+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Havana, Cuba

Osmel86

Star Member
Nov 23, 2017
Cuba
hi guys any news ???
Hello..I heard some people got their pre-arrival letter, other got notified today about visa pick-up and other got a notification email from Mexico between last week and this week...But no news for me yet..hopefully this week...I am from May 22, 2018 so I hope to hear something this week...

Reactions: mecuban1982

Sarahjay

Jan 11, 2019
Hey Osmel,

I have heard the same but didn’t hear about visa pickups. How are they giving out the visas?

Hello..I heard some people got their pre-arrival letter, other got notified today about visa pick-up and other got a notification email from Mexico between last week and this week...But no news for me yet..hopefully this week...I am from May 22, 2018 so I hope to hear something this week...

stephtigger

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hey Osmel,

I have heard the same but didn’t hear about visa pickups. How are they giving out the visas?
Yes I have heard the same
News. With two options, one by courier to the nearest VAC and there are none in cuba. The other to mail to the cic mexico embassy with a prepaid DHL envelope. And it seems nobody had clarified if these options are valid. Pick up
In Havana would be a much better option and more reliable. I have
Heard DHL export and especially import has been know
A nightmear. Do anyone
Know if DHL even provides prepaid envelopes for
Mailing back passports? If there was a VAC in Cuba it would
Also be much easier.

stephtigger

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Was yours a 3 page aor letter from Mexico with barcodes? Seems some were barcoded some just a basic email. Not sure if that means anything or not.

May 3, 2018
I received my AOR from Mexico on July 2. It is exactly the same as the AOR I got from Havana back in August, except that the visa office is the one in Mexico. No bar codes. No PDF.

stephtigger

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
I just got an email from Mexico this afternoon to let me know my file is there..So, let's see what's next in the coming days...Actually, I heard about someone who got his visa email but don't know the options Mexico gave them to send the passport for the visa.
I received my AOR from Mexico on July 2. It is exactly the same as the AOR I got from Havana back in August, except that the visa office is the one in Mexico. No bar codes. No PDF.
seems most received a three page PDF with bar codes, few a single email like Havana. Not sure what it means? Seems several
Had extra things requested. I to date have not received aor from Mexico.

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
hi guys,

I'd like to bring my mom to Canada to visit, but now that the embassy in Havana is closed we kinda postponed it. Does anyone have any news on when the embassy is reopening?

stephtigger

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
hi guys,

I'd like to bring my mom to Canada to visit, but now that the embassy in Havana is closed we kinda postponed it. Does anyone have any news on when the embassy is reopening?
You have to apply on line only through Canada. Bios are done outside Cuba, in a non visa country. And then wait decision. Only thing at Havana embassy is Canadian consular services.

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
Ok guys! We have done it! My husband is here post closing the visa office in Havana!! I will write how we did it. I had to learn things the hard way (costly way).
1. There was no way a passport would be going into Cuban mail. Not an option.
2. After thinking about me flying down and getting his passport, and sending it to Mexico, we decided that he would go to Trinidad and Tobago. I don't have a lot of vacation time at work and me flying down and back and then down and back, would time consuming.
3. A plane ticket to Trinidad and Tobago. They will not let a Cuban get on the plane without a return ticket to Havana. At first, I had bought a plane ticket from Havana to POS, then POS to Canada. About 20 minutes before boarding, I received a call saying I had to buy him a plane ticket back to Havana otherwise, they wouldn't let him on the plane. Bought plane ticket last minute. He flew with Caribbean Airlines.
4. When they land in POS, they are given a tourist card with their plane ticket exit date as an "expiry" of sorts. Make sure you buy a plane ticket at least two weeks....because if you don't, and you haven't gotten the"come and get your passport" request, you will have to change the ticket and they will have to go to T&T Immigration to get an extension.
5. $1000 USD (although he was not asked to prove he had the money).
6. We always get travel insurance (again, he was asked for no proof).
7. Airbnb reservation or hotel accommodation of proof that they have a place to stay.

Prior to going to the VAC office, you have to fill out a VAC consent form (TT Services Consent Form)(https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Trinidad-and-Tobago/pdf/Consent-Form-Revised-Deliverable-VFS.pdf) and bring 2 copies. This gives them the authority to handle your file. Then, you need to pay the VAC a $12 "Package Transmission Fee" (https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Trinidad-and-Tobago/pdf/Consent-Form-Revised-Deliverable-VFS.pdf) The "Package Transmission" fee is the DHL cost to send your documents to the High Commission. I ended up doing a bank transfer from my account to the DHL Scotiabank account. It wouldn't allow me online to pay because the applicant's name is different than the credit card name (at least that is the only thing I could think of as to why my credit card wouldn't work). The VAC needed that receipt before they would send the package. You can pay at the VAC office, but you need a credit card or debit card.

