+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
@ryeCatcher , I am guessing you are in the US. I am new to this forum and I've gone through various posts to gain some context. Your thoughts will be helpful - my CoPR expires on 9th May and I will not be able to travel and self isolate in Canada for 14 days. Do you know of any cases where people living in the US have extended/sought a delayed travel? The reason I'm asking this is because I read here on the forum that someone in the US was denied an extension because of there being no travel restrictions between Canada and USA.
Hi , did you travel? my COPR expires on the same day as well and i cancelled my trip which i scheduled on march 26th from US.

May 10, 2019
Guys My COPR is expiring on 16th April 2020, i had confirmed tickets with BA today...however owing to COVID 19 am unable to travel with travel restrictions in place both in india and in Canada...

Restrictions are getting lifted on 14th hence we plan to travel on 15th and arrive canada on 16th which is what is mentioned as my date of expiry "COPR"

Question 1> Is that Ok to land on 16th ...expiry date would mean before it becomes 16th or end of 16th 23:59HRS ?
Question 2> My PNP is Ontario and mentioned in the COPR as well...but am getting way cheaper tickets for vancouver...can we land in vancouver and then move to toronto the next day ...at least my landing would have completed...?

Kindly help advise

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I’ve just received an e-mail from the consulate and they told me there won’t be any penalty for not being able to fly. I stated that my reason was that I would not like to take the risk of getting the COVID-19 while in transit to Canada.
I would be very careful about that. Not wanting to fly and being unable to fly are two different things.

If you get written confirmation saying you will be not penalized or that they accept your reason not to fly, that’s fine. But it doesn’t mean someone else might get that allowance as well, you need to send a webform to verify IRCC directly accepts your reason not to fly specifically in your case.

I would not go by just what the consulate has said.

I’m telling you this purely so everyone takes their precautions. Only delay landing when you are sure IRCC accept giving you an extension specifically.

I’m afraid people who just assume they will get an extension without checking with IRCC may get a shock.

Ziyad

Jul 29, 2019
I would be very careful about that. Not wanting to fly and being unable to fly are two different things.

If you get written confirmation saying you will be not penalized or that they accept your reason not to fly, that’s fine. But it doesn’t mean someone else might get that allowance as well, you need to send a webform to verify IRCC directly accepts your reason not to fly specifically in your case.

I’m telling you this purely so everyone takes their precautions. Only delay landing when you are sure IRCC accept giving you an extension specifically.

I’m afraid people who just assume they will get an extension without checking with IRCC may get a shock.
I think it would be very inconsiderate of IRCC to penalize approved applicants who wish not to fly at this time even though they do not have any travel restrictions in their country of origin.

The situation around the world is severe and I am confident that they will provide sufficient time to travel once it becomes safer to travel. My only concern right now is the time period that could potentially take to get the extension especially if they expect us to do the medical again.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I forgot the name of the member, but yes he/she posted in this thread that their extension request was denied. Thry posted the message from IRCC as well.
@Islander216

I have gone through this thread and I couldn't find such a post. Not saying its not possible, but seems unlikely (or something case specific perhaps) given the mountain of evidence suggesting otherwise. IRCC in their own exemptions state :

With travel restrictions in place in many countries around the world and international air travel reduced during the COVID-19 outbreak, we don’t recommend that those who are exempt from travel restrictions immediately try to travel to Canada.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
@ryeCatcher , I am guessing you are in the US. I am new to this forum and I've gone through various posts to gain some context. Your thoughts will be helpful - my CoPR expires on 9th May and I will not be able to travel and self isolate in Canada for 14 days. Do you know of any cases where people living in the US have extended/sought a delayed travel? The reason I'm asking this is because I read here on the forum that someone in the US was denied an extension because of there being no travel restrictions between Canada and USA.
@j9lad

Sadly I do not, I am also scanning all forums to see if someone living in the US reports back their response, but so far seems generic responses only :( .
I have seen (I forget here or on facebook groups) folks in India have gotten specific response confirming that COPRs will be extended.

I will say this though, unless the virus situation changes drastically in the next 2-3 months, I do not see the self isolation restrictions relaxed for international travel. As for being denied an extension, its possible, but I suspect unlikely given the unprecedented nature of Covid19.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
You can enter Canada with COPR, but you can't do flagpole landing to get your PR.
Exactly these are two different things.
Travel to Canada from the US via land border with COPR is definitely possible per their guidance (though sadly it is possible that CBSA is not clearly up to date with the policy).

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Guys My COPR is expiring on 16th April 2020, i had confirmed tickets with BA today...however owing to COVID 19 am unable to travel with travel restrictions in place both in india and in Canada...

Restrictions are getting lifted on 14th hence we plan to travel on 15th and arrive canada on 16th which is what is mentioned as my date of expiry "COPR"

Question 1> Is that Ok to land on 16th ...expiry date would mean before it becomes 16th or end of 16th 23:59HRS ?
Question 2> My PNP is Ontario and mentioned in the COPR as well...but am getting way cheaper tickets for vancouver...can we land in vancouver and then move to toronto the next day ...at least my landing would have completed...?

