Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
The point of opening CEC class for immigration is to attract people who are skilled workers and happened to live in Canada for number of years and have embraced the Canadian culture and lifestyle (Thus more likely to fit into the society than those equally skilled, but never lived in Canada)

These people are largely students (Therefore the whole point of PGWPP is to lead these graduates towards CEC) smaller amount are TFWPs, ICT, IEC, etc.

So now CIC is shutting doors for PGWP with LMIA requirements, while advertising their new system as "Express" and can attract the best of the best to merry into Canadian Labour force. How does that sound?

Graduates and students should not feel entitled to PR opportunities. But CIC is putting TFW who happens to qualify for CEC in front of everyone *1 is screwing up everyone else.

*1 TFWP on LMO-based job gets the 600 points automatically, while everyone else in CEC couldn't have done LMIA within the available time frame. Also consider the first couple draws are likely to require lower scores.

victorxman182

Jan 29, 2015
I'm also an international student on a PGWP but I don't think EE "screwed us".

First of all, Canada doesn't owe us anything for coming here to study. You came here to obtain quality education, that's all. Be grateful that you got a seat in the classroom instead of a local student. You paid taxes but you also enjoyed the benefits of the government services. Remember that when you applied for your study permit you had to provide evidence that you had no intention of staying here permanently. Why do you complain now? Why do you feel entitled to PR just because you paid tuition? You got a degree out of that tuition. If you want to pay to obtain PR then try the Immigrant Investor program. The PGWP is just another benevolence of Canada to you. They recognize that after your studies you could also benefit your career by spending some time in the Canadian workforce.

Now talking about the EE system, it is clear that the system gives great advantage to us already in the Canadian workplace. Having at least one year of Canadian work experience gives you a great points boost. Furthermore, people with PGWP are young and have good command of English, which has a lot of importance in the criteria. This could put your profile easily in the 400+ range. You will certainly be higher than overseas applicants without LMIA.

In terms of obtaining a LMIA, you also have an advantage. You have a Canadian degree and work experience to back you up to convince potential employers. Job searching is easier for you because being here you can attend in-person interviews and do networking.

It's true that small employers could abuse the LMIA process but hopefully the government officers will do a good job. Remember that all those requirements to obtain a LMIA are there specifically to prevent abuses.

Remember that CIC mentioned that there would be a proportion of applications accepted without LMIA or PNP. If that's the case, given the points criteria, you are next in line to get an ITA. Meanwhile we should cover all the bases. i.e. work to get an LMIA or a provincial nomination. If you can't get that, well let's be honest. It means that your profile is not in critical shortage and you can't take the place of a Canadian.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
victorxman182 said:

First of all, Canada doesn't owe us anything for coming here to study. You came here to obtain quality education, that's all. Be grateful that you got a seat in the classroom instead of a local student. You paid taxes but you also enjoyed the benefits of the government services. Remember that when you applied for your study permit you had to provide evidence that you had no intention of staying here permanently. Why do you complain now? Why do you feel entitled to PR just because you paid tuition? You got a degree out of that tuition. If you want to pay to obtain PR then try the Immigrant Investor program. The PGWP is just another benevolence of Canada to you. They recognize that after your studies you could also benefit your career by spending some time in the Canadian workforce.

Now talking about the EE system, it is clear that the system gives great advantage to us already in the Canadian workplace. Having at least one year of Canadian work experience gives you a great points boost. Furthermore, people with PGWP are young and have good command of English, which has a lot of importance in the criteria. This could put your profile easily in the 400+ range. You will certainly be higher than overseas applicants without LMIA.

In terms of obtaining a LMIA, you also have an advantage. You have a Canadian degree and work experience to back you up to convince potential employers. Job searching is easier for you because being here you can attend in-person interviews and do networking.

It's true that small employers could abuse the LMIA process but hopefully the government officers will do a good job. Remember that all those requirements to obtain a LMIA are there specifically to prevent abuses.

Remember that CIC mentioned that there would be a proportion of applications accepted without LMIA or PNP. If that's the case, given the points criteria, you are next in line to get an ITA. Meanwhile we should cover all the bases. i.e. work to get an LMIA or a provincial nomination. If you can't get that, well let's be honest. It means that your profile is not in critical shortage and you can't take the place of a Canadian.
I CANT get lmia now, I only have 3.5 month left before wp expires and can't just start the whole process of getting it tomorrow cause, you know, we have deadlines at work. I could get it in 2013 before I got hired but the Office of Multicultural Affairs told my company that that was not necessary as my wp is "open". Now, I can't, I don't have enough time! I'm not eligible for pnp either. :mad:

unclesamy

Star Member
May 11, 2013
First of all, Canada doesn't owe us anything for coming here to study. You came here to obtain quality education, that's all. Be grateful that you got a seat in the classroom instead of a local student. You paid taxes but you also enjoyed the benefits of the government services.
u know u should tell this to colleges who r paying lots of money to the agents to send international students their way. colleges r charging three times more for international students in fees.

yes but ur behind overseas applicants with LMIA. i dont know if u understand the problem or u just hater who hates immigrants. there is a saying nobody hates immigrants more than immigrants themselves.

true but companies hire pgwp people as they dont want the hassel of LMIA now companies will just layoff people after their pgwp expires kinda like extortion. like use them till u can then move on to another candidate.

lol when does the government employees do a good job?

so its like keep our fingers crossed and get lucky or else our number wont come up.

TimB91

Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,

My main question with regards to this topic is the scoring system applied to international students on their PGWP; I would love some input from you all. This is my current situation:

- Graduated from a Canadian university with a Bachelor of Commerce.
- Began working 1 week after my last exam, currently 2 years into my 3-year PGWP
- Working in a management role at one of the largest Fortune-500 companies in Canada
- Married a Canadian woman 10 months ago (she is also full-time employed in a consulting job at a large firm)
- Scored 47/48 on my CELPIP

Overall Score: 444 - Qualifying for Federal Skilled Worker and Canadian Experience

Now I understand and appreciate that it is a 'gift' from the Canadian government to offer any of us PR; we don't 'deserve' it. However, it just seems that I should qualify for more than 444 points - I would assume that I possess a lot of skills this government is looking for.

Also, is anyone aware if there is some way that I can include my Canadian spouse in my application? Why would a non-Canadian spouse add value to the score while a Canadian spouse does not?

Would appreciate any all all feedback - thanks in advance!

PK_11

Sep 18, 2014
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-03-2016
Doc's Request.
16-09-2016 (RPRF)
Nomination.....
01-02-2016
AOR Received.
12-04-2016
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
10-03-2017
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Not Reqd as of now
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
InLand Applicant
A.B.123 said:
I CANT get lmia now, I only have 3.5 month left before wp expires and can't just start the whole process of getting it tomorrow cause, you know, we have deadlines at work. I could get it in 2013 before I got hired but the Office of Multicultural Affairs told my company that that was not necessary as my wp is "open". Now, I can't, I don't have enough time! I'm not eligible for pnp either. :mad:

Y u r not eligible for pnp ? U r still eligible.. U can try.. U have 3.5 months in hand.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PK_11 said:
Y u r not eligible for pnp ? U r still eligible.. U can try.. U have 3.5 months in hand.
Neither my employer nor myself meet all the requirements to be eligible for pnp.

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
A.B.123 said:
Neither my employer nor myself meet all the requirements to be eligible for pnp.
If you're not eligible for PNP and your employer can't get you an LMIA then you have 2 options:

1) Find an employer/job that will get you an LMIA/PNP.

2) Cross your fingers that your profile will get selected on base points before the end of your permit.

good_choice

Jan 31, 2015
victorxman182 said:

You have made some valid points here except the part about being given the opportunity of a quality education over their locals.
Lmao, their locals don't go to school,only few of them do.
We international students are the ones keeping the schools in business.
Canadians are big on experience and not going to school, that's why you see high school graduates as managers or supervisors in big companies.
They value experience more than education, if you like have a Phd, they are particular about what you are able to do.
I think US respects degrees more and you actually get jobs that befits your qualification.
In my previous job, my director only did a short technical course of 1 month and ITIL certification and he made so much money more then the international students with their numerous degrees.

traxton

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
Also, why should we be forced to leave our current decent-paying, qualification-matching jobs with reputable MNCs (who unfortunately are unable to issue LMIAs) which to begin with we interviewed for alongside a whole bunch of other qualified Canadian/non-Canadian candidates and clinched the job because we are the best candidate out of the interview pool? Despite all that effort and us obviously doing well in our jobs to be continually employed, CIC is expecting us to abandon these jobs altogether, subscribe to some "job bank" and take on a whole new role at a potentially dodgy company which might not fit our career path / ambitions just to get LMIA and PR?

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
traxton said:
Also, why should we be forced to leave our current decent-paying, qualification-matching jobs with reputable MNCs (who unfortunately are unable to issue LMIAs) which to begin with we interviewed for alongside a whole bunch of other qualified Canadian/non-Canadian candidates and clinched the job because we are the best candidate out of the interview pool? Despite all that effort and us obviously doing well in our jobs to be continually employed, CIC is expecting us to abandon these jobs altogether, subscribe to some "job bank" and take on a whole new role at a potentially dodgy company which might not fit our career path / ambitions just to get LMIA and PR?
Because you are not a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident and only have the temporary privilege to work. Even if you are the best candidate for the job, Canadians take precedence, it's as simple as that.

Hence the advantage given to LMIA holders and the difficulty in obtaining them, it shows there is a genuine need for you and your skills in the country and you won't be taking away a position for a Canadian.

AAA2133

Dec 17, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2015
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
28-09-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
21-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-09-2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
24-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
11-03-2016
victorxman182 said:

Totally agree. Take it guys .