+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Are hotels still open and accepting international travellers to stay? If so, that might be the only option..
I'm waiting for the travel ban to be lifted in UAE to try to find a flight to Calgary
Yes, hotels are accepting international travellers for May. They seem like the only option available.

For those who have no friends or families in Canada, the major issue will be food. If you're travelling with kids it's going to be very tough, because even if one gets an Airbnb place with kitchen, they still can't go out for groceries.

Reactions: saad_im

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Yes, hotels are accepting international travellers for May. They seem like the only option available.

For those who have no friends or families in Canada, the major issue will be food. If you're travelling with kids it's going to be very tough, because even if one gets an Airbnb place with kitchen, they still can't go out for groceries.
I am single with no kids. Planning to move to Calgary as soon as the travel ban is lifted.
For Groceries, my only option will be to ask a friend of mine who is also a new immigrant (moved in Dec 2019), to drop off some groceries at my hotel.

Reactions: SithLord

Gaargi789

Sep 27, 2019
I am single with no kids. Planning to move to Calgary as soon as the travel ban is lifted.
For Groceries, my only option will be to ask a friend of mine who is also a new immigrant (moved in Dec 2019), to drop off some groceries at my hotel.
Hi, as far as I have read online there are many places that are delivering groceries at your doorstep!

Gaargi789

Sep 27, 2019
Would be great if you can share the details of these websites here. Are they available in Calgary as well?
You can check Walmart.ca and spud.ca I would suggest before booking a place try to see if there are any supermarkets nearby that deliver (however delivery charges may apply). I am also planning in similar way!

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I sent this e-mail to the consulate of Canada in Brazil:

Dear Immigration Officer,

I am writing again to ask if in my case, I could ask for an extension of my COPR. My COPR is going to expire on April 21.

The first time I asked, I received the response that now I am allowed to fly to Canada due to the new exemptions that were announced on March 20 and are now in place. However, traveling right now seems to be unsafe for me and I would not like to put my husband and me at risk unless is the only option to keep our visa status.

Please advise me about what should I do...there is nothing on the CIC website that explain the situation of those who are still able to fly but would not like to take the risk of getting the COVID-19 while in transit to Canada.

I hope to hear from you soon.

——————-
They’ve just replied me:

There will not be any penalty for not being able to travel at the moment. Please submit your further requests or inquiries via Webform: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

Please be advised that depending on the situation, you may need to redo your medical exams. Panel physicians are currently not completing the medical exams, but this won’t impact your

PR application in the long run.

Regards,

Immigration Section/Section d’immigration (01545)

Consulate General of Canada/ Consulat general du Canada
Thank you so much for sharing that

and also for the other person who shared a positive response as well
I am glad that people are receiving a positive response because it is a good sign for me , I have been royally stressed and I can't sleep because of this situation , my COPR Expired today , but obviously i didn't travel.

I am afraid of the virus , I have Asthma
Also , I will be denied access back to my resident country , which its essential for me to come back to finalize important stuff.

my resident country will allow you to fly out - but if you did you might loose your residency and you can't come back.

Gaargi789

Sep 27, 2019
You can check Walmart.ca and spud.ca I would suggest before booking a place try to see if there are any supermarkets nearby that deliver (however delivery charges may apply). I am also planning in similar way!
Please do let me know if you come across good places to stay coz even I’m planning to go to Alberta. Would be really helpful!

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the Web form to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next.

I took my decision not to travel depending on that part - that for me is a clear guidance that you are allowed to postpone your travel. as they are saying once it is possible to travel send us another web form.

I trust the Canadian government , they showed during the crises that they care about their citizens and permanent residents. and I am confident that they will be compassionate with us in this unprecedented circumstance.

of course , for the ones who decided to travel - I respect their decision too. It is different from one person to another.

jovich

Aug 10, 2019
Hi everyone,

Like all of you, we have our CPOR (for us the expiration is 6th May). Our flights are booked with Air Canada for 28th April.
The thing is that our finial destination is Ottawa but our flight is not direct. We will travel from London Heathrow to Toronto and then from Toronto to Ottawa with a bit more than 1 hour transit in Toronto.

We have done some research but we are still not 100% sure about the following. Would any of you know ?

1) Is it realistic to think we could do the landing + SIN application in Toronto within less than 1 hour in this actual COVID 19 context ? (we understand that presently the queue of the international travellers should be small nowadays). Would you rather recommend to try to re-book a later connection flight to Ottawa? (How long should we really need in this Covid-19 context ?)

2) Would we be required to do the 14 days isolation in Toronto or would we be allowed to board our second flight to Ottawa on that same day ? (We would of course isolate in Ottawa in that case)

3) We will only be landing with our 2 checking and 2 carry on suitcases :) no shipping would follow us. Should we still anticipate to have to declare something? We are not really sure wether items such as laptop and tablets should be declared. Ours are from 2013-14 lol ... in good condition though ...but in our opinion don't worth "that" much and they would be landing with us anyway. Is the declaration only for items that may arrive after us?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Stay safe !
As of now service canada are closed, you cant get SIN

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Has anyone filed a IRCC webform for extension and actually heard anything back that isn't a generic message?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi all, I called the CBSA today. I am a Canadian living in America with my American husband who received COPR. COPR expires April 12, we had intentions on crossing at the border, and turning around (CANNOT DO THIS). Then we said we'd stay and abide by the 14 day quarantine. The CBSA then reached out to the land border that we'd be crossing at and talked to the superintendent to see if this was possible. (NO). She stated (approx. 2 hours ago) they are NOT processing COPR requests. This is not essential travel (despite what it states online). She informed me if I came to the border today I would be refused according to the superintendent. I have contacted IRCC webform multiple times and have not received anything more than a generic message.
That's strange, cause someone posted on a facebook forum that they did cross the border with their COPR just yesterday.
Also the guidance seems very clear online, and it clearly includes land travel.

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Hi all, I called the CBSA today. I am a Canadian living in America with my American husband who received COPR. COPR expires April 12, we had intentions on crossing at the border, and turning around (CANNOT DO THIS). Then we said we'd stay and abide by the 14 day quarantine. The CBSA then reached out to the land border that we'd be crossing at and talked to the superintendent to see if this was possible. (NO). She stated (approx. 2 hours ago) they are NOT processing COPR requests. This is not essential travel (despite what it states online). She informed me if I came to the border today I would be refused according to the superintendent. I have contacted IRCC webform multiple times and have not received anything more than a generic message.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
That's strange, cause someone posted on a facebook forum that they did cross the border with their COPR just yesterday.
Also the guidance seems very clear online, and it clearly includes land travel.
Here's the link : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

It clearly mentions that exemptions apply under the "What are land travel exemptions" heading :

Temporary foreign workers, some international students and approved permanent residents who haven’t yet landed are now able to enter Canada.

The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.

Reactions: Lmac4