Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
homeland2014 said:
Hi everyone,
I went to Service Ontario (at 47 sheppard avenue E branch) today to get my health card. The whole process went by smoothly without any hiccups.
Documents required: They asked for my OWP. I took my passport and Drivers License as proof of identity and proof of residency. I was not required to provide them with any other documents.

Wait period: As per Service Ontario, I established residency in Canada the day my OWP was issued (5th Jan 2015). There is a 3-month wait period for the health card which starts from the date you establish residency in canada (day OWP was issued).

Other tips: Not all Service ontario locations issue health cards for OWP holders.Call OHIP (1-866-532-3161) or check the location details online before you head out to make sure which location near you provides this service.

Another helpful resource if you are being denied OHIP, which clearly states OWP case type 27 are eligible for OHIP Look under what immigration documents... http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx
great information! thanks for confirming it IS possible to get OHIP with the OWP. I'm sure that will be a relief to so many people.

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
sent with app - app received Sept 18, 2013
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
V --> M OWP received Jan 9th (pilot program)
Med's Request
AIP Feb 25/2015 & DM FEB 27/2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
Guanaquito said:
Oh boy!! Haven't been here for a while, Where Where are the AIP for those september applicants? Looks like CIC is dead, long vacations or what ??? nobody is working in our apps :-\ the turtle is sleeping :D
Its 2015 come on!! This situation is starting to breaking me down.
I just want to see movements
Me too.

but for what its worth, a ton of people have gotten OWP's under the pilot and surprisingly, we've seen a handful of DM's... so that's encouraging...

hankbuster

Oct 3, 2012
My wife landed in Edmonton today so I thought share some detail information how the process go (for those who are landing in Edmonton)

1. CIC Edmonton office is located in Canada Place 2nd floor, accessing it you must go to the SOUTH elevator that is next the the escalator going down to the food court.

2. I would suggest you to get the photo right at the Canada Place photo shop for your PR, Because the CIC officer literally take a overlay over your photo make sure your face is right proportion to the photo size. I have heard people who gotten done else where in Edmonton had to re-do them because it didn't match exactly.

3. Go early and line up! Our appointment was 9am to 10am, it is first come first serve, we got there at 8:30 and line up started already with about 7-8 family in front of us.

4. When you get to the office, there is a possibility that there is TWO line up. One is for PR, the other one is for Citizenship swear in ceremony. make sure you line up at the right line. There are a LOT more citizenship swear in people vs the PR interview landing people.

5. This line up will determine when you will be picked for the interview. You will be lead to a counter area where an agent takes the letter they sent you about the appointment and check your photo if it match the size or not. Afterwards you are ask again to go wait outside by the waiting seats and someone will call you by name for the landing interview.

6. They weren't kidding about the 2.5 hour wait time....... we got their by 8:30 am and didn't see the agent till 11:00 am. But the process might be straight for some family which takes 10 mins (like my family), but I seen some family inside as long as 30 to 40 mins due to some complication (The agent say sometime the info on the computer is different, then they have to attempt to change it and it can take a while for everything go right.

7. The agent will ask you the same questions everyone heard by conversation, have you commit crime, deported, rejected at the border or dependent is not declared. Once you answer those question she will print out the landing paper and you'll have to initial the "No" appear on the paper and sign and date the paper.

8. Agent at this point will give you a copy of landing paper and explaining your right as a PR and she stated that we need to wait for the PR card 6-8 weeks then apply for SIN.

9. I thought i heard people got their SIN with just landing paper and passport so despite what the CIC agent said, I went to Service Canada on the first floor and was able to get a permanent SIN number for my wife no problem with just the landing paper and passport. However the Service Canada agent explain that sometime their system doesn't connect properly and he couldn't access those who just became PR. But in my wife's case there were no problems.

Hope this helps!

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
ATr said:
I was on student visa when I applied. I applied 4 months after coming here. In the meanwhile I didn't go to university and canceled my admission as I got married and wanted to spend time with my husband. We wrote in our application that am not going to uni in British Columbia and will stay in Ontario with my husband.
Do u think we can rectify this problem?
Well the good news is that you were honest so hopefully they see that it wasn't your intention to out think them.. But I honestly don't know what you can do from here. I know you were considering going to school in Ontario so maybe start that process? Have some evidences that you were, and are fully intending on getting Canadian education? You might want to check with your consultant or maybe senior members might have some suggestions for you. Good luck and keep us updated!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
ATr said:
I was on student visa when I applied. I applied 4 months after coming here. In the meanwhile I didn't go to university and canceled my admission as I got married and wanted to spend time with my husband. We wrote in our application that am not going to uni in British Columbia and will stay in Ontario with my husband.
How long has it been since you got married and filed? If you didn't actually go to school, your status as a 'student' is null and void. If it has been more than 90 days (sounds like it definitely has) then you are technically out of status. This won't affect your application itself, but it will affect your ability to qualify under the new pilot OWP program.

Good luck.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
How long has it been since you got married and filed? If you didn't actually go to school, your status as a 'student' is null and void. If it has been more than 90 days (sounds like it definitely has) then you are technically out of status. This won't affect your application itself, but it will affect your ability to qualify under the new pilot OWP program.

Good luck.
I recall a thread earlier in the year where the person was in a similar situation. One of the very senior members here indicated that even though the person was no longer attending school, they still had legal status for the duration of the study permit.

