+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CPP-Ottawa

flyonthewall

Aug 20, 2012
There has to be a waiting period, because they HAVE to screen people. We have enough trouble with people coming and taxing the welfare and health care system.

I expected our application to be quick too, but it hasn't been. My husband is a born and raised US Citizen, I am Canadian, born and raised. We submitted in January, were approved as a sponsor early May. The second step started July 31. I haven't heard anything since and we sent them everything they needed, including photos from the last 12 years of our relationship. I don't expect to hear anything until Christmas - that was the "estimated" processing time by our friend the immigration lawyer (no, he didn't do our application, he said our case was too easy to charge us!0.

I'm impatient, but they are currently within their posted time lines, so what can you do? I'll worry when we've exceeded their estimations.

BTW: Where is everyone seeing the times for CPP-O? I can see Ottawa VO but my understanding was that they are two different things?

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
flyonthewall said:
There has to be a waiting period, because they HAVE to screen people. We have enough trouble with people coming and taxing the welfare and health care system.

I expected our application to be quick too, but it hasn't been. My husband is a born and raised US Citizen, I am Canadian, born and raised. We submitted in January, were approved as a sponsor early May. The second step started July 31. I haven't heard anything since and we sent them everything they needed, including photos from the last 12 years of our relationship. I don't expect to hear anything until Christmas - that was the "estimated" processing time by our friend the immigration lawyer (no, he didn't do our application, he said our case was too easy to charge us!0.

I'm impatient, but they are currently within their posted time lines, so what can you do? I'll worry when we've exceeded their estimations.

BTW: Where is everyone seeing the times for CPP-O? I can see Ottawa VO but my understanding was that they are two different things?
1st No there should not be waiting,
2nd everyone signed an agreement, non will use the welfare and if they do they will pay!
3rd it is not everything the government tells us is a fact!
4th there are solutions if they really seek them
5th why should we have to always put up with this incompetent government!!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Dr Eng X said:
I actually disagree with both of you. Wait time should be zero period end of story. Any B.S. we get from CIC is not reasonable. If it does not make a difference to some of you ..it does to others
The solutions are there if they want!!!
Better ten innocent couples suffer than one guilty couple enter Canada.

I was merely commenting on the current state of affairs, not on the system itself (although I recently was taken to task by an attorney with Justice Canada for expressing my own frustrations and reservations with the current systems. It seems that such outspoken disagreement is not welcome in Canada.)

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
Better ten innocent couples suffer than one guilty couple enter Canada.

I was merely commenting on the current state of affairs, not on the system itself (although I recently was taken to task by an attorney with Justice Canada for expressing my own frustrations and reservations with the current systems. It seems that such outspoken disagreement is not welcome in Canada.)
Thanks for the clarification...What does that say? A government who refused to be interogated, a government for the first time in history gets kicked out and early elections are held...a government comes back with majority...

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Dr Eng X said:
Thanks for the clarification...What does that say? A government who refused to be interogated, a government for the first time in history gets kicked out and early elections are held...a government comes back with majority...
Sadly, it says that Canada appears to be following the United States down the road towards greater and greater governmental control. :-[

apstone

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-4-2012
File Transfer...
27-7-2012
Med's Done....
10-3-2012
So we have a lot of stories on here about long processing time coming out of CPP-O. Is there anyone who has made it through in a timely manner, or at least have had good progress? My file just got transferred there at the end of July, I was hoping to be done by end of November.

Spreadsheets up, or anyone thinking of starting one?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
apstone said:
So we have a lot of stories on here about long processing time coming out of CPP-O. Is there anyone who has made it through in a timely manner, or at least have had good progress? My file just got transferred there at the end of July, I was hoping to be done by end of November.

Spreadsheets up, or anyone thinking of starting one?
CPP-O just inherited things from Buffalo in June, so after four months I wouldn't expect us to have heard much. I think the old Buffalo spreadsheet is around and it should be applicable to CPP-O, plus I've seen an LA spreadsheet kicking around.

apstone

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-4-2012
File Transfer...
27-7-2012
Med's Done....
10-3-2012
I would hope some people would at least be "in process". That being said, I know some people go through their whole app with still being "application received". It's just a very hard thing to stomach when some cases are done in 3-4 months after transfer while others languish around for 10+ months. I know it is in the range on the CIC website, but doesn't make it any more acceptable.

I am a carpenter by trade, but I have a degree in urban planning, but I am thinking of going into construction management so I can work under NAFTA while my PR application is going on. 12 months is simply too long to put careers on hold

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
I'm scared to say my visa office is Ottawa too after reading all these posts :-\

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
apstone said:
I would hope some people would at least be "in process". That being said, I know some people go through their whole app with still being "application received". It's just a very hard thing to stomach when some cases are done in 3-4 months after transfer while others languish around for 10+ months. I know it is in the range on the CIC website, but doesn't make it any more acceptable.

