+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2013

Sept 11 2013

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Just wanna Share to my fellow inlanders

Sponsored Spouses See Growing Wait Times For Processing
28-07-2014

The federal government recently announced an increase in processing times for spousal sponsorship applications, causing concern for foreign spouses both within and outside of Canada.

Foreign nationals who marry a Canadian have the opportunity to become a permanent resident in Canada through the spousal sponsorship process, which can be applied for while already temporarily in Canada or from abroad. Most couples choose to apply for spousal sponsorship while both spouses are inside Canada in order to avoid what could be a lengthy time apart awaiting processing from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

What was previously a roughly six month processing time for spousal sponsorship applications from within Canada has almost doubled to 11 months. The processing time for couples outside the country varies depending on the consulate to which they apply, but wait times of two years are common. For applicants who apply to the Canadian consulate in Islamabad, Pakistan, the wait times can exceed 32 months.

While couples who apply while one partner is outside of Canada are forced to endure long periods of time apart while awaiting a decision from CIC, couples who apply using the inland route face a host of other issues.

Couples in this position are often required to live off of one income, as foreign spouses are ineligible for a Canadian work permit while their spousal sponsorship applications are being processed. Similarly, spouses awaiting processing are also not entitled to Canada’s universal health care coverage, requiring them to obtain private insurance. These individuals are also unable to leave Canada to return to their home country, even briefly, as leaving Canada would constitute an abandonment of their sponsorship application.

With the only options being living apart from their husband or wife for a long period of time or living without health care or the ability to work in Canada, foreign nationals are forced to make difficult decisions when planning to apply for spousal sponsorship. CIC clearly prefers outland applications, and said that “it is always in the client’s best interests to apply abroad.” The long wait times and headaches created by the Canadian spousal sponsorship process seem somewhat contradictory to the emphasis that the Canadian immigration system places on family reunification.

For more information on Canada's spousal sponsorship process, click here.

FWCanada is a Montreal-based immigration law firm that provides professional legal services on Canadian immigration. For more tips and updates on Canadian immigration follow FWCanada on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sept 11 2013 said:

28-07-2014

The federal government recently announced an increase in processing times for spousal sponsorship applications, causing concern for foreign spouses both within and outside of Canada.

Foreign nationals who marry a Canadian have the opportunity to become a permanent resident in Canada through the spousal sponsorship process, which can be applied for while already temporarily in Canada or from abroad. Most couples choose to apply for spousal sponsorship while both spouses are inside Canada in order to avoid what could be a lengthy time apart awaiting processing from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

What was previously a roughly six month processing time for spousal sponsorship applications from within Canada has almost doubled to 11 months. The processing time for couples outside the country varies depending on the consulate to which they apply, but wait times of two years are common. For applicants who apply to the Canadian consulate in Islamabad, Pakistan, the wait times can exceed 32 months.

While couples who apply while one partner is outside of Canada are forced to endure long periods of time apart while awaiting a decision from CIC, couples who apply using the inland route face a host of other issues.

Couples in this position are often required to live off of one income, as foreign spouses are ineligible for a Canadian work permit while their spousal sponsorship applications are being processed. Similarly, spouses awaiting processing are also not entitled to Canada's universal health care coverage, requiring them to obtain private insurance. These individuals are also unable to leave Canada to return to their home country, even briefly, as leaving Canada would constitute an abandonment of their sponsorship application.

With the only options being living apart from their husband or wife for a long period of time or living without health care or the ability to work in Canada, foreign nationals are forced to make difficult decisions when planning to apply for spousal sponsorship. CIC clearly prefers outland applications, and said that “it is always in the client's best interests to apply abroad.” The long wait times and headaches created by the Canadian spousal sponsorship process seem somewhat contradictory to the emphasis that the Canadian immigration system places on family reunification.

FWCanada is a Montreal-based immigration law firm that provides professional legal services on Canadian immigration. For more tips and updates on Canadian immigration follow FWCanada on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.
Canada is the ONLY advanced country in the Western world that treat inland foreign spouses as such. NONE, yes, no other country does the same thing to hurt its own citizens like how they do it here in Canada. Our politicians just don't care and don't feel ashame about this at all.

Nobody in government who have the power to change feel ashame, feel the needs to rectify this. Spouses of Canadian citizens CANNOT work until a year later or longer, yet they allow foreign spouses of foreigners WORK upon entry. Foreign spouses must live in limbo, live with a stressful thinking of being deported, working out of status as there is no confirmation on their implied working right. This is crazy. What is the mandate of CIC? To protect its own citizens or to bring in cheap labour?Huh

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
sent with app - app received Sept 18, 2013
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
V --> M OWP received Jan 9th (pilot program)
Med's Request
AIP Feb 25/2015 & DM FEB 27/2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
Alurra71 said:
Would her employer be willing to do the LMO process with her? If she is that valuable they might very well consider it and it could be started a couple months before her PGWP expires. That should give CIC time to either get her OWP to her, or for them to receive the LMO information, in either case, keep her working. She can't do the babysitting job because she would be 'displacing' another employee and taking their job. That is a definite no no and an outright definition for 'under the table' working. You wouldn't want her to suddenly be excluded from Canada after all the work you've put into this and she obviously has put in between her marriage with you and her schooling.
I dont know anything about the LMO process? is that a visa? is it a way to apply for PR? is there a difference betwen LMO and LMIA? or are they the same thing.
I'm sure her manager at her school doesnt have a clue how LMO's work but i'm also sure that they WOULD do an LMO for her if we covered the costs

If her school files a LMO and it is approved, would she then have to apply for a work permit once she can show that her school has approved her to work with their LMO being accepted? what kind of work permit would she need to apply for?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
bankerguy said:
I dont know anything about the LMO process? is that a visa? is it a way to apply for PR?
I'm sure her manager at her school doesnt have a clue but i'm also sure that they WOULD do an LMO for her if we covered the costs
No, no, the LMO is a way that a company can hire someone that is NOT Canadian and doesn't necessarily have the proper working permit. I THINK this process costs close to roughly 1K though. What it entails is dependent on each job description but basically it requires the employer to 'prove' that the person they wish to hire is the best person for the job, that a Canadian can't do the job or doesn't hold the proper credentials to do the job and a few other things. I have not personally used the LMO process, however, I have seen it used to help ensure the current employee occupying the job keeps the job.

You could start the search here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp and maybe print some things off for your wife to give to her bosses'. I don't know if it's the right option for you, but at minimum it is worth looking into if her job is that important to her.

Best of luck to you!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Sept 11 2013 said:

28-07-2014

Couples in this position are often required to live off of one income, as foreign spouses are ineligible for a Canadian work permit while their spousal sponsorship applications are being processed. Similarly, spouses awaiting processing are also not entitled to Canada's universal health care coverage, requiring them to obtain private insurance. These individuals are also unable to leave Canada to return to their home country, even briefly, as leaving Canada would constitute an abandonment of their sponsorship application.

With the only options being living apart from their husband or wife for a long period of time or living without health care or the ability to work in Canada, foreign nationals are forced to make difficult decisions when planning to apply for spousal sponsorship. CIC clearly prefers outland applications, and said that “it is always in the client's best interests to apply abroad.” The long wait times and headaches created by the Canadian spousal sponsorship process seem somewhat contradictory to the emphasis that the Canadian immigration system places on family reunification.

Could you please cite a link that the FWCanada law firm say in the first line "federal government recently announced an increase in processing time....". I like to see an actual statement from CIC on the issue of longer processing time. If this first statement is based on CIC website processing timeline then that is not an official statement. It is an approximation of the total processing time based on past performance on previous completed applications.

This post is nothing but free advertising from FW Canada law firm made by your posting.

Screech339

Sept 11 2013

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
screech339 said:
Could you please cite a link that the FWCanada law firm say in the first line "federal government recently announced an increase in processing time....". I like to see an actual statement from CIC on the issue of longer processing time. If this first statement is based on CIC website processing timeline then that is not an official statement. It is an approximation of the total processing time based on past performance on previous completed applications.

This post is nothing but free advertising from FW Canada law firm made by your posting.

Screech339
http://www.canadianimmigration.net/news/sponsored-spouses-see-growing-wait-times-for-processing.html

i just found that in twitter CIC CANADA

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Sept 11 2013 said:
http://www.canadianimmigration.net/news/sponsored-spouses-see-growing-wait-times-for-processing.html

i just found that in twitter CIC CANADA
This is the link for CIC Canada on twitter .... https://twitter.com/CitImmCanada

The link you posted heads right back to the FWCanada website, which is unrelated to CIC. I think that is what Screech was referring to. This is not an acknowledgement from CIC that processing times are up. It is merely an article posted on a immigration website.

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Some bedtime reading about implied status and IEC, for those who are interested.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Implied_Status_after_an_IEC_Work_Permit_ends

TL;DR: No, you do not get implied status when your IEC ends, regardless of whether or not you've applied for anything else. The only thing you can get implied status for is implied status as a visitor. That link cites all the CIC guidelines that back up that statement.

Sept 11 2013

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Alurra71 said:
This is the link for CIC Canada on twitter .... https://twitter.com/CitImmCanada

The link you posted heads right back to the FWCanada website, which is unrelated to CIC. I think that is what Screech was referring to. This is not an acknowledgement from CIC that processing times are up. It is merely an article posted on a immigration website.
i think it is base on what we experience right now. 6 months goin to 12 months. and no update at all!!!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Sept 11 2013 said:
i think it is base on what we experience right now. 6 months goin to 12 months. and no update at all!!!
I agree that it is based only on the updated processing time from 6 months to 12 for 1st stage. However the website stated that federal government recently made announcement which is fault. There was no official announcement from CIC or federal government on the subject matter. That is a ploy on the law firm's to use "the processing timeline" as recent federal gov announcement.

They want to take advantage of the impatience of applicants and take their money. Lawyers or anyone else for that matter has no effect on the whole timeline or help speed up individual's application at CIC. They would like to imply that it will get done quicker if you used them without saying a single word. Once they got your money, they can say, we have no bearing or influence in how CIC process your application except maybe if it is pass the expected timeline in which it would cost you even more to write a letter to CIC asking them to find out what's going on.

Screech339

silenced25

Apr 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2013
I'm basically at a crossroads on if I should take my application and move it to Outland instead. I'm a U.S. applicant and apparantly the timeframe there from AOR to DM is about 7 months. I'm already 9 months into my inland application though, and I am trying to do whatever will allow me to work quickest. Basically, i know no one can say for sure but.... There's no reason it should take 7 more months for CIC-M to get to october applicants right? If i hang in through the slowdown for 3 even 4 more months until stage 1 (open work permit), it's still better than the 7 months an outland application would take. Should I keep the faith and hang in with inland or go the outland route? What would you guys do if in my situation?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
silenced25 said:
I'm basically at a crossroads on if I should take my application and move it to Outland instead. I'm a U.S. applicant and apparantly the timeframe there from AOR to DM is about 7 months. I'm already 9 months into my inland application though, and I am trying to do whatever will allow me to work quickest. Basically, i know no one can say for sure but.... There's no reason it should take 7 more months for CIC-M to get to october applicants right? If i hang in through the slowdown for 3 even 4 more months until stage 1 (open work permit), it's still better than the 7 months an outland application would take. Should I keep the faith and hang in with inland or go the outland route? What would you guys do if in my situation?
It's hard to say, because you haven't shared more information (such as your status in Canada and when it would expire if you withdraw your Inland application AND OWP). If your OWP was giving you implied status, then there's no reason to withdraw your application, because you would then be in Canada without status.

Personally, I think you should just sit tight. If you did withdraw your application, you'd have to get a new FBI PCC, and possibly redo your medical.

lounge

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hi all, am filling background/declaration form now, and under personal history section, i was unemployed at a point and i wrote unemployed under activity. What will i put under "status in the country" and "Name of facilities as applicable". Although i put Not applicable under company/ facilities, am i right?
Thanks all

silenced25

Apr 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2013
Ponga said:
It's hard to say, because you haven't shared more information (such as your status in Canada and when it would expire if you withdraw your Inland application AND OWP). If your OWP was giving you implied status, then there's no reason to withdraw your application, because you would then be in Canada without status.

Personally, I think you should just sit tight. If you did withdraw your application, you'd have to get a new FBI PCC, and possibly redo your medical.
Well i'm not sure what page it's on in this thread, but I basically was told by peers on here that I am pretty much without status in canada anyways. I sent my application before my study permit expired thinking i had implied status, but they sent it back requesting my OWP application to be put with it, apparently this killed my implied status. I have not done FBI or medical yet as I read on here that it is not requested until after stage 1. Basically all that is done right now is I have applied for Permanent Residence Inland through my common law relationship, OWP application was sent with it and fees for the residence app + OWP have been paid. It was all received (the 2nd time) on October 3rd, 2013.

*edit*
To clarify on having no status currently. Yes it did make me freak out, as stated in a post a few weeks ago when I was told this. But a senior member on this forum told me that A) you do not need status as it does not affect your inland application and B) they are still honoring an old law where they will not come after you if you have a residence application in process. I am just hoping for this all to be true and accurate as i really have no other options.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
silenced25 said:
Well i'm not sure what page it's on in this thread, but I basically was told by peers on here that I am pretty much without status in canada anyways. I sent my application before my study permit expired thinking i had implied status, but they sent it back requesting my OWP application to be put with it, apparently this killed my implied status. I have not done FBI or medical yet as I read on here that it is not requested until after stage 1. Basically all that is done right now is I have applied for Permanent Residence Inland through my common law relationship, OWP application was sent with it and fees for the residence app + OWP have been paid. It was all received (the 2nd time) on October 3rd, 2013.

*edit*
To clarify on having no status currently. Yes it did make me freak out, as stated in a post a few weeks ago when I was told this. But a senior member on this forum told me that A) you do not need status as it does not affect your inland application and B) they are still honoring an old law where they will not come after you if you have a residence application in process. I am just hoping for this all to be true and accurate as i really have no other options.
You can be legally out of status and still be able to go through the inland PR sponsorship. So long as CIC has your PR application and you have proof of this, ie letter from CIC such as AOR, AIP. This will stave off the CBSA from coming after you and deporting you.

While CBSA can legally deport you out of Canada even though you have PR application in process, they usually leave you alone if you keep a low profile.