*shrug*

ATr

Oct 30, 2014
Alurra71 said:

Good luck.
I got applied in August 2013 and got AIP in November 2014. Applied work permit on dec 6 2014. But the problem is that my file opus transferred for further assessment to Etobicoke because I didn't study. To which am asking the solution.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ATr said:
Ignore my previous post (above, replying to Alurra71), because it looks like the rules have been changed as of June 1, 2014:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp

Before:
International students who have completed their studies but hold valid study permits can remain legally in Canada until the expiration of their study permit.

After:
A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada.

This would certainly seem to apply to students that voluntarily ceased their studies. You very well could be in Canada without status now.

ATr

Oct 30, 2014
Ponga said:
Ignore my previous post (above, replying to Alurra71), because it looks like the rules have been changed as of June 1, 2014:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp

Before:
International students who have completed their studies but hold valid study permits can remain legally in Canada until the expiration of their study permit.

After:
A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada.

This would certainly seem to apply to students that voluntarily ceased their studies. You very well could be in Canada without status now.
Thankyou ponga. But what about their remarks. They have problem that I didnot at all study on study permit

TorontoCouple

Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Interview........
15-01-2015
LANDED..........
15-01-2015
Hank, thanks for this great summary. I'll note back the differences with our landing in Etobicoke on Friday.

Glad to hear you were able to get a SIN easily!

hankbuster said:
My wife landed in Edmonton today so I thought share some detail information how the process go (for those who are landing in Edmonton)

1. CIC Edmonton office is located in Canada Place 2nd floor, accessing it you must go to the SOUTH elevator that is next the the escalator going down to the food court.

2. I would suggest you to get the photo right at the Canada Place photo shop for your PR, Because the CIC officer literally take a overlay over your photo make sure your face is right proportion to the photo size. I have heard people who gotten done else where in Edmonton had to re-do them because it didn't match exactly.

3. Go early and line up! Our appointment was 9am to 10am, it is first come first serve, we got there at 8:30 and line up started already with about 7-8 family in front of us.

4. When you get to the office, there is a possibility that there is TWO line up. One is for PR, the other one is for Citizenship swear in ceremony. make sure you line up at the right line. There are a LOT more citizenship swear in people vs the PR interview landing people.

5. This line up will determine when you will be picked for the interview. You will be lead to a counter area where an agent takes the letter they sent you about the appointment and check your photo if it match the size or not. Afterwards you are ask again to go wait outside by the waiting seats and someone will call you by name for the landing interview.

6. They weren't kidding about the 2.5 hour wait time....... we got their by 8:30 am and didn't see the agent till 11:00 am. But the process might be straight for some family which takes 10 mins (like my family), but I seen some family inside as long as 30 to 40 mins due to some complication (The agent say sometime the info on the computer is different, then they have to attempt to change it and it can take a while for everything go right.

7. The agent will ask you the same questions everyone heard by conversation, have you commit crime, deported, rejected at the border or dependent is not declared. Once you answer those question she will print out the landing paper and you'll have to initial the "No" appear on the paper and sign and date the paper.

8. Agent at this point will give you a copy of landing paper and explaining your right as a PR and she stated that we need to wait for the PR card 6-8 weeks then apply for SIN.

9. I thought i heard people got their SIN with just landing paper and passport so despite what the CIC agent said, I went to Service Canada on the first floor and was able to get a permanent SIN number for my wife no problem with just the landing paper and passport. However the Service Canada agent explain that sometime their system doesn't connect properly and he couldn't access those who just became PR. But in my wife's case there were no problems.

Hope this helps!

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
hankbuster said:

Hope this helps!
I landed in Calgary and had exactly the same process. The agent I saw alsobsaid that Iwill have to wait for PR card for SIN. But following advice from the forum members I went to service Canada (in the same building) and got my SIN by just showing the confirmation paper.

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
linxord said:
I landed in Calgary and had exactly the same process. The agent I saw alsobsaid that Iwill have to wait for PR card for SIN. But following advice from the forum members I went to service Canada (in the same building) and got my SIN by just showing the confirmation paper.
Thanks linxord ! And also thanks to hankbuster for sharing , hopefully PR card process don't go into at backlog at this landing pace , and hopefully we all get the card before the 6 weeks mark , even thou it doesn't matter as much as get to the landing date . I think cic will be landing all 2013 applicants before March , fingers crossed !

ALEJOMOR

Nov 20, 2014
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-02-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
Tilikun said:
Thanks linxord ! And also thanks to hankbuster for sharing , hopefully PR card process don't go into at backlog at this landing pace , and hopefully we all get the card before the 6 weeks mark , even thou it doesn't matter as much as get to the landing date . I think cic will be landing all 2013 applicants before March , fingers crossed !
Hopefully you're right! I hope that all the 2013 (SEPT, OCT, NOV & DEC) applicants get AIP before March. I'm a 2014 applicant.

ALEJOMOR

Nov 20, 2014
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-02-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
hankbuster said:

Hope this helps!
Congrats to both of you! How long did you wait for the whole process?

nurse2012

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2013
AOR Received.
Aug 24, 2013
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
Jan 19, 2015
hankbuster said:

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your information. My appointment is 8:00-11:00. My home is far from the office. I'm worried what if the line up is too long that I can't get my turn before 11:00.

What did you bring with you for the interview?