Kindly help advise
Answer 1> Yes, it is OK to land on the date of your CoPR expiry before 23:59 hours

Answer 2> As a PNP candidate, it is always better to land in the correct province for which you had been nominated. In the case of certain provinces such as Alberta, where it is difficult to find direct flights, it is generally acceptable to to land in any other province as long as you can convince the immigration officer of your intention to settle in the designated province of nomination. As long as you have an air ticket for onward travel, there should be no issues.
With this being said, there are a lot of changes in policy due to COVID19. The rules of self-isolation may apply when you land in Vancouver and you might not be allowed to travel onwards during those 14 days.

Reactions: CountessO

umizhou1990

Mar 31, 2020
I hope this will be helpful for CoPRs in the US who wants to enter via land border. My husband and I just landed yesterday from peace bridge. I called and confirmed with the Canadian side a couple of times before we travel. The land border is open for CoPRs 24/7 currently. However, please call and confirm before you travel and things change everyday.

They tended to not accept any "soft landing" cases and you have to quarantine for 14 days. If you are staying with your any relatives, anyone in the house hold applies to that 14 days quarantine rules. It means that no one can go out for anything, even getting groceries. You have to have others deliver groceries to you. Any violation will end up having 10 year in jail and up to 10 million penalty. They are taking this very seriously.

For anyone who is trying to do soft landing and travel back to the US. Obviously, you cannot travel back during those 14 days quarantine time. When you land, they will double triple check on how long you will be staying in Canada. They will only process CoPRs who has a place to stay in Canada and tended to move here for good.

If you are driving your own car and wanted to export and import the car. Please please please make sure that you process all the export document from the US side. It is a long process. We didn't do that and plan to import our car next time as goods to follow. The officer questioned us on why the export process was not done and the car we are driving should be on our goods to come list since we are driving it.

If you have anything to ship over or to drive over at a later time, make sure you make a list for the goods to follow.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I hope this will be helpful for CoPRs in the US who wants to enter via land border. My husband and I just landed yesterday from peace bridge. I called and confirmed with the Canadian side a couple of times before we travel. The land border is open for CoPRs 24/7 currently. However, please call and confirm before you travel and things change everyday.

They tended to not accept any "soft landing" cases and you have to quarantine for 14 days. If you are staying with your any relatives, anyone in the house hold applies to that 14 days quarantine rules. It means that no one can go out for anything, even getting groceries. You have to have others deliver groceries to you. Any violation will end up having 10 year in jail and up to 10 million penalty. They are taking this very seriously.

For anyone who is trying to do soft landing and travel back to the US. Obviously, you cannot travel back during those 14 days quarantine time. When you land, they will double triple check on how long you will be staying in Canada. They will only process CoPRs who has a place to stay in Canada and tended to move here for good.

If you are driving your own car and wanted to export and import the car. Please please please make sure that you process all the export document from the US side. It is a long process. We didn't do that and plan to import our car next time as goods to follow. The officer questioned us on why the export process was not done and the car we are driving should be on our goods to come list since we are driving it.

If you have anything to ship over or to drive over at a later time, make sure you make a list for the goods to follow.
Thank you so much for sharing, this is very useful information!

Congratulations on finishing your landing!

What did you finally end up doing with your car, was it in goods to follow finally?

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
@Islander216

I have gone through this thread and I couldn't find such a post. Not saying its not possible, but seems unlikely (or something case specific perhaps) given the mountain of evidence suggesting otherwise. IRCC in their own exemptions state :

With travel restrictions in place in many countries around the world and international air travel reduced during the COVID-19 outbreak, we don’t recommend that those who are exempt from travel restrictions immediately try to travel to Canada.
Are you sure that you have gone through this thread? On the first page you find the post you're looking for. @bhavind , it'd be great if you could let us know what happened next.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

umizhou1990

Mar 31, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing, this is very useful information!

Congratulations on finishing your landing!

What did you finally end up doing with your car, was it in goods to follow finally?
Yes, the officers said they will not give us a hard time since everything is so uncertain with the virus. But we need to make sure that we get everything ready next time.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Are you sure that you have gone through this thread? On the first page you find the post you're looking for. @bhavind , it'd be great if you could let us know what happened next.
Yikes my bad.
Not sure how I missed that, for reference here is the post :

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-and-coronavirus.681880/#post-8541271

Thats definitely a really bad sign.
That said, this was before the current guidance where IRCC themselves have said do not travel, but yeah would love to hear from @bhavind

Reactions: j9lad and wick_sran

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020

I don't understand why would IRCC be so irrational. It is clearly an extraordinary situation and the fear is justified for people travelling.afterall there are advisories against travel world over. @bhavind had asked for an extension on March 08 and in these 23 days the world has changed drastically. CANADA has themselves imposed so many restrictions.Half the world is under lockdown.Why would they be irrational towards newcomers. They help through newcomer services and in settling down. So why would they want people to risk their own lives, be in quarantine. Further , there are hardly any flights...I just don't think they would be so irrational

Ziyad

Jul 29, 2019
Yikes my bad.
Not sure how I missed that, for reference here is the post :

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-and-coronavirus.681880/#post-8541271

Thats definitely a really bad sign.
That said, this was before the current guidance where IRCC themselves have said do not travel, but yeah would love to hear from @bhavind
The rejection to extend the COPR was before Canada introduced stricter measures to counter the threat of Covid-19. Since that post, Canada introduced travel bans which lasted more than a week and other countries have also closed their airports which makes it very difficult to travel at this stage.

This is why I believe that everyone’s whose COPR expires from the middle of March up till the end of April at the latest have valid reasons for not being able to travel.