+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Security Clearance

bctech

Jun 26, 2017
I'm glad I found this post, although I've been waiting a bit longer than some of you, It makes feel better to know I'm not the only 1

Arrived in Canada in 2005

I applied in July of 2016 (I procrastinated sending everything in..)

As of September 2018, still "In Process", I've called CIC so many times, I know most people by name (jk), and I've had letters sent to the local office in my city. I've even gone in to the local office to ask and got lucky enough that someone checked my UCI even though they weren't supposed to (they only help people with appointments). That's when I found out they were doing "Clearances through 2nd parties" which neither of us really knew what that meant.

Finally today I decided to google it and here I am and it does sound like they are just massively backed up. Hope this helps :)

Appreciate your story. I called them a month ago and was told they finally cleared my background check. But now the backlog is in the decision making. They asked me to call them if I reach the 1-year threshold. not sure that'd be helpful to anyone else applying.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm glad I found this post, although I've been waiting a bit longer than some of you, It makes feel better to know I'm not the only 1

As of September 2018, still "In Process", I've called CIC so many times, I know most people by name (jk), and I've had letters sent to the local office in my city. I've even gone in to the local office to ask and got lucky enough that someone checked my UCI even though they weren't supposed to (they only help people with appointments). That's when I found out they were doing "Clearances through 2nd parties" which neither of us really knew what that meant.

Finally today I decided to google it and here I am and it does sound like they are just massively backed up. Hope this helps :)
Two years with nothing ? I am not sure if I am heading that way... but if that’s the case, i will just give up and forget about it ...

Reactions: johnjkjk

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
What I don’t understand is, how come the time it takes could be so massively different for the same person’s PR and citizenship ? Does that mean one of them wasn’t done right ?

Ottawan

Nov 11, 2011

Wow. Are you serious? You applied in July 2016? That’s over two years now.

I highly recommend you to consult a lawyer and see if you go for writ of mandamus.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
This is what happens when TWO government agencies get involved: the chance of your paperwork getting forgotten in a drawer is doubled...

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
This is what happens when TWO government agencies get involved: the chance of your paperwork getting forgotten in a drawer is doubled...
Nonono that’s not possible, the government workers are diligent and the review process is fair and people should be ashamed of themselves for doubting that

atlepol

Jun 13, 2018
Guys, an update on my application. I had sent one request for access to information. Once i did not receive the required within 6 weeks, I sent them an email asking for clarification. I received a reply after 2 weeks that there is a backlog and the agent will be put my request to be processed as priority. That was 18th of October. Fast forward today, I received my invitation for Oath. :) Not saying this will expedite things for you, but you may try too :)

TheRajputian

Nov 25, 2018
Saskatoon
Visa Office......
Saskatoon
I just finished my citizenship test yesterday. During the interview, the lady told me that they still haven't got my security clearance yet. I asked her how long would that take. She said "5 months because of a huge backlog". Does everyone experience that or is this just me? My impression is that the whole process after citizenship test is fairly fast.

Thank you!
Well I am really upset with my Ctznshp application stuff with CIC. Its like 11th Month going on. Whenever I called CIC agent told me that they still haven't got my security clearance yet. I asked him how long would that take and He replied as an uncertain time length. CIC agent also told me on ph that my application is currently in your local immigration office for further step. Its really frustrating to wait. I done with my fingerprinting on June 20th and didn't hear anything from them till now. They didn't even schedule me for an exam either. I e-mailed My local immigration office and they told me that they will schedule an exam once they receive my security clearance from a third party.

Any recommendation or information regarding my case would be highly appreciated.

Here is the detail of my online status: (Copy & Pasted)
Client Application Status
FAQ | Security
Citizenship
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on January 25, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on March 16, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on May 28, 2018.
  4. We sent you correspondence on June 14, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

Last edited:

TheRajputian

Nov 25, 2018
Saskatoon
Visa Office......
Saskatoon
Guys, an update on my application. I had sent one request for access to information. Once i did not receive the required within 6 weeks, I sent them an email asking for clarification. I received a reply after 2 weeks that there is a backlog and the agent will be put my request to be processed as priority. That was 18th of October. Fast forward today, I received my invitation for Oath. :) Not saying this will expedite things for you, but you may try too :)
When you can send request to access the info? like after how many months?

Oct 3, 2018
Wow. Are you serious? You applied in July 2016? That’s over two years now.

I highly recommend you to consult a lawyer and see if you go for writ of mandamus.
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on July 18, 2016.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on August 8, 2016.
  3. We started processing your application on August 16, 2016.
Hey thanks for your response, I'll contact a lawyer on monday

I was looking at maybe a FOI to get case notes. I really wasn't worried until I saw your response. Thanks again I'll try to keep this updated for everyone

hussy74

Dec 15, 2014
I am in the same boat.
Test Date : Oct 10, 2018
Waiting for decision made and oath.
Officer told me that my file has been submitted for security clearance on July 17, 2018 and usually it takes 3-6 months. 6 months have passed now and I still see IP.

hcyrusr

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY - NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26-02-2014
Med's Request
12-03-2014
Med's Done....
20-03-2014
I also took my test in Oct still no DM

Fallen_Warrior

May 16, 2013
Hello,

I have applied my citizenship since Feb 2018 but no test invite still. I made ATIP request to both IRCC and CSIS and got my notes 2 days ago. IRCC notes showed that:

Security: Blank
Criminality: Passed
Immigration clearance (Residence, knowledge, etc): Not started

Last update on the file was in June, 2018.

CSIS sent the letter stating that security clearance still in progress.

I am so tired of this process. My PR took 4 years due to this security issue. I applied in 2011 and got it in 2015. I had a 4 hour long security interview with CSIS back in 2012. They cleared me after 4 months of the interview but IRCC kept sitting on my file until I filed mandamus, and that's when wheels started turning and they issued me the PR. Now, I am again going through the same mess. I am not quite sure why couldn't they clear my security like average people, since they already have done it extensively for my PR.

Is there anyone else who is facing the same dilemma? Any guess what's happening with my file?

My timeline is:

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on February 5, 2018.

2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canadaon February 28, 2018.

3. We started processing your application on May 30, 2018.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
Hello,

I have applied my citizenship since Feb 2018 but no test invite still. I made ATIP request to both IRCC and CSIS and got my notes 2 days ago. IRCC notes showed that:

Security: Blank
Criminality: Passed
Immigration clearance (Residence, knowledge, etc): Not started

Last update on the file was in June, 2018.

CSIS sent the letter stating that security clearance still in progress.

I am so tired of this process. My PR took 4 years due to this security issue. I applied in 2011 and got it in 2015. I had a 4 hour long security interview with CSIS back in 2012. They cleared me after 4 months of the interview but IRCC kept sitting on my file until I filed mandamus, and that's when wheels started turning and they issued me the PR. Now, I am again going through the same mess. I am not quite sure why couldn't they clear my security like average people, since they already have done it extensively for my PR.

Is there anyone else who is facing the same dilemma? Any guess what's happening with my file?

My timeline is:

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on February 5, 2018.

2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canadaon February 28, 2018.

3. We started processing your application on May 30, 2018.
Interesting. Can you give us a hint what were the CSIS concerns during the interview.