+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
You mean you were not allowed to enter canada? My flight is tomorrow omg.
I am pretty sure that is not the case.
There are plenty of people who have traveled by Air to Canada and landed with COPR last few days (including those who have updated this very thread).

By road it is less clear (though the exemptions from IRCC are clear, perhaps they are not being interpreted the same way by CBSA on land borders). But if you are flying should be fine. Please do update this thread on landing with your experience

Last edited:
Reactions: CountessO

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
@ryeCatcher , I am guessing you are in the US. I am new to this forum and I've gone through various posts to gain some context. Your thoughts will be helpful - my CoPR expires on 9th May and I will not be able to travel and self isolate in Canada for 14 days. Do you know of any cases where people living in the US have extended/sought a delayed travel? The reason I'm asking this is because I read here on the forum that someone in the US was denied an extension because of there being no travel restrictions between Canada and USA.

DIJ2

Mar 21, 2020
Hi Everyone- My COPR is valid till July, but my student visa in U.S is expiring in 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I could go back to my home country(India) from April till July because of travel ban to India. So I was planning to move to Canada by mid April via flight. Few questions:

1) Are they letting people in at Canadian Airports with COPR's? I will be travelling from U.S
2) If yes, do we have to quarantine ourselves? If yes, I have a cousin's family in Toronto, can I say that to the officer that I will be staying at the cousin's place for 14 days? Is there any scrutiny and further questioning by the officers regarding this?

IGOR_BR

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
That's helpful! I will print this out to have in my files as well- need everything for proof!
I’m currently in Calgary and need to do the landing process as well... Called the Border on Saturday and they said I shouldn’t go... I told the that the Immigration Canada has added COPR holders as part of the exemptions, the attendant was very emphatic saying that the borders are under CBSA jurisdiction and CBSA doesn’t consider COPR landing essential.

Reactions: Lmac4

Nishant_1010

Mar 17, 2020
We are in the same situation. COPR expires on April 13th and we too from India do not gonna be able to travel at all. Also it looks like lockdown may extend beyond mid April so I guess we jus have to send web forms n keep them informed n updated that we can’t travel n request them to extend our COPR. God help us all!
Got a Template response from IRCC. It does not answer my query. Guess we will just have to wait.

ankit8988

Apr 7, 2019
COPR expires on 4th April. I am from USA. Filed my extensions request on 9th March. I mentioned that our state has declared emergency, banned large gatherings and told them about our toddler son who will be traveling. But they rejected. The person said 'Upon review of your request to extend the validity of your visa, I am not satisfied that there are factors beyond your control that prevent you from landing in Canada prior to the expiry of your visa. The validity of your COPR and/or visa will not be extended'.
Hi Bhavind,

How did you file your extension request?

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
COPR expires on 4th April. I am from USA. Filed my extensions request on 9th March. I mentioned that our state has declared emergency, banned large gatherings and told them about our toddler son who will be traveling. But they rejected. The person said 'Upon review of your request to extend the validity of your visa, I am not satisfied that there are factors beyond your control that prevent you from landing in Canada prior to the expiry of your visa. The validity of your COPR and/or visa will not be extended'.
are you landing or did they extend finally?

Reactions: Rahil Lakhani

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Got a Template response from IRCC. It does not answer my query. Guess we will just have to wait.
They say if our copr expired they will contact us when the restrictions are lifted.But restrictions are already lifted.Why don't they start contacting ppl.Do they mean by Indian restrictions as my office is Delhi?I think Delhi office might be partially working .I think they will start process after 14th April.I don't know how much time all this is going to take given high no of applications.And if they ask to do medical then another 2 to 3 month.:(What do u all think??

Ziyad

Jul 29, 2019
They say if our copr expired they will contact us when the restrictions are lifted.But restrictions are already lifted.Why don't they start contacting ppl.Do they mean by Indian restrictions as my office is Delhi?I think Delhi office might be partially working .I think they will start process after 14th April.I don't know how much time all this is going to take given high no of applications.And if they ask to do medical then another 2 to 3 month.:(What do u all think??
I am also wondering as to how they will contact everyone considering there are so many applications. I hope they don’t ask for a remedical as that will require more time since most hospitals are probably not even in the position of offering that service for who knows how long!
It would be nice to know how long and what the process will be so that we can prepare accordingly.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

Dia89

Mar 16, 2020
Exactly! This is why I did nt think it was a good news, not for ppl like me atleast who have left jobs, were all ready to go to Canada and start a life there.

sherry111

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
I’m currently in Calgary and need to do the landing process as well... Called the Border on Saturday and they said I shouldn’t go... I told the that the Immigration Canada has added COPR holders as part of the exemptions, the attendant was very emphatic saying that the borders are under CBSA jurisdiction and CBSA doesn’t consider COPR landing essential.
You can enter Canada with COPR, but you can't do flagpole landing to get your PR.

Reactions: ryeCatcher