+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Liberal is playing smart here. Justin Trudeau was absent during the voting of C-24, which I found very weird.

There were 23 members beside Conservative who were absent and didn't casted the vote, while the difference in vote was just 19. So if they were super serious, they would have made sure all of the members are present. Conservative still have the majority though and they would have taken it anyways, but you never know.

I think there possibly could be a fair chance if there is a nationwide campaign where politicians are read that they have lost the voters in the family due to this bill. Again chances of this are slim, but still. TBH, Though I love Canada but similar things are very frustrating because it also means that law could again be changed in future with some additional clause. If they start counting the Pre PR time with keeping other clauses the same, it might be beneficial too. But again, I think any one who is already a PR should not be victim of new law because they opted for PR in Canada based on current regulations.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
My Dear fellow friends ,
I grow up in a different country and I wanted to immigrate to Canada.
The reason I wanted Canada is because it is a blessed state, nice cool people, democratic system,
And much more.
I did not think for a fraction of a second that Canada owes me something, I knew that I can apply my papers, and if the Canadian people that chose their government/parliament want , only than I will get my PR to live and work in Canada.

I am so thankful for the Canadian people/government for letting me to be a part of Canada, and as a humble guest I say thank you for everything they do/give me, I am a happy camper, I pay my taxes, and I pray to God every day for the peace of Canada.

My kids and grandkids, if they may or/will have constructive criticism , as a democratic state will say their saying at the election, but, as per me I find it very hard to say something against the Canadian people/government. I can not thank them enough.

I took upon myself to refrain from writing at this forum, as I did not like harsh talking/ and negative attitude. I know its only 2-3 bad apples, and all the thousand of the members here, are thankful as me, and they are talking in a nice positive way only, ( a few of them above me wrote very nice clear and constructive) but I had it enough

I think that I am lucky to apply my papers with the old law, and I will submit my application at the end of June 2015.

I wish my dear fellow friends to be lucky as well and be able to apply their citizenship papers with the old/easy laws.
With this I rest my case,
I love you all, and good luck with your new life at your new warm home Canada

Adnan34

Star Member
Apr 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wishing you best of luck in Canada. I have no doubt that every one in this forum love to Canada and be part of the prosperity of this great nation.

SoftwareEngg

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
I agree with you, its pretty fair to make two different eligibilties for the PR holders who get PR before rule passed and after that. Its unfair to give one year of grace period only. At one stand govt wants everybody should pay tax and understand the Canadian culture but at the same time they are ignoring those guys who did study and work here and got PR after 5-6 years and now they have to be eligible under the new rule. On the other hand, now the govt is giving PR on the basis of Express entry who just arrived canada 1 year ago or may be applying for PR from there own country and will get PR with in 3-4 MONTHS and they will be the same boat like us (who paid taxes for last 6 years).

This is something rediculous and partial with those who got PR by paying taxes and work hard.

buddhaB said:
There is something called free speech my friend.I can say whatever I want.

As an immigrant,I want to try to protect my interests that this government wants to take away.I neither want myself or any other immigrant to be in a lower position than a Canadian citizen.NEVER.

Therefore,I am raising my voice.You do not want to raise your voice? that is your choice.

If this government wants to consider me a puppet.Too bad.(as an ENGINEER)there is a US-Canada border 2 hours away from my home and this will not be my loss.

If they want to treat immigrants unfairly,okay.That is their choice.In maximum 2 years.We are getting our passports.And yeah.Move on maybe.

The fair solution is applying the new residency law to immigrants who become PRs after the implementation date of the new residency law.This is it.FULLY FAIR to people who became PRs before.This is simple to think of.But because the parliament wants to be an ass,they do not implement the law fairly.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Relative to some observations made in the last couple pages:

Two weeks lead time required:

More than two weeks notice was long, long ago given. There is no requirement that any further advance notice be given before the revised requirements in the SCCA come into force. Whether the Order fixing the date precedes the date fixed by one day or two weeks or a month or more is entirely at the discretion of the government.

