+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE is unfair in its selection process for full-timers working in Canada on PGWP

curious_123

Jun 19, 2014
Recommendation by Bar association of Canada to cic :

The EE program is unlikely to assist Post-Graduate Employment Work Permit (PGWP) holders.
These individuals will not likely have sufficient Human Capital and Transferability points to
justify ITA without a LMIA. They are also unlikely to qualify for LMIAs. PGWP holders were
previously eligible for LMIAs with waiver of advertising if an employer was offering permanent
employment. That waiver was removed in April 2014.
The overhaul of the Foreign Worker Program in June 2014 imposed new salary requirements
and a more rigorous assessment of availability of Canadian or PR applicants for advertised
employment. A PGWP holder who is a recent graduate from Canadian university is unlikely to
obtain an LMIA in support of a work permit or in support of a permanent offer of employment.
CIC representatives have stated clearly that there is a policy shift for foreign students
graduating from Canadian postsecondary institutions. There is no longer to be a smooth
passage to PR status.
In light of the fact that Canadian universities and other postgraduate institutions have
aggressively recruited foreign students to Canada with the enticement of progression to PR
status, we recommend that CIC clearly and promptly notify these institutions that the EE
program will not support most PGWP holders and that easy progression of foreign students in
Canada to PR status is no longer supported by government policy.

RECOMMENDATION:
7. That CIC clearly and promptly notify designated postsecondary institutions
that the EE program will not support most PGWP holders and that easy
progression of foreign students in Canada to PR status is no longer
supported by government policy.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
curious_123 said:
Recommendation by Bar association of Canada to cic :

The EE program is unlikely to assist Post-Graduate Employment Work Permit (PGWP) holders.
These individuals will not likely have sufficient Human Capital and Transferability points to
justify ITA without a LMIA. They are also unlikely to qualify for LMIAs. PGWP holders were
previously eligible for LMIAs with waiver of advertising if an employer was offering permanent
employment. That waiver was removed in April 2014.
The overhaul of the Foreign Worker Program in June 2014 imposed new salary requirements
and a more rigorous assessment of availability of Canadian or PR applicants for advertised
employment. A PGWP holder who is a recent graduate from Canadian university is unlikely to
obtain an LMIA in support of a work permit or in support of a permanent offer of employment.
CIC representatives have stated clearly that there is a policy shift for foreign students
graduating from Canadian postsecondary institutions. There is no longer to be a smooth
passage to PR status.
In light of the fact that Canadian universities and other postgraduate institutions have
aggressively recruited foreign students to Canada with the enticement of progression to PR
status, we recommend that CIC clearly and promptly notify these institutions that the EE
program will not support most PGWP holders and that easy progression of foreign students in
Canada to PR status is no longer supported by government policy.

RECOMMENDATION:
7. That CIC clearly and promptly notify designated postsecondary institutions
that the EE program will not support most PGWP holders and that easy
progression of foreign students in Canada to PR status is no longer
supported by government policy.
where did you read this from?

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
doubleym said:
Because you are not a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident and only have the temporary privilege to work. Even if you are the best candidate for the job, Canadians take precedence, it's as simple as that.

Hence the advantage given to LMIA holders and the difficulty in obtaining them, it shows there is a genuine need for you and your skills in the country and you won't be taking away a position for a Canadian.
Could you try to be at least a little empathetic? Prior to 1 January, PGWP holders and other foreign workers on LMIA exempt open work permits were given a far more assured and straight forward progression to PR - now the EE regime throws that into chaos so to speak. 99% of these people were hired on the basis that they didn't require a +ve LMIA so why would employers waste their time and resources attempting to get an LMIA when they could just be hiring a Canadian?

That's the point - these folks are basically in limbo, a lot of people will be forced to leave Canada as their permits expire, many have built their lives in Canada, have relationships etc - You might say rules are rules, but they weren't the rules at the time when they first started their Canadian experience - that's what is so hard.

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i have the same problem guys, My manager said the same thing. the whole reason they hired me was the "open" work permit. and that matching entry level salaries to the median wages of LMIA is hard even for big corporations.

Although, everyone who got an ITA were invited under FSWP, i still have a hope that when CEC draws are out, we would be in better shape.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
dukhi said:
where did you read this from?
Some googling yielded interesting results:

http://www.cba.org/CBA/submissions/pdf/14-77-eng.pdf

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
This is a tough situation. I am empathetic for all PGWP holders who came to Canada with the expectation of a fairly clear pathway to permanent residence, and the rules have been suddenly changed. The reality is the government is sort of making a "Rob Peter to pay Paul" policy adjustment - the PGWP program has been considered a bit of a wild wild west in terms of offering a very generous open work permit after graduation, and hasn't been meeting the expectations of the "skilled immigrant" transition the Conservatives have been morphing the immigration program to. Many international students (again, not all and maybe not even the majority) end up working in low paying jobs in large cities (Vancouver, Toronto), which is something public sentiment is strongly against at this point.

