+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Discuss Alternative routes for CSQ inland applicants.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hello, @cherti,

I am new in this thread, and I saw your post. Currently in Quebec and have already been issued CSQ and SIN (OWP Holder). However, RAMQ seems to be giving us a hard time-- that we need to wait for the actual PR Card. How did you go about this and have them issue?

Thanks.
I didn't get a CSQ yet :) see my signature.

I am on a closed temporary work permit. RAMQ gave health card after the usual wait period of 3 months.

us1313

Apr 10, 2017
Hello @Mutato_KT

Just to add some information, I am in the same situation as @cherti . I am in Quebec on a closed temporary work permit and waiting my CSQ. I got my RAMQ card after approx 2-3 months. I think you are having a headache with RAMQ bcuz you are on a Open Work Permit, but as soon as you receive your CSQ, they should accept your application easily.

Regards,

Mutato_KT

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
QC
Category........
FAM
Hello @Mutato_KT

Just to add some information, I am in the same situation as @cherti . I am in Quebec on a closed temporary work permit and waiting my CSQ. I got my RAMQ card after approx 2-3 months. I think you are having a headache with RAMQ bcuz you are on a Open Work Permit, but as soon as you receive your CSQ, they should accept your application easily.

Regards,
Thanks, @cherti, @us1313.

I went to RAMQ and we can get the Medicare only if I start working on a permanent hire status. Oh well...

iluvtomorrowland

Jun 28, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm in same fudge here. I wanted to apply for express entry, even created my profile but I received a job offer from Montreal last year.

I landed last month on closed work permit and so far have applied for RAMQ and SIN. My job status is permanent and LMIA + CAQ was issued to me. As for the work permit, employer will extend it in case I don't receive permanent residency after 2 years, which is unlikely for QSW.

I'm really not sure if I should pursue QSW or express entry. So far, I have seen mixed statements from people across the forums. Express entry will certainly save a lot of time which directly contributes to time spent in Canada for citizenship requirements. On the contrary, Quebec seems to be slow everywhere, be it CSQ, comparative evaluation, Federal PR etc.

I really want to move to Toronto as I don't speak French but closed work permit won't allow me. Also, I have signed an apartment lease for a year which makes it even more unlikely to move out of Quebec for at least a year.

Express entry seems to give me 50 points towards Quebec LMIA which takes me to a CRS of 477. I'm sure I'll get an ITA with that CRS but not sure what will I furnish to support my intentions to move out of Quebec.

I'd really appreciate your views on this matter and lastly, I'd like to apply for CSQ at least in the Month of June if express entry doesn't work out. Thanks.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hi guys,

I'm in same fudge here. I wanted to apply for express entry, even created my profile but I received a job offer from Montreal last year.

I landed last month on closed work permit and so far have applied for RAMQ and SIN. My job status is permanent and LMIA + CAQ was issued to me. As for the work permit, employer will extend it in case I don't receive permanent residency after 2 years, which is unlikely for QSW.

I'm really not sure if I should pursue QSW or express entry. So far, I have seen mixed statements from people across the forums. Express entry will certainly save a lot of time which directly contributes to time spent in Canada for citizenship requirements. On the contrary, Quebec seems to be slow everywhere, be it CSQ, comparative evaluation, Federal PR etc.

I really want to move to Toronto as I don't speak French but closed work permit won't allow me. Also, I have signed an apartment lease for a year which makes it even more unlikely to move out of Quebec for at least a year.

Express entry seems to give me 50 points towards Quebec LMIA which takes me to a CRS of 477. I'm sure I'll get an ITA with that CRS but not sure what will I furnish to support my intentions to move out of Quebec.

I'd really appreciate your views on this matter and lastly, I'd like to apply for CSQ at least in the Month of June if express entry doesn't work out. Thanks.
Your situation and mine should be a stark reminder and a big red flag for anyone who is planning to work in Quebec in a closed temporary work permit. Avoid Quebec like a plague.

Since MIDI of Quebec is very unpredictable, any temporary workers in Quebec should anticipate to be in this pickle. Quebec of all provinces based immigration dept is the least transparent in their policies and processes of selecting immigrants, because as with everything else, Quebec is "different".

Just like you, I am also in the same situation with a closed work permit, but I dont have much time left in my work permit. My work permit expires this year. I have submitted my CSQ application long back and still waiting for CSQ. I dont think I will get CSQ in time to renew my work permit.

I am testing my luck and applied for Express Entry and will move out if I get it. There are many many reasons I don't want to work in Quebec. I think you will realize it very soon that living in Quebec is not a good idea for highly skilled professionals who cannot speak French. There is a reason why Quebec looks so poor and dilapidated, the reasons beyond the scope of this thread.

As for applying EE from Quebec, there are quirks to it. The main thing is proving your intention to move out of Quebec.

I did not claim LMIA points for my EE. According to my research and advice from this forum, the LMIA points claim will defeat the purpose of convincing the visa officer about your intention to move out of Quebec. You are claiming LMIA points from an employer in Quebec and telling the officer that you plan to live outside Quebec which is kind of self defeating.