Thus, May 25th is not yet excluded, let alone June 1st. But neither is August 1st or July 17th. We do not know what the date will be.

Moreover, we do not know how many days before the date the new law takes effect that the Governor in General will issue the Order. One day or ten days or more, we do not know. (I suspect it will be at least a week or two weeks before, but there is NO guarantee of this.)

By the way, many times, if not most times, a new law takes effect the day it receives Royal Assent, as was the case for parts of the SCCA . . . which leads to the matter of notice generally.

Unfair lack of notice to those who immigrated prior to change in law:

Basically marlarkey.

The argument that Canada is changing the rules unfairly, without notice, for those who immigrated to Canada prior to . . . well, I am not sure what date this criticism is based upon . . . all this criticism being unfounded since more than three years NOTICE of the changes was given.

Notice was given in September 2011 that these requirements were going to be changed if the Conservatives won a majority election in the October 2011 election. They won.

Sure, politicians often do not keep their campaign promises. Indeed, these particular changes were promised to be made by the end of 2012 and the legislation did not even get tabled until 2014. But plenty of notice that these changes were coming was given.

Thus, anyone who claims there was an unfair lack of notice these changes were coming is either disingenuous or should be blaming themselves for failing to do their homework before immigrating.

Personal note about this: I initially met the 1095 days of actual presence test in the fall of 2011, and in the forums scores of others adamantly urged me to apply sooner rather than later precisely because changes were anticipated, that is, precisely because it was anticipated that the residency requirement would very soon be increased, as the Conservative platform had promised, and as Minister Kenney oft suggested, it would be increased and made more strict. Potentially with minimal notice. But I knew that it could not be done without going through the Parliamentary process, so at the least I would have three months practical notice as to when any such change would be implemented.

For example, there are probably dozens of posts in the citizenship forum at immigration.ca, back in the late 2011 through 2012 period, in which various individuals repeatedly advised me to stop procrastinating and apply sooner, not later. (Actually I was waiting, not procrastinating; I did not procrastinate until 2013, but before that I was deliberately waiting based on an assessment of potential issues and risk of RQ at that time.)

In any event: there was plenty of notice these changes were coming well over three years ago. More than enough time to meet the residency requirement and apply for citizenship before the new law takes effect for anyone who was relying on the timeline to become a Canadian citizen. Regarding which, by the way, by 2011 there was already plenty of notice that CIC could take up to four years or so or even more to process a citizenship application . . . so anyone immigrating to Canada in 2011 or later was also on notice that after they came to Canada it could take seven or eight years to become a Canadian citizen. Or longer. (Indeed, by 2011 there were published cases involving applicants who came to Canada in 2001 or 2002, and who applied for citizenship in 2004 or 2005, who were still not citizens.)

Those complaining about the lack of notice are like someone who buys a used car and then complains it has been driven 99,000 thousand kilometres, when all they had to do was look at the odometer, or at how worn the gas and brake pedals were, to see how extensively the vehicle had been driven.

Didoung said:
I have a question: it's hard to find work in my field. What if I left Canada for professional reasons soon after I get my citizenship? Could they take it back? And also, could the fact that my husband and son were born in Canada help in any way, do you think?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Generally, leaving Canada after becoming a citizen does not, will not, have any effect on the validity of one's status as a citizen.

That said, to some extent some clarification is warranted. In particular, it may be said that the answer to this query depends . . .

First, depends on when the application for citizenship was made. If the application itself has already been made, or is made before the revised requirements in the SCCA come into force, leaving Canada after taking the oath would have absolutely no impact on the validity of your status as a citizen.

If this is about someone who applies for citizenship after the revised requirements in the SCCA come into force, someone for whom the intent to continue to reside in Canada requirement applies during the processing of the application for citizenship, even then generally leaving Canada after becoming a citizen, for whatever reason, is of no import, no impact on that person's citizenship status . . .

. . . but since you qualified this by referring to leaving Canada "SOON after" getting citizenship, the answer depends in part on How soon?