The next step I imagine is the rules are going to change for the PGWP program (it already is going to be more expensive), and may even get more conditions applied to the type of jobs you can work for under it. This is just the new reality of Canada's immigration program, and probably aligns it closer to the American system which has historically been a lot less generous.

Time will tell in the new EE program whether there are enough persons in the PNP/LMIA pools to fulfill the selection cap they're aiming for. It could be, after a few rounds, the points level come down to a number where CEC applicants have an advantage over others in the pool. What I expect however is more rule changes in the employment based immigration programs that are going to favour either high-skilled immigrants, or low-skill immigrants to rural communities where there are serious labour shortages.

kakhileshreddy

Jan 6, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
CELPIP-spouse-sept 23- same day submitted
AOR Received.
sept 14
Med's Request
sept 24-passed/recv'd
Med's Done....
sept 24
Passport Req..
FEB 24
Hi All,

i am on my PGWP and i am a full time employee for a telecom company here in toronto. do i need to get a LMIA or just a letter from company stating that i am their full time permanent employee will fullfill my needs.

i applied under CEC last nov 2014. i heard the news that i am going to get my application back !!! :eek:

i have IELTS - 7.5
1.5 years full time work experience
married
studied PG diploma here in canada for 2 years
full time employee for Rogers.
bachelors degree's back home(B.Tech - computer science) both me and my wife

please advise whether can i apply for EE with out LMIA.

-AKhilesh.

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
kakhileshreddy said:
Hi All,

i am on my PGWP and i am a full time employee for a telecom company here in toronto. do i need to get a LMIA or just a letter from company stating that i am their full time permanent employee will fullfill my needs.

i applied under CEC last nov 2014. i heard the news that i am going to get my application back !!! :eek:

i have IELTS - 7.5
1.5 years full time work experience
married
studied PG diploma here in canada for 2 years
full time employee for Rogers.
bachelors degree's back home(B.Tech - computer science) both me and my wife

please advise whether can i apply for EE with out LMIA.

-AKhilesh.
You will need an LMIA for your existing job if you want to get the additional 600 points applied to your score.

Dimitris

Star Member
Jan 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2016
Doc's Request.
10-10-2016
Nomination.....
Pending
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
Do we know what is the quota for CEC FEW etc for the 2015?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
good_choice said:
You have made some valid points here except the part about being given the opportunity of a quality education over their locals.
Lmao, their locals don't go to school,only few of them do.
We international students are the ones keeping the schools in business.
Canadians are big on experience and not going to school, that's why you see high school graduates as managers or supervisors in big companies.
Perhaps you should check your facts before spouting such nonsense. Canada has one of the highest education rates in the world, and over half the population has done some form of post-secondary education. If you don't see any Canadians or PR's at your school, perhaps you should question the quality of the institution you are attending.

TrackIT

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
09-03-2017
Med's Done....
29-03-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-07-2017
LANDED..........
24-08-2017
A.B.123 said:
I CANT get lmia now, I only have 3.5 month left before wp expires and can't just start the whole process of getting it tomorrow cause, you know, we have deadlines at work. I could get it in 2013 before I got hired but the Office of Multicultural Affairs told my company that that was not necessary as my wp is "open". Now, I can't, I don't have enough time! I'm not eligible for pnp either. :mad:
Brother !
One friendly advice, if you can risk spending 10000 for ur future then there are some guys who are willing to provide LMIA with job offer again this is at your own risk.
my score will be 379 in july. im not even eligible now n my WP expires next may : technically im done :(
but i will hire these fellows after all my chances fail. below are details:
"GLOBAL HIRE"
Im mentioning again it is at your own risk, but this is only to keep ur faith n try untill all ur doors are closed, because im in same situation n i will try to do every thing possible to get PR.
wish you good luck n hope u get a way out of this !

unclesamy

Star Member
May 11, 2013
TrackIT said:
Brother !
One friendly advice, if you can risk spending 10000 for ur future then there are some guys who are willing to provide LMIA with job offer again this is at your own risk.
my score will be 379 in july. im not even eligible now n my WP expires next may : technically im done :(
but i will hire these fellows after all my chances fail. below are details:
"GLOBAL HIRE"
Im mentioning again it is at your own risk, but this is only to keep ur faith n try untill all ur doors are closed, because im in same situation n i will try to do every thing possible to get PR.
wish you good luck n hope u get a way out of this !
i understand where ur coming from brother and i agree one would do anything for PR ...but see how this new EE system has given preferences to shady practices and is unfair. EE system needs to go away. They will realize the poor system but by then they would have sacrificed lot many good and honest candidates. CIC needs to wake up