+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Havana, Cuba

LLA

Jul 15, 2019
Also, has anyone out there started their application process after the embassy closure for a spouse who has a dependent child not accompanying them? The way I am reading everything is, that even though the child is not accompanying, she has to also get her medical done which means flying her out of country and having to obtain permission from the other parent.

Any guidance is appreciated!

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
Also, has anyone out there started their application process after the embassy closure for a spouse who has a dependent child not accompanying them? The way I am reading everything is, that even though the child is not accompanying, she has to also get her medical done which means flying her out of country and having to obtain permission from the other parent.

Any guidance is appreciated!
Yes - you should plan financially to have your spouse and the dependent child (even if not accompanying) go to a third country for medicals and biometrics. Your spouse may even need a second trip to another country if an interview is required.

In terms of the passport, the other poster was talking about how the Cuban passport will need the Canadian visa foil placed in it. For that, many of us have had to come up with creative ways of getting the passport out of Cuba and to the Mexican office, and then back to Cuba again - and right now there seems to be no reliable way of returning a Cuban passport to its owner in Cuba.

Wishing you the best of luck. I would say that this process takes much more preparation and financial planning than it ever did before, for Cuban family sponsorship.

LLA

Jul 15, 2019
Yes - you should plan financially to have your spouse and the dependent child (even if not accompanying) go to a third country for medicals and biometrics. Your spouse may even need a second trip to another country if an interview is required.

In terms of the passport, the other poster was talking about how the Cuban passport will need the Canadian visa foil placed in it. For that, many of us have had to come up with creative ways of getting the passport out of Cuba and to the Mexican office, and then back to Cuba again - and right now there seems to be no reliable way of returning a Cuban passport to its owner in Cuba.

Wishing you the best of luck. I would say that this process takes much more preparation and financial planning than it ever did before, for Cuban family sponsorship.
I appreciate the advice! Is there anything saying that the Canadian Visa foil has to be done in Mexico or is it possible to request it be obtained in Trinidad?

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
Hi there,
I am new to this forum. I have everything together and am about to send in my application to sponsor my husband to come to Canada.

Did you originally mail your application to Sydney, NS then wait for instructions to have biometrics and medical done, then go to Trinidad?
I have confusion about your point in 1. My husband has a passport already, but is that irrelevant because it's not Canadian?
If we choose to go through Trinidad, can the government still send their approval to Mexico anyway? I don't understand what Mexico has to do with applications that are starting after the embassy closure.

I am at a complete loss with all of this, any help would be so very much appreciated!

In your original application, you need to mail it to the Canadian office. When I started, it was Mississauga, but I know some other people have mailed it to Sydney. If the instructions say Sydney, you mail it to Sydney. Once you mail it to CIC, they send it to Mexico for processing. Only after your spouse has been approved do you need to worry about sending a passport for the foil.

mecuban1982

Aug 18, 2018
Ok guys! We have done it! My husband is here post closing the visa office in Havana!! I will write how we did it. I had to learn things the hard way (costly way).
1. There was no way a passport would be going into Cuban mail. Not an option.
2. After thinking about me flying down and getting his passport, and sending it to Mexico, we decided that he would go to Trinidad and Tobago. I don't have a lot of vacation time at work and me flying down and back and then down and back, would time consuming.
3. A plane ticket to Trinidad and Tobago. They will not let a Cuban get on the plane without a return ticket to Havana. At first, I had bought a plane ticket from Havana to POS, then POS to Canada. About 20 minutes before boarding, I received a call saying I had to buy him a plane ticket back to Havana otherwise, they wouldn't let him on the plane. Bought plane ticket last minute. He flew with Caribbean Airlines.
4. When they land in POS, they are given a tourist card with their plane ticket exit date as an "expiry" of sorts. Make sure you buy a plane ticket at least two weeks....because if you don't, and you haven't gotten the"come and get your passport" request, you will have to change the ticket and they will have to go to T&T Immigration to get an extension.
5. $1000 USD (although he was not asked to prove he had the money).
6. We always get travel insurance (again, he was asked for no proof).
7. Airbnb reservation or hotel accommodation of proof that they have a place to stay.