Note, while how soon? may invite some question, particularly if it is quite soon after taking the oath, the real issue will be rooted in the circumstances and facts, and whether the individual misrepresented facts (technically an individual's "intent" may be characterized as a fact, but the real focus of inquiry would be on physical facts . . . like did the individual have a job offer or did he enter into a rental agreement for or continue to own a residence abroad).

An individual who has already accepted a job offer abroad, for example, at the time he takes the oath, and who then leaves Canada, within days or weeks after taking the oath, to take that job, sure, it would be apparent this individual committed fraud, made a material misrepresentation to obtain citizenship, and thus is at risk for the government prosecuting him or her for the fraud, revoking citizenship and perhaps imposing a prison term.

Engaging in crime has its risks.

Obviously, the case would be even more obvious if the individual has actually taken a job abroad, returns to Canada briefly for the purpose of taking the oath, and leaves to return to the job abroad.

DUH!

By the way, though, such an individual would have committed fraud, and potentially face criminal prosecution and revocation of citizenship, even if shortly after taking the oath a head-hunter for a Canadian company persuades him to take a job in Canada and the individual decides to return to Canada to live. Ten years down the road, if the government discovers this individual had a job abroad and owned a home abroad and there were other facts and circumstances to clearly show the individual took the oath under false pretenses, the fact he ended up living in Canada would be NO defense.

The issue, after all, is not where the individual actually lives after becoming a citizen, but whether or not the individual made a material misrepresentation of fact during the processing of the application for citizenship.

One could easily dismiss the practical prospects that Canada would pursue revocation of citizenship for the individual who had a job abroad but after becoming a citizen ended up working and living in Canada. Revocation of this individual's citizenship is not likely to happen. But that is just as likely, if not more so, than anyone will have revocation proceedings initiated against them just because they left Canada to live abroad six months or more after they had become a citizen.

There will be no magic cut-off based on how soon a new citizen leaves Canada. At one extreme, if the individual had a round-trip ticket from abroad, to come to Canada to take the oath and then return home, that is an obvious at-risk scenario. At the other extreme, if an individual has been working in Canada for more than a year after becoming a citizen, at a job that individual had for more than a year before becoming a citizen, and a head-hunter from the U.S. then offers a job too good to turn down, and this somewhat new citizen moves abroad for that job, there is no hint this would be an issue, no hint of any problem at all.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
dpenabill said:

Two weeks lead time required:

More than two weeks notice was long, long ago given. There is no requirement that any further advance notice be given before the revised requirements in the SCCA come into force. Whether the Order fixing the date precedes the date fixed by one day or two weeks or a month or more is entirely at the discretion of the government.

Thus, May 25th is not yet excluded, let alone June 1st. But neither is August 1st or July 17th. We do not know what the date will be.

Moreover, we do not know how many days before the date the new law takes effect that the Governor in General will issue the Order. One day or ten days or more, we do not know. (I suspect it will be at least a week or two weeks before, but there is NO guarantee of this.)

By the way, many times, if not most times, a new law takes effect the day it receives Royal Assent, as was the case for parts of the SCCA . . . which leads to the matter of notice generally.

Basically marlarkey.

The argument that Canada is changing the rules unfairly, without notice, for those who immigrated to Canada prior to . . . well, I am not sure what date this criticism is based upon . . . all this criticism being unfounded since more than three years NOTICE of the changes was given.

Notice was given in September 2011 that these requirements were going to be changed if the Conservatives won a majority election in the October 2011 election. They won.

Sure, politicians often do not keep their campaign promises. Indeed, these particular changes were promised to be made by the end of 2012 and the legislation did not even get tabled until 2014. But plenty of notice that these changes were coming was given.

Thus, anyone who claims there was an unfair lack of notice these changes were coming is either disingenuous or should be blaming themselves for failing to do their homework before immigrating.

