+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
How long will the self isolation rule last? I'm planning on travelling in May?

For someone with no friends or family in Canada will they be allowed to get groceries during self isolation? Seems very difficult to get self isolated for 14 days. Not having much luck with airbnb. Best thing to do is to get locked up in a hotel room.

How are others dealing with self isolation?

w_P

Star Member
Mar 20, 2020
Go this reply from IRCC today:

We have received your enquiry regarding travel to Canada within the validity date of your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and visa (if required).

Please note that travel restrictions have been implemented to protect Canada from the outbreak of COVID-19. However, the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order includes a number of exemptions to these restrictions, including an exemption for foreign nationals who received written notice that their application for permanent residence was approved on or before March 18, 2020. As your documents were issued prior to this deadline, you fall under this exemption and are not prevented from traveling to Canada on this basis.

If you are travelling to Canada soon, you should take note of the following:
  • If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.
  • When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must make arrangements to isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.
**It is recommend that you refer to the IRCC website and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for more details and for any further updates prior to undertaking any travel to Canada.

Please be advised that you will not be penalized if you are unable to travel within the validity of your documents. If you are unable to travel before your documents expire, please contact our office using a IRCC Web form within 90 days following expiry of your documents.

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.

Fazzio

Jun 4, 2019

We have received your enquiry regarding travel to Canada within the validity date of your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and visa (if required).

Please note that travel restrictions have been implemented to protect Canada from the outbreak of COVID-19. However, the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order includes a number of exemptions to these restrictions, including an exemption for foreign nationals who received written notice that their application for permanent residence was approved on or before March 18, 2020. As your documents were issued prior to this deadline, you fall under this exemption and are not prevented from traveling to Canada on this basis.

• If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.
  • When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must make arrangements to isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.
**It is recommend that you refer to the IRCC website and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for more details and for any further updates prior to undertaking any travel to Canada.

Please be advised that you will not be penalized if you are unable to travel within the validity of your documents. If you are unable to travel before your documents expire, please contact our office using a IRCC Web form within 90 days following expiry of your documents.

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.
Remains the question: what is considered “to be unable to travel “?
I’ve just told them that I was afraid to fly due to the pandemic and they replied that they won’t penalize those who are unable to travel...

Reactions: ryeCatcher

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
I’ve just received an e-mail from the consulate and they told me there won’t be any penalty for not being able to fly. I stated that my reason was that I would not like to take the risk of getting the COVID-19 while in transit to Canada.
awesome..
They have made it clear

w_P

Star Member
Mar 20, 2020
Remains the question: what is considered “to be unable to travel “?
I’ve just told them that I was afraid to fly due to the pandemic and they replied that they won’t penalize those who are unable to travel...
I informed them that I am unable to fly due to flights unavailability and lockdown in the wake of Covid-19.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada

For someone with no friends or family in Canada will they be allowed to get groceries during self isolation? Seems very difficult to get self isolated for 14 days. Not having much luck with airbnb. Best thing to do is to get locked up in a hotel room.

Are hotels still open and accepting international travellers to stay? If so, that might be the only option..
I'm waiting for the travel ban to be lifted in UAE to try to find a flight to Calgary

smpbcpr

Feb 7, 2020

Hi,

This is a better response than what I received. At least they were clear in their response that you would not be penalized for the inability to travel.

I had a couple of questions.
1. What is your CoPR expiry date?
2. Did you raise a Webform or send a mail to the VO

w_P

Star Member
Mar 20, 2020
Hi,

This is a better response than what I received. At least they were clear in their response that you would not be penalized for the inability to travel.

1. 14th of next month
2. Webform

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
My COPR expires on April 26,2020.our country implemented travel ban on 22 March 2020 till 14 April 2020 as of now.as a result my confirmed air tickets of air Canada on 04 April 2020 have been cancelled .further my Airbnb was also cancelled.now what I want to ask is that since I don't know if travel ban will be lifted I can't get tickets done right now , air Canada has suspended all its flights from Delhi to Toronto for April.no direct connections available, tickets via transit are unsafe plus have transit Visa requirements which is again not possible.Air India is almost 2000 dollars for one side fare per person . I have no family in Canada.self isolation and stocking up essentials before arrival, not using public transportation and chosing a neighborhood without elderly people and vulnerae population are challenges I am facing. Plus risk of infection of travelling with a 5 year old at this time.so that's why I need an extension. Looking forward to some inputs
Cant you just quote these problems and ask for extension .Not getting a flight is a valid reason.Also getting a flight at unaffordable prices is also a valid reason.Like u can not spend lakhs.Though I had booked flight with Air Canada for 21st for total 473000 .I booked on 15th march and 16th travel ban was declared Air canada was not agreeing that I am banned They say I am pr only.And were not ready to give full refund .Still fight is going on My 470000 rs are stuck with them.I don't know when will they refund.And whether full or after penalty.
These are problems are valid.Suppose u book on 13th and on 14 th they say that lockdown is extended then ur money will also be stuck.
Tricky situation.really stressful.Though I think I am safe as my visa expired during the ban.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018

30th June I think.Not allowed to do groceries.

Reactions: SithLord

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Hi,

Right this is better response .I got a brief reply that if Inam unable to travel no need to mail I will be contacted etc.U sent web form to which vo.

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Cant you just quote these problems and ask for extension .Not getting a flight is a valid reason.Also getting a flight at unaffordable prices is also a valid reason.Like u can not spend lakhs.Though I had booked flight with Air Canada for 21st for total 473000 .I booked on 15th march and 16th travel ban was declared Air canada was not agreeing that I am banned They say I am pr only.And were not ready to give full refund .Still fight is going on My 470000 rs are stuck with them.I don't know when will they refund.And whether full or after penalty.
These are problems are valid.Suppose u book on 13th and on 14 th they say that lockdown is extended then ur money will also be stuck.
Tricky situation.really stressful.Though I think I am safe as my visa expired during the ban.
Exactly