So I did not use my LMIA points. I am hoping I will get an ITA in the next 2 draws with my points. The worst case is that my EE will get rejected, but its not misrepresentation so I guess its OK to get rejected. So it depends on luck and convincing the visa officer examining the application.

Its better to fail fast than fail later.

Reactions: skye

HarrisZhou

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
Your situation and mine should be a stark reminder and a big red flag for anyone who is planning to work in Quebec in a closed temporary work permit. Avoid Quebec like a plague.

Since MIDI of Quebec is very unpredictable, any temporary workers in Quebec should anticipate to be in this pickle. Quebec of all provinces based immigration dept is the least transparent in their policies and processes of selecting immigrants, because as with everything else, Quebec is "different".

Just like you, I am also in the same situation with a closed work permit, but I dont have much time left in my work permit. My work permit expires this year. I have submitted my CSQ application long back and still waiting for CSQ. I dont think I will get CSQ in time to renew my work permit.

I am testing my luck and applied for Express Entry and will move out if I get it. There are many many reasons I don't want to work in Quebec. I think you will realize it very soon that living in Quebec is not a good idea for highly skilled professionals who cannot speak French. There is a reason why Quebec looks so poor and dilapidated, the reasons beyond the scope of this thread.

As for applying EE from Quebec, there are quirks to it. The main thing is proving your intention to move out of Quebec.

I did not claim LMIA points for my EE. According to my research and advice from this forum, the LMIA points claim will defeat the purpose of convincing the visa officer about your intention to move out of Quebec. You are claiming LMIA points from an employer in Quebec and telling the officer that you plan to live outside Quebec which is kind of self defeating.

So I did not use my LMIA points. I am hoping I will get an ITA in the next 2 draws with my points. The worst case is that my EE will get rejected, but its not misrepresentation so I guess its OK to get rejected. So it depends on luck and convincing the visa officer examining the application.

Hi, buddy. I saw you many times in this forum. It seems you finally dicided to leave montreal and give express entry a try. I am in similar situation as you, but I got refused by PEQ and now I am waiting for the checklist of QSW. Just would like to ask have you ever contacted the immigation department of Canada to know whether it is legal to apply under enpress entry in Quebec?

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hi, buddy. I saw you many times in this forum. It seems you finally dicided to leave montreal and give express entry a try. I am in similar situation as you, but I got refused by PEQ and now I am waiting for the checklist of QSW. Just would like to ask have you ever contacted the immigration department of Canada to know whether it is legal to apply under enpress entry in Quebec?
Its not wise to take advice from call center agents of CIC. So I would not rely on them to give a proper answer. So no, I did not call contact them.

As per this FAQ, it is legal and you should plan to live elsewhere. Next ITA, I will apply and try my luck. Coming on temporary work in Quebec was a big mistake.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=382&top=29

Can I apply under the Canadian Experience Class if I am currently living in Quebec and I plan to live elsewhere in Canada?
Yes. You can apply and count your work experience in Quebec.

iluvtomorrowland

Jun 28, 2017

Thank you so much for replying, really appreciate. This whole landscape looks like a dark mist. I get your point about claiming points for LMIA, I guess I'll wait for a year to claim points for experience.

Even I want to move out of Quebec, primary reason being inability to speak French. Toronto or Vancouver would have been ideal but instead of worrying about that, I'd like to analyze my current situation and proceed further accordingly. My colleague received his CSQ last year and his processing time was 6 months. Currently, he is on federal stage.

Are you on a permanent job here or temporary contract? You shouldn't be worrying about work permit extension if you're on permanent as it's employer headache.

Also, I've another doubt. Is there a minimum time period I've to spend in Quebec before applying for CSQ? I completed online evaluation and it seems to take me through provided my stay in Quebec was more than 3 months but I was going through another contradictory statement which is as follows :-

Temporary foreign worker
The regular program applies to you if you were legally admitted to Québec as a temporary worker for one or more consecutive periods totalling at least one year.

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/index.html

I'm not sure if I should be considering myself as a temporary worker or permanent as my job offer is indeed permanent but visa is valid for 2 years.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Thank you so much for replying, really appreciate. This whole landscape looks like a dark mist. I get your point about claiming points for LMIA, I guess I'll wait for a year to claim points for experience.

Even I want to move out of Quebec, primary reason being inability to speak French. Toronto or Vancouver would have been ideal but instead of worrying about that, I'd like to analyze my current situation and proceed further accordingly. My colleague received his CSQ last year and his processing time was 6 months. Currently, he is on federal stage.

Are you on a permanent job here or temporary contract? You shouldn't be worrying about work permit extension if you're on permanent as it's employer headache.

Also, I've another doubt. Is there a minimum time period I've to spend in Quebec before applying for CSQ? I completed online evaluation and it seems to take me through provided my stay in Quebec was more than 3 months but I was going through another contradictory statement which is as follows :-

Temporary foreign worker
The regular program applies to you if you were legally admitted to Québec as a temporary worker for one or more consecutive periods totalling at least one year.