Personal note about this: I initially met the 1095 days of actual presence test in the fall of 2011, and in the forums scores of others adamantly urged me to apply sooner rather than later precisely because changes were anticipated, that is, precisely because it was anticipated that the residency requirement would very soon be increased, as the Conservative platform had promised, and as Minister Kenney oft suggested, it would be increased and made more strict. Potentially with minimal notice. But I knew that it could not be done without going through the Parliamentary process, so at the least I would have three months practical notice as to when any such change would be implemented.

For example, there are probably dozens of posts in the citizenship forum at immigration.ca, back in the late 2011 through 2012 period, in which various individuals repeatedly advised me to stop procrastinating and apply sooner, not later. (Actually I was waiting, not procrastinating; I did not procrastinate until 2013, but before that I was deliberately waiting based on an assessment of potential issues and risk of RQ at that time.)

In any event: there was plenty of notice these changes were coming well over three years ago. More than enough time to meet the residency requirement and apply for citizenship before the new law takes effect for anyone who was relying on the timeline to become a Canadian citizen. Regarding which, by the way, by 2011 there was already plenty of notice that CIC could take up to four years or so or even more to process a citizenship application . . . so anyone immigrating to Canada in 2011 or later was also on notice that after they came to Canada it could take seven or eight years to become a Canadian citizen. Or longer. (Indeed, by 2011 there were published cases involving applicants who came to Canada in 2001 or 2002, and who applied for citizenship in 2004 or 2005, who were still not citizens.)

Those complaining about the lack of notice are like someone who buys a used car and then complains it has been driven 99,000 thousand kilometres, when all they had to do was look at the odometer, or at how worn the gas and brake pedals were, to see how extensively the vehicle had been driven.

Generally, leaving Canada after becoming a citizen does not, will not, have any effect on the validity of one's status as a citizen.

That said, to some extent some clarification is warranted. In particular, it may be said that the answer to this query depends . . .

First, depends on when the application for citizenship was made. If the application itself has already been made, or is made before the revised requirements in the SCCA come into force, leaving Canada after taking the oath would have absolutely no impact on the validity of your status as a citizen.

If this is about someone who applies for citizenship after the revised requirements in the SCCA come into force, someone for whom the intent to continue to reside in Canada requirement applies during the processing of the application for citizenship, even then generally leaving Canada after becoming a citizen, for whatever reason, is of no import, no impact on that person's citizenship status . . .

. . . but since you qualified this by referring to leaving Canada "SOON after" getting citizenship, the answer depends in part on How soon?

Note, while how soon? may invite some question, particularly if it is quite soon after taking the oath, the real issue will be rooted in the circumstances and facts, and whether the individual misrepresented facts (technically an individual's "intent" may be characterized as a fact, but the real focus of inquiry would be on physical facts . . . like did the individual have a job offer or did he enter into a rental agreement for or continue to own a residence abroad).

An individual who has already accepted a job offer abroad, for example, at the time he takes the oath, and who then leaves Canada, within days or weeks after taking the oath, to take that job, sure, it would be apparent this individual committed fraud, made a material misrepresentation to obtain citizenship, and thus is at risk for the government prosecuting him or her for the fraud, revoking citizenship and perhaps imposing a prison term.

Engaging in crime has its risks.

Obviously, the case would be even more obvious if the individual has actually taken a job abroad, returns to Canada briefly for the purpose of taking the oath, and leaves to return to the job abroad.

DUH!

By the way, though, such an individual would have committed fraud, and potentially face criminal prosecution and revocation of citizenship, even if shortly after taking the oath a head-hunter for a Canadian company persuades him to take a job in Canada and the individual decides to return to Canada to live. Ten years down the road, if the government discovers this individual had a job abroad and owned a home abroad and there were other facts and circumstances to clearly show the individual took the oath under false pretenses, the fact he ended up living in Canada would be NO defense.

The issue, after all, is not where the individual actually lives after becoming a citizen, but whether or not the individual made a material misrepresentation of fact during the processing of the application for citizenship.