I was told the process would take 2 -30 days and after a week, I sent an email asking if they could give me a timeline due to increasing costs. They were really amazing, because I got an email saying that they would process everything and send it to the VAC office the next day.

We also had an Airbnb that was within walking distance to the VAC office - Mamelan Bed & Breakfast. We wanted a place where he didn't have to taxi everywhere. It was one of the most affordable places.

And now, he's here!! I ended up cancelling the return flight to Havana, then using those credits to fly him to Toronto. Cancelled the Westjet flight from POS to Calgary and then used those credits to fly him from Toronto to Calgary. Time in Immigration in Toronto - 15 minutes. It was incredibly easy!

It has been a process and we are finally done!

Last edited:

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
So he stayed in
Pos and did he then fly to Toronto ? Why did he have to have a return
Ticket to Havana? And they processed his Ppr fast at embassy while he waited in pos? I
Know you can
Mail the passport from Canada and get the passport back to the spouses. But glad this all worked out for you
Yes...he stayed in POS and in the end, flew from POS to Toronto. They would not let him on the plane without a return ticket to Havana, so although I had bought him an exit ticket, according to the rules, he needed a return ticket to Havana.

And yes...I could have mailed the passport from Canada to Mexico; however, that would mean that I would have to go to Cuba 2 times and ticket costs from Western Canada are much more expensive than if you live in the Toronto area - particularly in the summer.

LLA

Jul 15, 2019
Ok guys! We have done it! My husband is here post closing the visa office in Havana!! I will write how we did it. I had to learn things the hard way (costly way).
1. There was no way a passport would be going into Cuban mail. Not an option.
2. After thinking about me flying down and getting his passport, and sending it to Mexico, we decided that he would go to Trinidad and Tobago. I don't have a lot of vacation time at work and me flying down and back and then down and back, would time consuming.
3. A plane ticket to Trinidad and Tobago. They will not let a Cuban get on the plane without a return ticket to Havana. At first, I had bought a plane ticket from Havana to POS, then POS to Canada. About 20 minutes before boarding, I received a call saying I had to buy him a plane ticket back to Havana otherwise, they wouldn't let him on the plane. Bought plane ticket last minute. He flew with Caribbean Airlines.
4. When they land in POS, they are given a tourist card with their plane ticket exit date as an "expiry" of sorts. Make sure you buy a plane ticket at least two weeks....because if you don't, and you haven't gotten the"come and get your passport" request, you will have to change the ticket and they will have to go to T&T Immigration to get an extension.
5. $1000 USD (although he was not asked to prove he had the money).
6. We always get travel insurance (again, he was asked for no proof).
7. Airbnb reservation or hotel accommodation of proof that they have a place to stay.

Prior to going to the VAC office, you have to fill out a VAC consent form (TT Services Consent Form)(https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Trinidad-and-Tobago/pdf/Consent-Form-Revised-Deliverable-VFS.pdf) and bring 2 copies. This gives them the authority to handle your file. Then, you need to pay the VAC a $12 "Package Transmission Fee" (https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Trinidad-and-Tobago/pdf/Consent-Form-Revised-Deliverable-VFS.pdf) The "Package Transmission" fee is the DHL cost to send your documents to the High Commission. I ended up doing a bank transfer from my account to the DHL Scotiabank account. It wouldn't allow me online to pay because the applicant's name is different than the credit card name (at least that is the only thing I could think of as to why my credit card wouldn't work). The VAC needed that receipt before they would send the package. You can pay at the VAC office, but you need a credit card or debit card.

I was told the process would take 2 -30 days and after a week, I sent an email asking if they could give me a timeline due to increasing costs. They were really amazing, because I got an email saying that they would process everything and send it to the VAC office the next day.

We also had an Airbnb that was within walking distance to the VAC office - Mamelan Bed & Breakfast. We wanted a place where he didn't have to taxi everywhere. It was one of the most affordable places.

And now, he's here!! I ended up cancelling the return flight to Havana, then using those credits to fly him to Toronto. Cancelled the Westjet flight from POS to Calgary and then used those credits to fly him from Toronto to Calgary. Time in Immigration in Toronto - 15 minutes. It was incredibly easy!

It has been a process and we are finally done!
Hi there,
I am new to this forum. I have everything together and am about to send in my application to sponsor my husband to come to Canada.

Did you originally mail your application to Sydney, NS then wait for instructions to have biometrics and medical done, then go to Trinidad?
I have confusion about your point in 1. My husband has a passport already, but is that irrelevant because it's not Canadian?
If we choose to go through Trinidad, can the government still send their approval to Mexico anyway? I don't understand what Mexico has to do with applications that are starting after the embassy closure.

I am at a complete loss with all of this, any help would be so very much appreciated!

Reactions: clairemarie