I am a carpenter by trade, but I have a degree in urban planning, but I am thinking of going into construction management so I can work under NAFTA while my PR application is going on. 12 months is simply too long to put careers on hold
well, I can't have my wife because she is not from Visa waiver...so we have to stay apart!

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lunas said:
I'm scared to say my visa office is Ottawa too after reading all these posts :-\
I was very disappointed when CIC agent told me waiting time in Ottawa was 12months and it is expected to increase. My MP won't interfer still within processing times!!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
apstone said:

I've been wandering around through the immigration quagmire for 39 months, so I definitely understand your comment. There is a point you reach at which you seriously question whether or not anything in the world is worth this. I've been fortunate - I've been working under NAFTA for 37 of those 39 months and I find myself routinely counseling US applicants to get a NAFTA qualifying position if they can. Indeed, I've suggested some creative approaches to legally working in Canada (have your spouse start a business and then get an LMO to hire you. After all, who else in the world has more reason to want you to be working?) It's better than waiting half world away for years, or even sitting at home waiting for CIC to finish processing paperwork.

Then I run into people who have been waiting longer - like the poor soul who has been waiting six years for his inland application to be completed. When queried, CIC just says everything is fine and they will be in touch with him.

Indeed, what I find is that the "black box" nature of CIC is one of the worst aspects. Something that is a fundamental life altering process requires that you sit and wait patiently for months or years really will drive most anyone insane at some point. The doubt and uncertainty of it all can be overwhelming at times. Last week I actually spoke to a visa officer. It is the first time I have ever talked to anyone from CIC and oddly I found myself profoundly grateful that she had reviewed my application (albeit just one of the four that's floating around at the moment) and was actually sympathetic. It doesn't make up for 3+ years of mostly silence with a little bit of dismissive, boiler plate correspondence, but it helped me realize there are real human beings trying to do their best within a large bureaucratic organization that is constantly being squeezed to do more work with fewer resources.

I'm actually lucky now, because I've at least gone to the "in process" stage. I suspect that what little pressure I can bring to bear on CIC is actually making things happen faster than normal, but I also suspect I could be wrong. Only time will tell.

Best of luck to everyone!

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
Dr Eng X said:
I was very disappointed when CIC agent told me waiting time in Ottawa was 12months and it is expected to increase. My MP won't interfer still within processing times!!
I hear ya. I am giving up on having a family already. I don't want to have a family and live far from my husband and we are past our 30's already. :-[
I'm just holding on to the thought we are both healthy (so far) and I can see him every three or four months.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
I've been wandering around through the immigration quagmire for 39 months, so I definitely understand your comment. There is a point you reach at which you seriously question whether or not anything in the world is worth this. I've been fortunate - I've been working under NAFTA for 37 of those 39 months and I find myself routinely counseling US applicants to get a NAFTA qualifying position if they can. Indeed, I've suggested some creative approaches to legally working in Canada (have your spouse start a business and then get an LMO to hire you. After all, who else in the world has more reason to want you to be working?) It's better than waiting half world away for years, or even sitting at home waiting for CIC to finish processing paperwork.

Then I run into people who have been waiting longer - like the poor soul who has been waiting six years for his inland application to be completed. When queried, CIC just says everything is fine and they will be in touch with him.

Indeed, what I find is that the "black box" nature of CIC is one of the worst aspects. Something that is a fundamental life altering process requires that you sit and wait patiently for months or years really will drive most anyone insane at some point. The doubt and uncertainty of it all can be overwhelming at times. Last week I actually spoke to a visa officer. It is the first time I have ever talked to anyone from CIC and oddly I found myself profoundly grateful that she had reviewed my application (albeit just one of the four that's floating around at the moment) and was actually sympathetic. It doesn't make up for 3+ years of mostly silence with a little bit of dismissive, boiler plate correspondence, but it helped me realize there are real human beings trying to do their best within a large bureaucratic organization that is constantly being squeezed to do more work with fewer resources.
I'm actually lucky now, because I've at least gone to the "in process" stage. I suspect that what little pressure I can bring to bear on CIC is actually making things happen faster than normal, but I also suspect I could be wrong. Only time will tell.

Best of luck to everyone!
Any ideas for using NAFTA to work and live in US for a mechanical engineering master degree holder from US :) !

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Dr Eng X said:
Any ideas for using NAFTA to work and live in US for a mechanical engineering master degree holder from US :) !
Unfortunately, NAFTA only applies to US, Canadian and Mexican citizens. But professionals with engineering degrees are certainly on the NAFTA list.