One could easily dismiss the practical prospects that Canada would pursue revocation of citizenship for the individual who had a job abroad but after becoming a citizen ended up working and living in Canada. Revocation of this individual's citizenship is not likely to happen. But that is just as likely, if not more so, than anyone will have revocation proceedings initiated against them just because they left Canada to live abroad six months or more after they had become a citizen.

There will be no magic cut-off based on how soon a new citizen leaves Canada. At one extreme, if the individual had a round-trip ticket from abroad, to come to Canada to take the oath and then return home, that is an obvious at-risk scenario. At the other extreme, if an individual has been working in Canada for more than a year after becoming a citizen, at a job that individual had for more than a year before becoming a citizen, and a head-hunter from the U.S. then offers a job too good to turn down, and this somewhat new citizen moves abroad for that job, there is no hint this would be an issue, no hint of any problem at all.
you often write posts that sound "encouraging people to shut up and accept" whatever the governments offer them.

People like me do not buy this kind of attitude anymore,my friend.This kind of mentality is very often seen in Canada because you have nothing to lose with decisions taken by the Conservative government.Probably you have an income and are already a Canadian.

Do not get me wrong.You spend a lot of time writing posts and try to inform people.It is great.However,you accept or not,Bill C-24 is being implemented unfairly.

I have studied everything great before being a PR.What I missed is the way you write your posts just like this government writes laws.
I was inexperienced and young.Now I know more about how things work in this country and I know how to deal with people like yourself.

So yeah.I am telling my fellow immigrants to not believe in long and encouraging posts.Because just like whatever some people did to First Nations.The same people are still sucking immigrants blood and quietly planning to make their lives more miserable

You should not accept whatever somebody tells you and question them.Bill C-24 has been designed before as you are telling us.Yes! this is what this government does.They suck your blood quietly.

Defend your rights,do not keep quiet my friends.If you shut up now and say okay! I`ll stay 2 more years to become a citizen.Next time they will say hey! if you leave canada for 6 months and return,you cannot benefit from the health coverage because you are a dual citizen.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
SoftwareEngg said:
I agree with you, its pretty fair to make two different eligibilties for the PR holders who get PR before rule passed and after that. Its unfair to give one year of grace period only. At one stand govt wants everybody should pay tax and understand the Canadian culture but at the same time they are ignoring those guys who did study and work here and got PR after 5-6 years and now they have to be eligible under the new rule. On the other hand, now the govt is giving PR on the basis of Express entry who just arrived canada 1 year ago or may be applying for PR from there own country and will get PR with in 3-4 MONTHS and they will be the same boat like us (who paid taxes for last 6 years).

This is something rediculous and partial with those who got PR by paying taxes and work hard.
This is what I have been trying to tell people.

Please my friends.Just do not say Canada accepted us and gave us shelter.They need you.They need you more actually than a drug-addict Canadian citizen.

As legal-immigrants,defend your rights and interests.I know most of you are well-educated but may be inexperienced in life here.Do not believe people who approach you nice and offer you things and say " if you accept this,you will have that in the future"

This is what First nations did in the past! believed and accepted!

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
dpenabill said:

Basically marlarkey.

dpenabill you are skilled in the legal profession and know how to twist words to convey your point. But you are wrong. Notice was given to whom? Certainly not to new immigrants. This is what the CIC citizenship page looked like in October 2011: https://web.archive.org/web/20100208082309/http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become.asp

Do you see any notice that the requirements on this page are about to change? The only notice I see is this:
Note: On April 17, the law changed and many former Canadians reacquired citizenship. Find out more about the new law and who is affected.
Now, let me surprise you even further. This is what the CIC citizenship eligibility page looks TODAY: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp
in May 2015, almost a year after these requirements were changed drastically, CIC continues to lie to new PR applicants that they will be eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years after landing! How outrageous is that?

To put it in your used car example: you are buying a used car, the odometer reads 99,000 km, the bill of sale reads 99,000km, but 3 months later, when you go to the garage for routine maintenance, the mechanic tells you that the odometer has been tempered with and the car probably has closer to 200,000 km. What do you do then? What happens to the seller who lied to you? What happens in a democracy to a government who lie to the demos? They lose the elections is what I hope happens.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
anon123 said:
dpenabill you are skilled in the legal profession and know how to twist words to convey your point. But you are wrong. Notice was given to whom? Certainly not to new immigrants. This is what the CIC citizenship page looked like in October 2011: https://web.archive.org/web/20100208082309/http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become.asp

Do you see any notice that the requirements on this page are about to change? The only notice I see is this:
Now, let me surprise you even further. This is what the CIC citizenship eligibility page looks TODAY: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp
in May 2015, almost a year after these requirements were changed drastically, CIC continues to lie to new PR applicants that they will be eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years after landing! How outrageous is that?

To put it in your used car example: you are buying a used car, the odometer reads 99,000 km, the bill of sale reads 99,000km, but 3 months later, when you go to the garage for routine maintenance, the mechanic tells you that the odometer has been tempered with and the car probably has closer to 200,000 km. What do you do then? What happens to the seller who lied to you? What happens in a democracy to a government who lie to the demos? They lose the elections is what I hope happens.
Amen to that!

And a perfect example clarifying the way CIC and this government work!

Bill-C24 says even if you have only Canadian citizenship,the CIC still can revoke your citizenship and make you STATELESS.They can blame you and say Hey! you got the citizenship with false information and representation.Get out of Canada.Now! and you cannot even file a court case!

Please read the Bill as good as Dpenabill and think of your rights my fellow immigrants.

april2015

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
Mississauga ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
not sure how much you have traveled outside of Canada during accumulation of your 1095 days that makes you eligible to apply for the citizenship under the existing 3/4 rule. If you haven't traveled much and are 100% sure of your entry / exit dates then a couple of days buffer is enough to escape the forthcoming 4/6 rule. I traveled once or twice only during this time and applied with only 3 extra days buffer and received AOR in just 2 weeks. You may wanna review my posts in April 2015 applicants page for more information before you send your package out to CIC to ensure that you do not risk the chance of getting your application returned and thereafter left with no choice than to apply under the new 4/6 rule. Good Luck!

Alias said:
Buffer time on top of 1095 days:

Hi, if someone has all the necessary documents in place, how much additional buffer time should be good to add to 1095 days before submitting the application? With the C24 implementation date in a flux, I am not sure if it is worthwhile to wait for few days to add some buffer period. But this puts us at a risk of getting a RQ

Thanks,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Number of provisions in Bill C-24 which would allow Canada to revoke Citizenship and make an individual stateless: NONE.

There is not a single change in the law which contravenes Canadian and International law which prohibits the government from rendering an individual stateless. Even convicted terrorists cannot have their citizenship revoked if that would make them stateless.

Note: revocation for fraud is not encompassed in this because status obtained by fraud is invalid; it is essentially what is called void ab initio, which simply means it is of no legal effect. All the revocation process for misrepresentation does is adjudicate the fact that citizenship status was obtained by fraud, is thus invalid, and thus revoked, affirming the individual has whatever status the individual had prior to the fraudulent acquisition of citizenship-status . . . if that individual was stateless, he or she remains stateless, not due to an act by the government of Canada but because that was the individual's status and no citizenship has been legally obtained.

Clarification regarding notice:

Bottomline: there was extensive, widely recognized notice these changes were coming, way over three years ago. That's a fact.

The CIC web pages display current information, that information is NOT official, that information is not exclusive nor purported to be exclusive, and there are NO promises regarding what changes in the law might be made or not made.

Canada is a nation governed by the rule of law and changes in the law can only be made in compliance with prescribed Parliamentary procedures.

That process involves a lot of official notice in addition to the inherent practical aspects which involve prospective notice, the latter typically far, far in advance of the formal legislation itself . . . as was the case for the revised requirements for citizenship.