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/index.html

I'm not sure if I should be considering myself as a temporary worker or permanent as my job offer is indeed permanent but visa is valid for 2 years.
Before last year, CSQs were being issued within 6 months. They screwed up in 2017. There was change of immigration minister and influx of refugees from US. The reasons are unknown, unless someone files Freedom of Information or something. Then again, this doesn't concern citizens, so no one really cares what MIDI does except prospective applicants like us.

I am on permanent job, meaning the employer is willing to extend the work permit. I have good rapport with the employer and they can't run their IT applications or cloud infrastructure without me. So they will extend my permit for sure.

My concern is not about extending, its about my spouse not able to find a better job. She is non IT and beginner. Not knowing French and not having a PR is a big hindrance for employers to hire her as full time employee.

>> The regular program applies to you if you were legally admitted to Québec as a temporary worker for one or more consecutive periods totalling at least one year.

This means your temporary work permit should be valid for one year or more which I think it is.

You can start your application after 3 months of residence in Quebec.

But wait for March end, I think they are changing rules by March end or going to introduce some points based express entry like system and throwing out FCFS system. Its my guess. This change will either be in our favor or will be against non French speakers. Have to wait and see.

iluvtomorrowland

Jun 28, 2017
Before last year, CSQs were being issued within 6 months. They screwed up in 2017. There was change of immigration minister and influx of refugees from US. The reasons are unknown, unless someone files Freedom of Information or something. Then again, this doesn't concern citizens, so no one really cares what MIDI does except prospective applicants like us.

I am on permanent job, meaning the employer is willing to extend the work permit. I have good rapport with the employer and they can't run their IT applications or cloud infrastructure without me. So they will extend my permit for sure.

My concern is not about extending, its about my spouse not able to find a better job. She is non IT and beginner. Not knowing French and not having a PR is a big hindrance for employers to hire her as full time employee.

>> The regular program applies to you if you were legally admitted to Québec as a temporary worker for one or more consecutive periods totalling at least one year.

This means your temporary work permit should be valid for one year or more which I think it is.

You can start your application after 3 months of residence in Quebec.

But wait for March end, I think they are changing rules by March end or going to introduce some points based express entry like system and throwing out FCFS system. Its my guess. This change will either be in our favor or will be against non French speakers. Have to wait and see.
That's rank. I can understand what you must be going through. Being kept in dark by MIDI is certainly frustrating and I'm about to follow the same path.

I hope new system doesn't make it worse for non French speakers, if not better. I landed last month and I'm going to start my CSQ application in June anyway. Hopefully by then, we will have clear picture of what they are going to implement.

And yeah, my work permit is valid for 2 years.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been waiting for your CSQ? When did you apply and what stage are you at?

HarrisZhou

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
Its not wise to take advice from call center agents of CIC. So I would not rely on them to give a proper answer. So no, I did not call contact them.

As per this FAQ, it is legal and you should plan to live elsewhere. Next ITA, I will apply and try my luck. Coming on temporary work in Quebec was a big mistake.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=382&top=29

Can I apply under the Canadian Experience Class if I am currently living in Quebec and I plan to live elsewhere in Canada?
Yes. You can apply and count your work experience in Quebec.
Could you share your experience after you have suceeded to get selected under expresse entry and settle down in Ontario (or other provinces)? I guess I will follow the same routine to try the express entry. Just too much concern about the house, car, job and so many other stuff. The good news is I am single so I do not need to worry about wife's job. Good luck!

mrlook

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Category........
QSW
App. Filed.......
04-04-2018
Hello Guys,
I live in Montreal. I heard a few people applied for Express Entry and got their PR. They are still living in Quebec.

amitkaushik

May 27, 2017
Hi,
here is my very recent experience, maybe you will find it helpful. I became a temporary worker in Quebec in 2015. Decided I want to apply for PR not too long ago (end of year 2016.) I did not apply for CSQ, decided to go through express entry and move out of Quebec if required. I got selected and applied under the CEC class for PR in April 2017. The application went smoothly and I did my landing in Toronto few weeks ago. During all this time I was and I am still employed in Quebec. The officer in Toronto did not seem to care about my address being in Quebec.

So in short, you can get the federal PR even while still being in Quebec.

There is a downside, that I don't have the CSQ. So far I run into issue with RAMQ, that I am not eligible to get public health insurance in Quebec. You can pay for private health insurance though. Living and working here seems to be OK. There are probably other benefits I can not get, but as a short term solution I am fine with that.

If anyone has this experience - I don't know and would like to know, if there is any option to obtain CSQ after you became PR through other than Quebec classes?

Hi Haw23,

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Did you do landing at Airport Toronto or took an appointment by calling CIC. I am also in the same situation like yours and was scared to go to CIC officer to get the PR (I already have got CoPR) as I am still in Quebec and working.

Is there any specific reason you did the landing in Toronto as I was thinking of doing that in Ottawa since it is close to Montreal.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks!