+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
That's strange, cause someone posted on a facebook forum that they did cross the border with their COPR just yesterday.
Also the guidance seems very clear online, and it clearly includes land travel.
I agree. I said it states online that we are exempt. She stated it wasn't considered "essential" travel. I have zero idea what to do, other than wait for IRCC to return webforms, and may just drive to the border next week and see if it works out. If not, then at least we have proof that we tried? I have zero clue as I'm sure everyone in this forum is in the same boat.
PLEASE CONTINUE TO SHARE EXPERIENCES as it helps all of us.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Soph971

Mar 28, 2020
Yes, hotels are accepting international travellers for May. They seem like the only option available.

For those who have no friends or families in Canada, the major issue will be food. If you're travelling with kids it's going to be very tough, because even if one gets an Airbnb place with kitchen, they still can't go out for groceries.
I don't know if this would work but initially my plan is to do online grocery shopping ...perhaps with Metro or another major supermaket brand. Maybe ordering takeaway meals until the grocery order is delivered. Again I don't know if this would work but this is what I have in mind so far.

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Here's the link : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

It clearly mentions that exemptions apply under the "What are land travel exemptions" heading :

Temporary foreign workers, some international students and approved permanent residents who haven’t yet landed are now able to enter Canada.

The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.
What facebook forum are you talking about? I'd like to read their experiences/ tips!:)

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
What facebook forum are you talking about? I'd like to read their experiences/ tips!:)
This was on a forum called "Ask Kubeir" facebook group.
There were a couple of folks who crossed over land border last day or two.

But yes please do share, I would totally drive myself to the border and find out, its just that its a 20hour drive for me, so don't want to set out until some certainty. Am also monitoring multiple groups/forums to try to gauge the situation, but its sad that it still feels like after clear guidance online/twitter/etc the CBSA seems to be uncertain.

kangk

Mar 19, 2020
This was on a forum called "Ask Kubeir" facebook group.
There were a couple of folks who crossed over land border last day or two.

But yes please do share, I would totally drive myself to the border and find out, its just that its a 20hour drive for me, so don't want to set out until some certainty. Am also monitoring multiple groups/forums to try to gauge the situation, but its sad that it still feels like after clear guidance online/twitter/etc the CBSA seems to be uncertain.
Hi! Do you mean some people did flagpole successfully recently? CBSA agent told me from phone saying we can't do that.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
I am single with no kids. Planning to move to Calgary as soon as the travel ban is lifted.
For Groceries, my only option will be to ask a friend of mine who is also a new immigrant (moved in Dec 2019), to drop off some groceries at my hotel.
Yes, that could work. What about takeaway food? is it possible to have them delivered to your hotel?

From what I understand, we will be grilled by the officers during our landing about how we plan to isolate ourselves for 14 days and it has to be very convincing.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
I don't know if this would work but initially my plan is to do online grocery shopping ...perhaps with Metro or another major supermaket brand. Maybe ordering takeaway meals until the grocery order is delivered. Again I don't know if this would work but this is what I have in mind so far.
Yes this will surely work.

The point of self isolation is you must not come in contact with another person for 14 days. So having everything ordered to your door is the best way to go.

Reactions: CountessO

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
I am single with no kids. Planning to move to Calgary as soon as the travel ban is lifted.
For Groceries, my only option will be to ask a friend of mine who is also a new immigrant (moved in Dec 2019), to drop off some groceries at my hotel.
same here too,

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
same here too,

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi all, I called the CBSA today. I am a Canadian living in America with my American husband who received COPR. COPR expires April 12, we had intentions on crossing at the border, and turning around (CANNOT DO THIS). Then we said we'd stay and abide by the 14 day quarantine. The CBSA then reached out to the land border that we'd be crossing at and talked to the superintendent to see if this was possible. (NO). She stated (approx. 2 hours ago) they are NOT processing COPR requests. This is not essential travel (despite what it states online). She informed me if I came to the border today I would be refused according to the superintendent. I have contacted IRCC webform multiple times and have not received anything more than a generic message.
This is the content from IRCC email which I received 2 days back. Hope this helps, however, it only mentioned CoPR holders currently inside Canada:

If you are inside Canada:

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients, including those who have received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and are currently inside Canada.

Validating a COPR at a Port of Entry (POE)

· Due to the current travel restrictions, you should not travel to a POE to validate your COPR.

· Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and you will not receive these services.

IGOR_BR

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Hi all, I called the CBSA today. I am a Canadian living in America with my American husband who received COPR. COPR expires April 12, we had intentions on crossing at the border, and turning around (CANNOT DO THIS). Then we said we'd stay and abide by the 14 day quarantine. The CBSA then reached out to the land border that we'd be crossing at and talked to the superintendent to see if this was possible. (NO). She stated (approx. 2 hours ago) they are NOT processing COPR requests. This is not essential travel (despite what it states online). She informed me if I came to the border today I would be refused according to the superintendent. I have contacted IRCC webform multiple times and have not received anything more than a generic message.
Look what CBSA says on its website: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

Reactions: Lmac4

IGOR_BR

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
I agree. I said it states online that we are exempt. She stated it wasn't considered "essential" travel. I have zero idea what to do, other than wait for IRCC to return webforms, and may just drive to the border next week and see if it works out. If not, then at least we have proof that we tried? I have zero clue as I'm sure everyone in this forum is in the same boat.
PLEASE CONTINUE TO SHARE EXPERIENCES as it helps all of us.
It's not considered essential by CBSA, who has autonomy over the land borders.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

Cesscita

Mar 19, 2020
good day! I have a flight this April 1,2020 and Air Canada informed us that our flight will be moved and scheduled to April 3,2020. We will arrive in Canada by April 1,2020 2:40PM. Now, my question is CAN WE BOOK A HOTEL TO STAY FOR 2 DAYS TO LESSEN THE EXPOSURE OF VIRUS AT THE AIRPORT? ANYONE? What can you suggest? We will just lock ourselves for 2 days at the airport to lessen the risk, we dont have symptoms we never go out of our house since the pandemic and lockdown started, I feel okay and 100% sure not sick.