As I noted, back in 2011 these forums were even then awash in discussions about the prospective, promised changes coming to the citizenship requirements. Anyone paying any attention at all to what was required to obtain citizenship in Canada was well informed that changes were coming, and that the changes would likely increase the minimum residency requirements and be more strict.

Again, as a practical matter, there was particular notice these changes were coming nearly three years before the law was adopted, and it is now approaching a full year since the law was adopted and these changes are still not in effect.

Sure, young people, and actually older people as well, can stupidly pursue a course of action without doing their homework, without really learning about and understanding what contingencies will be involved. Sure, we live in an age rife with narcissistic denial of accountability. But once in awhile it would be refreshing to see someone who failed to do their homework own up, display a bit of honesty.

By the way, however, CIC's poor communicaiton, sometimes an outright lack of communication, does indeed deserve a great deal of criticism.

Indeed, the combination of CIC's lack of transparency these days in conjunction with its oft times poor, even a blatant lack of communication in some respects, sometimes amounts to miscommunication . . . much like CIC treats an omission as a misrepresentation, some of CIC's omissions do rise to the level of miscommunicating.

And I have authored quite a lot of that criticism over the course of the last many years. And yes, CIC's superficial rendition of the current qualifications for citizenship has been a particular target of my criticisms in many, many posts over the course of the last several years (more posted in the immigration.ca forum than this one).

One of my main criticisms has been how CIC fails to illuminate its overt opposition to the grant of citizenship for shortfall applicants, which in following many dozens of appeals to the Federal Court in addition to the angst expressed in these forums, it is well apparent that CIC's lack of clear communication has indeed been a primary cause for much confusion leading to premature applications for citizenship, many of which (most these days) result in denial. A huge share of the blame for the 2011/2012 backlog belongs to CIC itself.

But this whining about reliance on a promise, a promise never made, that Canadian citizenship was in effect guaranteed to an immigrant three years after arriving in Canada, is bogus, dishonest, and frankly a distraction. Part of why the BS (like this BS about relying on being able to become a citizen in three years, despite how widely known the pending changes were) is a problem is because it distracts from legimate, well founded criticism. Those of us who would like to push CIC to be a better and more fair bureaucracy too often find our efforts drowned in a cacophony of marlarkey bleating unfounded refrains.

I am not telling anyone to shut up. But when someone complains they were misled about one plus two equaling three, and repeats that, and repeats it again and again, especially when it is not even relevatnt to the topic of discussion, someone needs to point out that their complaint is unfounded, that any fool should have known that one plus two equals three.

And give a reminder that this topic should be focused on matters of import to those interested in when the new requirements will come into effect.

To be clear, by the way, again there is no guarantee that the Governor in General will issue the Order fixing the date, for the revised requirements to come into force, more than a day prior to the date fixed for those provisions to come into force. It may be a day, three days, a week, two weeks, or even longer. We do not know.

That is to say, it is not true that there must be some additional notice given at least two weeks in advance of the day the new requirements take effect.

m22ij

Star Member
May 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called the CIC yesterday and the agent told me that the government doesn't need any notice to enforce the law,,, they have already given a year in advance,, also she mentioned that 19th June isn't a confirmed date no one knows,, it could be that day or any other later date.. I am one of the unfortunate people, but what to do seriously if they change they change it,, lets pray they don't and hope for the best. :( :( :(

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
m22ij said:
I called the CIC yesterday and the agent told me that the government doesn't need any notice to enforce the law,,, they have already given a year in advance,, also she mentioned that 19th June isn't a confirmed date no one knows,, it could be that day or any other later date.. I am one of the unfortunate people, but what to do seriously if they change they change it,, lets pray they don't and hope for the best. :( :( :(
CIC have to give some sort of notice. It is totally unfair to an applicant to send in an application under the old rule, say from BC, and the new law go into effect while the package was in transit to CIC office. CIC would have to return the application since it doesn't meet the new 4/6 rule.

There has to be some form of notice so that applicant can prepare for it.