Prior to going to the VAC office, you have to fill out a VAC consent form (TT Services Consent Form)(https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Trinidad-and-Tobago/pdf/Consent-Form-Revised-Deliverable-VFS.pdf) and bring 2 copies. This gives them the authority to handle your file. Then, you need to pay the VAC a $12 "Package Transmission Fee" (https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Trinidad-and-Tobago/pdf/Consent-Form-Revised-Deliverable-VFS.pdf) The "Package Transmission" fee is the DHL cost to send your documents to the High Commission. I ended up doing a bank transfer from my account to the DHL Scotiabank account. It wouldn't allow me online to pay because the applicant's name is different than the credit card name (at least that is the only thing I could think of as to why my credit card wouldn't work). The VAC needed that receipt before they would send the package. You can pay at the VAC office, but you need a credit card or debit card.

I was told the process would take 2 -30 days and after a week, I sent an email asking if they could give me a timeline due to increasing costs. They were really amazing, because I got an email saying that they would process everything and send it to the VAC office the next day.

We also had an Airbnb that was within walking distance to the VAC office - Mamelan Bed & Breakfast. We wanted a place where he didn't have to taxi everywhere. It was one of the most affordable places.

And now, he's here!! I ended up cancelling the return flight to Havana, then using those credits to fly him to Toronto. Cancelled the Westjet flight from POS to Calgary and then used those credits to fly him from Toronto to Calgary. Time in Immigration in Toronto - 15 minutes. It was incredibly easy!

It has been a process and we are finally done!
hi ferengi, im traveling with my family to POS for the medical tests, any suggest about hotel?? or anything ??,

thank in advance

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
hi ferengi, im traveling with my family to POS for the medical tests, any suggest about hotel?? or anything ??,

thank in advance

Do you know where they do the medicals? If you have to do business at the VAC office, I'd suggest Mamelan Bed & Breakfast - Airbnb address: https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/20957996?source_impression_id=p3_1563302472_iYztHT65tzmgFOQb

If the medicals are in a different area in POS, I'd suggest doing an Airbnb search. It is the best thing to do - at least cost wise. I was lucky as one of my coworkers is from T&T and she was able to tell me if we were in a good area.

Reactions: mecuban1982

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018

You say many have come up with creative ways to get the passport to the Mexican office, Please Share These Options. The only one I see on this forum is the person who went to POS T & T.

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
You say many have come up with creative ways to get the passport to the Mexican office, Please Share These Options. The only one I see on this forum is the person who went to POS T & T.
I don't know all the ways people do it. Another way that I did hear of was using DHL to get the passport to Mexico, and providing the Mexican office with a prepaid waybill to send it to Canada (you have to be a Representative in order to receive the passport) - and then the person flew down and got their family member and brought them back to Canada.

May 3, 2018
You can send the passport to Mexico from Cuba with DHL, it takes about two weeks. Then, Mexico has 28 days to stamp the visa I believe. What we have been hearing is that Mexico won't send passports back to Cuba, but I am dealing with a consultant for the very end of the process, for a fee, and that will allow me to get the passport back to Cuba absolutely legally.

I don't want to risk being caught with the passport at the borders, or have my husband fly to Trinidad-y-Tobago.

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
I don't know all the ways people do it. Another way that I did hear of was using DHL to get the passport to Mexico, and providing the Mexican office with a prepaid waybill to send it to Canada (you have to be a Representative in order to receive the passport) - and then the person flew down and got their family member and brought them back to Canada.
If you can get a prepaid waybill to Canada why not get a prepaid waybill back to Cuba

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
You can send the passport to Mexico from Cuba with DHL, it takes about two weeks. Then, Mexico has 28 days to stamp the visa I believe. What we have been hearing is that Mexico won't send passports back to Cuba, but I am dealing with a consultant for the very end of the process, for a fee, and that will allow me to get the passport back to Cuba absolutely legally.

I don't want to risk being caught with the passport at the borders, or have my husband fly to Trinidad-y-Tobago.
How can Mexico say they won't send the passport back to the owner in Cuba. Is this true or are people making up stories

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
How can Mexico say they won't send the passport back to the owner in Cuba. Is this true or are people making up stories
Do you know what the postal system is like in Cuba? It is not any easier for a courier service. DHL's offices are small and really can't store peoples' packages and mail. If you ask DHL if you can do a prepaid return waybill from Mexico to Cuba they will tell you, "no". But of course, don't take my word for it - do your own investigation.