfulCanada

Jan 28, 2019
Sorry to hear.. we applied on 31st Dec, I had been told that our application is waiting to be processed and is not entered in our system. it is normal and prospective application and should get the acknowledgement shortly.
Now we are worried what they mean and do for prospective application. My wife 6 months entry is expiring on 10th may. :(
Don't worry, you have plenty of time. It should take took long now. They won't take an extra 2 months to process your application, you should be hearing from them in less than 2 weeks

Reactions: arorahemant81